Backup failure on Exchange 2K - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup failure on Exchange 2K - Veritas Backup Exec ; One of our clients is using Backup Exec 8.5 in Win2K Exchange server, within the last few days the backup job has seemed to pause during every backup. It should backup about 16Gb of data, every backup gets to 6Gb ...

  1. Backup failure on Exchange 2K

    One of our clients is using Backup Exec 8.5 in Win2K Exchange server, within
    the last few days the backup job has seemed to pause during every backup. It
    should backup about 16Gb of data, every backup gets to 6Gb then it stops
    writing to the tape, the backup doesn't quit or report a failure, it keeps
    going, and would keep going for days if I left it but it never adds anything
    more to the data. If we try to abort the backup it doesn't stop, if we try
    to stop the services the Job Engine fails to stop, the only way we can stop
    things completely is to open up Task Manager and manually stop the Backup
    Exec process's

    If I check the log before stopping the services its backed up Mailbox data,
    system state but no data on the Hard drives (or if it has its not reported
    in the log)

    Any ideas, or pointers to relevant tech documents ??

    Regards
    Jeff Richardson

  2. Re: Backup failure on Exchange 2K

    What happens when you split the job up into several jobs by data type i.e.
    IS backup, MBX backup, System State backup and File System Backup?

    This might provide a possible clue is to the true origin of the problem!

    Real Dude

    "Jeff Richardson" wrote in message
    > One of our clients is using Backup Exec 8.5 in Win2K Exchange server,

    within
    > the last few days the backup job has seemed to pause during every backup.

    It
    > should backup about 16Gb of data, every backup gets to 6Gb then it stops
    > writing to the tape, the backup doesn't quit or report a failure, it keeps
    > going, and would keep going for days if I left it but it never adds

    anything
    > more to the data. If we try to abort the backup it doesn't stop, if we

    try
    > to stop the services the Job Engine fails to stop, the only way we can

    stop
    > things completely is to open up Task Manager and manually stop the Backup
    > Exec process's
    >
    > If I check the log before stopping the services its backed up Mailbox

    data,
    > system state but no data on the Hard drives (or if it has its not reported
    > in the log)
    >
    > Any ideas, or pointers to relevant tech documents ??
    >
    > Regards
    > Jeff Richardson

+ Reply to Thread