Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I am just in trouble with "Backup and Media Service". I wanted to stop it. Now it has been in "stopping" status, for several hours. I have tried to stop the process "pvlsvr.exe" with the Task Manager. Access Denied ...

  1. Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service

    Hi,

    I am just in trouble with "Backup and Media Service". I wanted to stop it.
    Now it has been in "stopping" status, for several hours.
    I have tried to stop the process "pvlsvr.exe" with the Task Manager. Access
    Denied is the answer I get.
    I also tried to kill the process with a Dos command.
    I get the following answer : "process #xxx could not be killed"

    What is the alternative to a reboot of the server, which would be a very
    extreme and disturbing solution.

    Thanks for your help.

    Marc

  2. Re: Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service

    There are some batch files that are included
    with Backup Exec that allow you to stop
    and start the relevant services.

    Look for them and let us know if this solves
    your problem.

    pdp

    > I am just in trouble with "Backup and Media Service". I wanted to stop it.
    > Now it has been in "stopping" status, for several hours.
    > I have tried to stop the process "pvlsvr.exe" with the Task Manager.

    Access
    > Denied is the answer I get.
    > I also tried to kill the process with a Dos command.
    > I get the following answer : "process #xxx could not be killed"
    >
    > What is the alternative to a reboot of the server, which would be a very
    > extreme and disturbing solution.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    > Marc
    > marc.coan@swiss.com

  3. Re: Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service

    Thanks Phil for your help.
    I just tried to execute the "bestop.cmd" command. Without success!
    I got a message which told me that the service (B.E. Device and Media Service)
    could not be stopped.
    I think I will have no other choici than a reboot of the server.

    "Phil Pucci" wrote:
    >There are some batch files that are included
    >with Backup Exec that allow you to stop
    >and start the relevant services.
    >
    >Look for them and let us know if this solves
    >your problem.
    >
    >pdp
    >
    >> I am just in trouble with "Backup and Media Service". I wanted to stop

    it.
    >> Now it has been in "stopping" status, for several hours.
    >> I have tried to stop the process "pvlsvr.exe" with the Task Manager.

    >Access
    >> Denied is the answer I get.
    >> I also tried to kill the process with a Dos command.
    >> I get the following answer : "process #xxx could not be killed"
    >>
    >> What is the alternative to a reboot of the server, which would be a very
    >> extreme and disturbing solution.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >> Marc
    >> marc.coan@swiss.com

  4. Re: Can't stop "pvlsrv.exe" service

    Which version are you running?

    For what it's worth, the BAT files I mentioned
    are named BESTOP.BAT and BESTART.BAT
    and they have the following contents:

    BESTOP.BAT:
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Naming Service" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Job Engine" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Server" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Alert Server" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Device & Media Service" > nul
    net stop "Backup Exec 8.x Notification Server" > nul

    BESTART.BAT
    net start "Backup Exec 8.x Agent Browser" > nul
    net start "Backup Exec 8.x Naming Service" > nul

    We had problems a few years back with Backup Exec
    version 7.3 and pvlsvr.exe and it was eventually
    solved by updating the MDAC. If this has any relevance
    to your problem, you can visit the following link for more
    information:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...TF-8&safe=off&
    selm=38a88976%240%241405%40news.execpc.com

    "Marco" wrote ...
    > Thanks Phil for your help.
    > I just tried to execute the "bestop.cmd" command. Without success!
    > I got a message which told me that the service (B.E. Device and Media

    Service)
    > could not be stopped.
    > I think I will have no other choici than a reboot of the server.

    > "Phil Pucci" wrote:
    > >There are some batch files that are included
    > >with Backup Exec that allow you to stop
    > >and start the relevant services.
    > >
    > >Look for them and let us know if this solves
    > >your problem.
    > >
    > >pdp

    > >> I am just in trouble with "Backup and Media Service". I wanted to stop

    it.
    > >> Now it has been in "stopping" status, for several hours.
    > >> I have tried to stop the process "pvlsvr.exe" with the Task Manager.

    Access
    > >> Denied is the answer I get.
    > >> I also tried to kill the process with a Dos command.
    > >> I get the following answer : "process #xxx could not be killed"
    > >>
    > >> What is the alternative to a reboot of the server, which would be a

    very
    > >> extreme and disturbing solution.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help.
    > >> Marc