Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC - Veritas Backup Exec ; I try to install BE on WIN2K SP3 server, but the spalsh screen comes up, the progress bar gets to 100%, stays there for a while then the splash screen disappears. THere is still an NTVDM and a few other ...

  1. Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC

    I try to install BE on WIN2K SP3 server, but the spalsh screen comes up, the
    progress bar gets to 100%, stays there for a while then the splash screen
    disappears. THere is still an NTVDM and a few other apps running, but no
    install.

    I have seen this before but can;t remember the fix, nor find the answer.

    Can anyone help?

  2. Re: Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC

    Well, I tried again but just left the server with the NTVDM running etc, and
    after about 15 minutes, the install started.

    Weird.

    Symon

    "Symon Thurlow" wrote:

    >I try to install BE on WIN2K SP3 server, but the spalsh screen comes up,

    the
    >progress bar gets to 100%, stays there for a while then the splash screen
    >disappears. THere is still an NTVDM and a few other apps running, but no
    >install.
    >
    >I have seen this before but can;t remember the fix, nor find the answer.
    >
    >Can anyone help?

  3. Re: Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC

    can i get some info.
    how much memory physcial and available?
    also
    what is the MDAC version? hklm\sftware\microsoft\data access > version value?

    services already running on server?
    intensive usage etc

    it does sound like a memory problem to me.
    but could be one of many things

  4. Re: Cannot install BE 8.6 on WIN2K SP3 DC

    Typical InstallShield issue when running the one-file setup type.
    There are several issues with InstallShield:
    1) Outlook is running on computer. The expansion phase starts but
    hangs near 100% until Outlook is closed. Then immediately the
    InstallShield start page is shown. If Outlok is left on then at a
    later time (like 15-60 minutes later) the expansion finishes and the
    screen pops up. Looks like this is what you are seeing. You are by any
    chance not running Outlook on the server are you?

    2) Installshield fails because it cannot locate the temporary folder
    in which to expand the contents of the one file exe and continue from
    there. I really don't know where it is looking but on some customer
    PC:s we never got the one file setup to work so we sent the client a
    zipfile with the setup in DISK1/DISK2/DISK3 etc subdirs. Then it
    worked just fine.

    /Bo

    On 28 Aug 2002 05:13:22 -0400, "Symon Thurlow"
    wrote:

    >Well, I tried again but just left the server with the NTVDM running etc, and
    >after about 15 minutes, the install started.
    >
    >Weird.
    >
    >Symon
    >
    >"Symon Thurlow" wrote:
    >>
    >>I try to install BE on WIN2K SP3 server, but the spalsh screen comes up,

    >the
    >>progress bar gets to 100%, stays there for a while then the splash screen
    >>disappears. THere is still an NTVDM and a few other apps running, but no
    >>install.
    >>
    >>I have seen this before but can;t remember the fix, nor find the answer.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help?

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@dontspamme.telia.com

+ Reply to Thread