Volume name is invalid when using OFO.... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Volume name is invalid when using OFO.... - Veritas Backup Exec ; OK, what is the reason for this uncanny error message? I get it on my system using BE 8.6 b 3878 on a Win-XP Pro machine that has been running these backups fine since January. Now 100% fail with this ...

  1. Volume name is invalid when using OFO....

    OK,
    what is the reason for this uncanny error message?
    I get it on my system using BE 8.6 b 3878 on a Win-XP Pro machine that
    has been running these backups fine since January. Now 100% fail with
    this message.

    What is the volume name it is looking for?
    I do have the OFO fix installed and I have rerun the OFO Wizard
    several times over to no avail.

    Message:

    OFO: Volume name is invalid or not available.
    OFO: Initialization failure on: "C:"

    Please help...

    /Bo B

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@dontspamme.telia.com

  2. Re: Volume name is invalid when using OFO....

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245547.htm

    also the references at the bottom of the TechNote.

    Bo Berglund wrote:
    >OK,
    >what is the reason for this uncanny error message?
    >I get it on my system using BE 8.6 b 3878 on a Win-XP Pro machine that
    >has been running these backups fine since January. Now 100% fail with
    >this message.
    >
    >What is the volume name it is looking for?
    >I do have the OFO fix installed and I have rerun the OFO Wizard
    >several times over to no avail.
    >
    >Message:
    >
    >OFO: Volume name is invalid or not available.
    >OFO: Initialization failure on: "C:"
    >
    >Please help...
    >
    >/Bo B
    >
    >Bo Berglund
    >bo.berglund@dontspamme.telia.com

  3. Re: Volume name is invalid when using OFO....

    Following the links on your link I got to this page:
    On it is stated that:
    "Static volumes must be created on the local machine being targeted
    for the OFO backup operation. Be sure to enter a trailing backslash (
    \ ) at the end of the path. (Figure 2)."

    When I revisited the OFO Wizard I noted that there was no trailing
    backslash in the 'Static volume location' so I used the ellipsis
    button to navigate to the folder to use and clicked OK. Surprise! BE
    did *not* put the backslash in place!!!
    So if people use the browser to set the folder location they will wind
    up with a path that does not end with \.
    Being a software developer I cannot believe that the \ is really
    needed and yet not entered by the browsing function. This is a bug to
    me.
    Don't know yet if this is my problem, but I will manually start the
    job now and watch the results.
    I will report back if this turns out to be the solution.

    /Bo

    On 26 Aug 2002 18:32:01 -0400, "Ken Putnam"
    wrote:

    >See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/245547.htm
    >
    >also the references at the bottom of the TechNote.
    >
    >Bo Berglund wrote:
    >>OK,
    >>what is the reason for this uncanny error message?
    >>I get it on my system using BE 8.6 b 3878 on a Win-XP Pro machine that
    >>has been running these backups fine since January. Now 100% fail with
    >>this message.
    >>
    >>What is the volume name it is looking for?
    >>I do have the OFO fix installed and I have rerun the OFO Wizard
    >>several times over to no avail.
    >>
    >>Message:
    >>
    >>OFO: Volume name is invalid or not available.
    >>OFO: Initialization failure on: "C:"
    >>
    >>Please help...
    >>
    >>/Bo B
    >>
    >>Bo Berglund
    >>bo.berglund@dontspamme.telia.com

    Bo Berglund
    bo.berglund@dontspamme.telia.com

  4. Re: Volume name is invalid when using OFO....

    No, putting the backslash at the end of the static volume location
    string did *not* solve the problem. BE still complains about the
    invalid volume name.
    According to the Veritas docs there are these possible causes for my
    problem:
    1) EZ CD Creator 5 is installed. Not in my case.
    2) Compaq SANworks Virtual Replicator is running. Not in my case.
    3) Machine specific boot partition exists. Not in my case.

    I don't have any of the cases indicated by the docs I have been
    adviced to look at.
    So what do I do now?

    /Bo

+ Reply to Thread