Backing up networked NT machine - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backing up networked NT machine - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I'm new to BENT (using 8.5 w/admin), I have an Sun and another NT machine that I'd like to backup. I installed a backup agent on the Sun and this shows up nicely in BENT. However, I'm having a ...

  1. Backing up networked NT machine

    Hi,

    I'm new to BENT (using 8.5 w/admin), I have an Sun and another
    NT machine that I'd like to backup. I installed a backup agent
    on the Sun and this shows up nicely in BENT. However, I'm
    having a problem with the NT machine that is on the network.
    I can see it using Network Neighborhood OK, I can see it in BENT
    under the Entire Network, but I get a grew box (can select any folders for
    backup).
    I tried adding the IP address to the User Defined Share, and again it shows
    up all gray.

    Suggestions, how do I back up a NT machine on the network?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Backing up networked NT machine

    If the other NT machine is a ServerOS, then yo need to purchase and install
    a copy of the Remote Agent. Workstation/Pro machines need an agent, but
    it's free.

    "Ken Pui" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm new to BENT (using 8.5 w/admin), I have an Sun and another
    >NT machine that I'd like to backup. I installed a backup agent
    >on the Sun and this shows up nicely in BENT. However, I'm
    >having a problem with the NT machine that is on the network.
    >I can see it using Network Neighborhood OK, I can see it in BENT
    >under the Entire Network, but I get a grew box (can select any folders for
    >backup).
    >I tried adding the IP address to the User Defined Share, and again it shows
    >up all gray.
    >
    >Suggestions, how do I back up a NT machine on the network?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Backing up networked NT machine

    You have to pay to back up a NT server remotely, when Veritas provides free
    agents for all other OSs?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >If the other NT machine is a ServerOS, then yo need to purchase and install
    >a copy of the Remote Agent. Workstation/Pro machines need an agent, but
    >it's free.
    >

    >"Ken Pui" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I'm new to BENT (using 8.5 w/admin), I have an Sun and another
    >>NT machine that I'd like to backup. I installed a backup agent
    >>on the Sun and this shows up nicely in BENT. However, I'm
    >>having a problem with the NT machine that is on the network.
    >>I can see it using Network Neighborhood OK, I can see it in BENT
    >>under the Entire Network, but I get a grew box (can select any folders

    for
    >>backup).
    >>I tried adding the IP address to the User Defined Share, and again it shows
    >>up all gray.
    >>
    >>Suggestions, how do I back up a NT machine on the network?
    >>
    >>Thanks

  4. Re: Backing up networked NT machine

    Netware Agent isn't free either, Just Unix and Win9x

    Ken Pui wrote:

    >You have to pay to back up a NT server remotely, when Veritas provides free
    >agents for all other OSs?
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >
    >>If the other NT machine is a ServerOS, then yo need to purchase and install
    >>a copy of the Remote Agent. Workstation/Pro machines need an agent, but
    >>it's free.
    >>

    >>"Ken Pui" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I'm new to BENT (using 8.5 w/admin), I have an Sun and another
    >>>NT machine that I'd like to backup. I installed a backup agent
    >>>on the Sun and this shows up nicely in BENT. However, I'm
    >>>having a problem with the NT machine that is on the network.
    >>>I can see it using Network Neighborhood OK, I can see it in BENT
    >>>under the Entire Network, but I get a grew box (can select any folders
    >>>

    >for
    >
    >>>backup).
    >>>I tried adding the IP address to the User Defined Share, and again it shows
    >>>up all gray.
    >>>
    >>>Suggestions, how do I back up a NT machine on the network?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread