Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Ok, it doesn't seem like this is possible. After you partition the slots (we have 50), you have to specify under each job using something like "Compaq Library [0000..0025]" as device to use, so the backup job would use that ...

  1. Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots??

    Ok, it doesn't seem like this is possible. After you partition the slots
    (we have 50), you have to specify under each job using something like
    "Compaq Library [0000..0025]" as device to use, so the backup job would use
    that particular bank of tapes for back. However, the backup job would
    always use the first dirve for backup unless a concurrent job is running,
    then it goes to the second one (we have 4 drives). I am trying to balance
    this out so we can use all 4 drives. But this seems impossible if slot
    partition is used.

    Any ideas?

    thanks

  2. Re: Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots??

    Sorry, Ronnie. As far as I know there is no other way!

    "Ronnie" wrote in message news:3d6538a3$1@hronntp01....
    > Ok, it doesn't seem like this is possible. After you partition the slots
    > (we have 50), you have to specify under each job using something like
    > "Compaq Library [0000..0025]" as device to use, so the backup job would

    use
    > that particular bank of tapes for back. However, the backup job would
    > always use the first dirve for backup unless a concurrent job is running,
    > then it goes to the second one (we have 4 drives). I am trying to balance
    > this out so we can use all 4 drives. But this seems impossible if slot
    > partition is used.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > thanks

  3. Re: Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots??

    Real Dude, THERE IS A WAY! I decided to give Veritas a call and found the
    following solution. You have to play around with the drive pools.

    "Real Dude" wrote in message
    > Sorry, Ronnie. As far as I know there is no other way!

  4. Re: Can you specify drive to use with partitioned slots??

    Thanks, man!

    "Ronnie" wrote in message news:3d6627df$1@hronntp01....
    > Real Dude, THERE IS A WAY! I decided to give Veritas a call and found the
    > following solution. You have to play around with the drive pools.
    >
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241773.htm
    >
    > "Real Dude" wrote in message
    > > Sorry, Ronnie. As far as I know there is no other way!

+ Reply to Thread