Unable to create/select media set - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to create/select media set - Veritas Backup Exec ; Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges. I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter. The new media set box ...

  1. Unable to create/select media set

    Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.

    I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because there
    is no media set).

    TIA,

    Bob

  2. Re: Unable to create/select media set

    Have you tried just going to the Media tab, then right clicking on the left
    pane and creating it that way? (There should be a media set called "Media
    Set 1" created by the install already)

    "Bob Smith" wrote:

    >Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >
    >I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because there
    >is no media set).
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Bob

  3. Re: Unable to create/select media set

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Have you tried just going to the Media tab, then right clicking on the left
    >pane and creating it that way? (There should be a media set called "Media
    >Set 1" created by the install already)

    Thanks for the response. Yes I have gone to the media tab and tried to create
    one as you describe. I get the New Media Set box (General Tab), when I enter
    the name and press enter, I return to the same box with the name blank again.
    And with no new media set being created.

    >"Bob Smith" wrote:
    >>
    >>Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >>I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >>Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >>The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >>I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >>
    >>I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because there
    >>is no media set).
    >>
    >>TIA,
    >>
    >>Bob

  4. Re: Unable to create/select media set

    I seem to recall something similar backin the v7.x days, but don't
    remember what the solution was

    Have you tried a complete uninstall/boot/reinstall?
    Is your MDAC current?

    Bob Smith wrote:

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >
    >>Have you tried just going to the Media tab, then right clicking on the left
    >>pane and creating it that way? (There should be a media set called "Media
    >>Set 1" created by the install already)
    >>

    >Thanks for the response. Yes I have gone to the media tab and tried to create
    >one as you describe. I get the New Media Set box (General Tab), when I enter
    >the name and press enter, I return to the same box with the name blank again.
    > And with no new media set being created.
    >

    >>"Bob Smith" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >>>I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >>>Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >>>The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >>>I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >>>
    >>>I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because there
    >>>is no media set).
    >>>
    >>>TIA,
    >>>
    >>>Bob

  5. Re: Unable to create/select media set

    Hello Bob,

    It sounds like you may have a bad pvl.mdb file.

    You can go ahead and re-install as Ken suggested or you can just replace
    the pvl.mdb file with the one that you have on the Backup Exec CD in the
    UTILS directory.

    What you can do is stop the Backup Exec services, then rename the pvl.mdb
    to pvl.bad or something. Then copy over the same file from the Backup Exec
    install CD into \Backup Exec\NT\ to replace the bad one. Go into the
    properties of the file and uncheck the Read-only attribute. Restart the
    services and try creating your media set again.

    I hope this helps a little

    Real Dude

    "Bob Smith" wrote in message

    > Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    > I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    > Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    > The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    > I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >
    > I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because

    there
    > is no media set).
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Bob

  6. Need PVL.MDB for BENT 8.5

    Thanks Real Dude!

    Could somebody send me the PVL.MDB file for BENT 8.5?

    The reason I ask is that the company I work for is rather large
    and we outsource our IT services, so by the time I get the request
    for service into the IT dept and by the time they resolve this
    issue could be 5-10 days!

    Thanks
    xyupper@yahoo.com

    "Real Dude" wrote:
    >Hello Bob,
    >
    >It sounds like you may have a bad pvl.mdb file.
    >
    >You can go ahead and re-install as Ken suggested or you can just replace
    >the pvl.mdb file with the one that you have on the Backup Exec CD in the
    >UTILS directory.
    >
    >What you can do is stop the Backup Exec services, then rename the pvl.mdb
    >to pvl.bad or something. Then copy over the same file from the Backup Exec
    >install CD into \Backup Exec\NT\ to replace the bad one. Go into the
    >properties of the file and uncheck the Read-only attribute. Restart the
    >services and try creating your media set again.
    >
    >I hope this helps a little
    >
    >Real Dude
    >

    >"Bob Smith" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >> I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >> Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >> The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >> I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >>
    >> I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because

    >there
    >> is no media set).
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> Bob

  7. Re: Need PVL.MDB for BENT 8.5

    Grab the download for v8.5. (http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    for v8.5.3572) Expand it, and look in (I think) the Utils dir. If you can't
    find it, then "install" BENT on a different computer in Demo Mode and grab
    the PVL.MDB from that. (To keep your licensing correct, rememeber to un-install
    that new Backup Server )

    "Bob Smith" wrote:

    >Thanks Real Dude!
    >
    >Could somebody send me the PVL.MDB file for BENT 8.5?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that the company I work for is rather large
    >and we outsource our IT services, so by the time I get the request
    >for service into the IT dept and by the time they resolve this
    >issue could be 5-10 days!
    >
    >Thanks
    >xyupper@yahoo.com
    >

    >"Real Dude" wrote:
    >>Hello Bob,
    >>
    >>It sounds like you may have a bad pvl.mdb file.
    >>
    >>You can go ahead and re-install as Ken suggested or you can just replace
    >>the pvl.mdb file with the one that you have on the Backup Exec CD in the
    >>UTILS directory.
    >>
    >>What you can do is stop the Backup Exec services, then rename the pvl.mdb
    >>to pvl.bad or something. Then copy over the same file from the Backup

    Exec
    >>install CD into \Backup Exec\NT\ to replace the bad one. Go into the
    >>properties of the file and uncheck the Read-only attribute. Restart the
    >>services and try creating your media set again.
    >>
    >>I hope this helps a little
    >>
    >>Real Dude
    >>

    >>"Bob Smith" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >>> I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >>> Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >>> The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >>> I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >>>
    >>> I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because

    >>there
    >>> is no media set).
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Bob

  8. Re: Need PVL.MDB for BENT 8.5

    Sorry, that URL should be http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235770.htm

    "Bob Smith" wrote:

    >Thanks Real Dude!
    >
    >Could somebody send me the PVL.MDB file for BENT 8.5?
    >
    >The reason I ask is that the company I work for is rather large
    >and we outsource our IT services, so by the time I get the request
    >for service into the IT dept and by the time they resolve this
    >issue could be 5-10 days!
    >
    >Thanks
    >xyupper@yahoo.com
    >

    >"Real Dude" wrote:
    >>Hello Bob,
    >>
    >>It sounds like you may have a bad pvl.mdb file.
    >>
    >>You can go ahead and re-install as Ken suggested or you can just replace
    >>the pvl.mdb file with the one that you have on the Backup Exec CD in the
    >>UTILS directory.
    >>
    >>What you can do is stop the Backup Exec services, then rename the pvl.mdb
    >>to pvl.bad or something. Then copy over the same file from the Backup

    Exec
    >>install CD into \Backup Exec\NT\ to replace the bad one. Go into the
    >>properties of the file and uncheck the Read-only attribute. Restart the
    >>services and try creating your media set again.
    >>
    >>I hope this helps a little
    >>
    >>Real Dude
    >>

    >>"Bob Smith" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Using Backup Exec v8.5 on NT server with admin priveledges.
    >>> I'm unable to create a media set. For example, I use the
    >>> Create a Media Set Wizard. I put in a name and press enter.
    >>> The new media set box appears again with the name blank. If
    >>> I cancel out of it, and go check, the media set is never created.
    >>>
    >>> I cannot backup anything because I cannot select a media set (because

    >>there
    >>> is no media set).
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> Bob