Can't restore any Linux backups?!? Please help! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Can't restore any Linux backups?!? Please help! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I'm using BackupExec 8.5 for Windows servers. The software is installed on an NT4.0 server. I have a few NT servers, and several Linux servers. They all get backuped up every night. Lastnight, I found I can't restore the ...

  1. Can't restore any Linux backups?!? Please help!

    Hello,

    I'm using BackupExec 8.5 for Windows servers. The software is installed on
    an NT4.0 server. I have a few NT servers, and several Linux servers. They
    all get backuped up every night.

    Lastnight, I found I can't restore the entire Linux backup from ANY server
    to ANY Linux server. But, they can be restored to any NT server just fine.
    So, if I try restore Linux server 1 data onto Linux server 1, it fails. If
    I try to restore Linux server 1 data onto ANY Linux server, it fails. If
    I try to restore Linux server 2 data onto any Linux server, it fails. If
    however I restore any Linux server data onto one of our NT servers, it's
    fine.

    When it fails, it'll usually transfer several hundred Megs, then die. And,
    it always dies in the EXACT same byte, given the backup job. This isn't the
    same file, nor the same size thought. On backup server 1, it gets through
    ~ 185 MEgs of 2.1 Gigs before dying. On backup server 2, it gets through
    400 Megs of about 800 Megs. If I select just a few files (like the ones that
    it fails to retrieve when it dies) it'll work fine. But, I can't restore
    the entire drive. This is why we purchased this software! We need to be able
    to recover an entire crashed server?!?

    I did poke around the support area. It says you can't switch versions of
    the backup agent (or, that they must be compatible). I didn't. And, I tried
    restoring to an alternate location as not to overwrite files -- no difference.
    I've tried alternate network connections (via different switches/hubs) and
    no difference.

    It looks like either the agent is dying, or the backup process is dying.
    It will be cruising along, and then the server says the connection is lost,
    like when the agent crashes. What is strange is that the agent is still actually
    listening on the port. But, things just stop. And, in order for the agent
    to be used again, it must be stopped and restarted -- in a 'ps' listing it
    shows the running agent.be processess as 'defunct'. So, it seems the problem
    is in the agent.

    Any ideas? Is there some weird Linux limit? I know it can't differential/incremental
    type transactions. I also read it can't do directory paths above 256 chars.
    I'm not hitting either of those limits?? The servers aren't configured funky.
    They're all running some version of RH Linux. Most are running 7.0, some
    are running 7.2 or 7.3.

    Thanks,
    Jon

  2. Re: Can't restore any Linux backups?!? Please help!

    Well, after many hours of messing around, I finally gave in and called (payed)
    tech support. Turns out they already know about this problem and will be
    releasing a new version of the agent very soon (maybe less than a week) that
    will fix the problem.

    Thanks,
    Jon

    "Jon" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm using BackupExec 8.5 for Windows servers. The software is installed

    on
    >an NT4.0 server. I have a few NT servers, and several Linux servers. They
    >all get backuped up every night.
    >
    >Lastnight, I found I can't restore the entire Linux backup from ANY server
    >to ANY Linux server. But, they can be restored to any NT server just fine.
    >So, if I try restore Linux server 1 data onto Linux server 1, it fails.

    If
    >I try to restore Linux server 1 data onto ANY Linux server, it fails. If
    >I try to restore Linux server 2 data onto any Linux server, it fails. If
    >however I restore any Linux server data onto one of our NT servers, it's
    >fine.
    >
    >When it fails, it'll usually transfer several hundred Megs, then die. And,
    >it always dies in the EXACT same byte, given the backup job. This isn't

    the
    >same file, nor the same size thought. On backup server 1, it gets through
    >~ 185 MEgs of 2.1 Gigs before dying. On backup server 2, it gets through
    >400 Megs of about 800 Megs. If I select just a few files (like the ones

    that
    >it fails to retrieve when it dies) it'll work fine. But, I can't restore
    >the entire drive. This is why we purchased this software! We need to be

    able
    >to recover an entire crashed server?!?
    >
    >I did poke around the support area. It says you can't switch versions of
    >the backup agent (or, that they must be compatible). I didn't. And, I tried
    >restoring to an alternate location as not to overwrite files -- no difference.
    >I've tried alternate network connections (via different switches/hubs) and
    >no difference.
    >
    >It looks like either the agent is dying, or the backup process is dying.
    >It will be cruising along, and then the server says the connection is lost,
    >like when the agent crashes. What is strange is that the agent is still

    actually
    >listening on the port. But, things just stop. And, in order for the agent
    >to be used again, it must be stopped and restarted -- in a 'ps' listing

    it
    >shows the running agent.be processess as 'defunct'. So, it seems the problem
    >is in the agent.
    >
    >Any ideas? Is there some weird Linux limit? I know it can't differential/incremental
    >type transactions. I also read it can't do directory paths above 256 chars.
    >I'm not hitting either of those limits?? The servers aren't configured funky.
    >They're all running some version of RH Linux. Most are running 7.0, some
    >are running 7.2 or 7.3.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jon

+ Reply to Thread