BENT AS and Dell PowerVault - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT AS and Dell PowerVault - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having some difficulty attaching to and backing up a Dell PowerVault 715N. It is a NAS running Win2k Advanced Server. On my backup server, I am running BENT Adv Server and I have installed the Remote Agent on ...

  1. BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    I am having some difficulty attaching to and backing up a Dell PowerVault
    715N. It is a NAS running Win2k Advanced Server. On my backup server, I
    am running BENT Adv Server and I have installed the Remote Agent on the PowerVault.
    I have verified that the BENT Remote Agent service is running on the PowerVault,
    but I continue to recieve an error on backup.

    The error reads:
    Job server: BENGAL
    Job name: Nas Full Backup
    Job started: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:07:37 AM
    Job type: Backup
    Job Log: BEX00.txt

    Drive and media information from media mount:
    Robotic Library Name: SPECTRA 1
    Drive Name: SONY 1
    Slot: 3
    Media GUID: {652D56F6-60C2-47BB-9D8B-86607DED8911}
    Media Label: 8MM000003
    Overwrite Protection Time Left: Infinite
    Append Time Left: Infinite
    Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - append.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    License Violation
    A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting remote
    servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
    Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers with
    this edition of Backup Exec.
    Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Job ended: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:08:52 AM
    Job completion status: Failed

    Any idea's?

    Thanks,

    Ted

  2. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Hello Ted,

    The issue you are talking about is documented in the following technote:

    The Real Dude

    "Ted" wrote in message news:3d64e1b2$1@hronntp01....

    > I am having some difficulty attaching to and backing up a Dell PowerVault
    > 715N. It is a NAS running Win2k Advanced Server. On my backup server, I
    > am running BENT Adv Server and I have installed the Remote Agent on the

    PowerVault.
    > I have verified that the BENT Remote Agent service is running on the

    PowerVault,
    > but I continue to recieve an error on backup.
    >
    > The error reads:
    > ================================================== =
    > Job server: BENGAL
    > Job name: Nas Full Backup
    > Job started: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:07:37 AM
    > Job type: Backup
    > Job Log: BEX00.txt
    > ================================================== =
    >
    > Drive and media information from media mount:
    > Robotic Library Name: SPECTRA 1
    > Drive Name: SONY 1
    > Slot: 3
    > Media GUID: {652D56F6-60C2-47BB-9D8B-86607DED8911}
    > Media Label: 8MM000003
    > Overwrite Protection Time Left: Infinite
    > Append Time Left: Infinite
    > Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    > Job Operation - Backup
    > Media operation - append.
    > Hardware compression enabled.
    > License Violation
    > A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting

    remote
    > servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
    > Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers

    with
    > this edition of Backup Exec.
    > Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    > Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.
    >

    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    > Job ended: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:08:52 AM
    > Job completion status: Failed
    >

    > Any idea's?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ted

  3. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Real Dude,

    I saw that article and I had to purchase the upgrade for BENT Server to BENT
    Advanced Server/Datacenter. After the installation of BENT AS/DC, I installed
    the Remote Agent on the PowerVault, but the backup still fail's with the
    error I posted (see below).

    Any other idea's?

    "Real Dude" wrote:
    >Hello Ted,
    >
    >The issue you are talking about is documented in the following technote:
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239758.htm
    >
    >The Real Dude
    >
    >"Ted" wrote in message news:3d64e1b2$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am having some difficulty attaching to and backing up a Dell PowerVault
    >> 715N. It is a NAS running Win2k Advanced Server. On my backup server,

    >> am running BENT Adv Server and I have installed the Remote Agent on the

    >PowerVault.
    >> I have verified that the BENT Remote Agent service is running on the

    >PowerVault,
    >> but I continue to recieve an error on backup.
    >>
    >> The error reads:
    >> ================================================== =
    >> Job server: BENGAL
    >> Job name: Nas Full Backup
    >> Job started: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:07:37 AM
    >> Job type: Backup
    >> Job Log: BEX00.txt
    >> ================================================== =
    >>
    >> Drive and media information from media mount:
    >> Robotic Library Name: SPECTRA 1
    >> Drive Name: SONY 1
    >> Slot: 3
    >> Media GUID: {652D56F6-60C2-47BB-9D8B-86607DED8911}
    >> Media Label: 8MM000003
    >> Overwrite Protection Time Left: Infinite
    >> Append Time Left: Infinite
    >> Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    >> Job Operation - Backup
    >> Media operation - append.
    >> Hardware compression enabled.
    >> License Violation
    >> A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting

    >remote
    >> servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
    >> Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers

    >with
    >> this edition of Backup Exec.
    >> Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    >> Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.
    >>

    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >> Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    >> Job ended: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:08:52 AM
    >> Job completion status: Failed
    >>

    >> Any idea's?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ted

  4. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Are you still getting the
    "A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting remote
    servers with this edition of Backup Exec."
    error, or the
    "Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."
    error?

    If the second, from the GUI,do Help/About to verify what version BackupExec
    thinks is installed.

    "Ted" wrote:

    >Real Dude,
    >
    >I saw that article and I had to purchase the upgrade for BENT Server to

    BENT
    >Advanced Server/Datacenter. After the installation of BENT AS/DC, I installed
    >the Remote Agent on the PowerVault, but the backup still fail's with the
    >error I posted (see below).
    >
    >Any other idea's?
    >

    >"Real Dude" wrote:
    >>Hello Ted,
    >>
    >>The issue you are talking about is documented in the following technote:
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239758.htm
    >>
    >>The Real Dude
    >>
    >>"Ted" wrote in message news:3d64e1b2$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> I am having some difficulty attaching to and backing up a Dell PowerVault
    >>> 715N. It is a NAS running Win2k Advanced Server. On my backup server,

    >>> am running BENT Adv Server and I have installed the Remote Agent on the

    >>PowerVault.
    >>> I have verified that the BENT Remote Agent service is running on the

    >>PowerVault,
    >>> but I continue to recieve an error on backup.
    >>>
    >>> The error reads:
    >>> ================================================== =
    >>> Job server: BENGAL
    >>> Job name: Nas Full Backup
    >>> Job started: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:07:37 AM
    >>> Job type: Backup
    >>> Job Log: BEX00.txt
    >>> ================================================== =
    >>>
    >>> Drive and media information from media mount:
    >>> Robotic Library Name: SPECTRA 1
    >>> Drive Name: SONY 1
    >>> Slot: 3
    >>> Media GUID: {652D56F6-60C2-47BB-9D8B-86607DED8911}
    >>> Media Label: 8MM000003
    >>> Overwrite Protection Time Left: Infinite
    >>> Append Time Left: Infinite
    >>> Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

    >>> Job Operation - Backup
    >>> Media operation - append.
    >>> Hardware compression enabled.
    >>> License Violation
    >>> A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting

    >>remote
    >>> servers with this edition of Backup Exec.
    >>> Please contact your vendor for information on protecting remote servers

    >>with
    >>> this edition of Backup Exec.
    >>> Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    >>> Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product.
    >>>

    >>> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>> Unable to attach to \\nas001\share1.
    >>> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    >>> Job ended: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 at 10:08:52 AM
    >>> Job completion status: Failed
    >>>

    >>> Any idea's?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Ted

  5. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Actually, I receive both in the error report. I have verified that the BENT
    help/about displays the correct server edition. It shows my serial and Datacenter
    Server when selected.

    Any other idea's? Is it a veritas issue or more of a dell problem, or both?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Are you still getting the
    >"A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting remote
    >servers with this edition of Backup Exec."
    >error, or the
    >"Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."
    >error?
    >

    >If the second, from the GUI,do Help/About to verify what version BackupExec
    >thinks is installed.
    >
    >"Ted" wrote:
    >>
    >>Real Dude,
    >>
    >>I saw that article and I had to purchase the upgrade for BENT Server to

    >BENT
    >>Advanced Server/Datacenter. After the installation of BENT AS/DC, I installed
    >>the Remote Agent on the PowerVault, but the backup still fail's with the
    >>error I posted (see below).
    >>
    >>Any other idea's?
    >>

    >>"Real Dude" wrote:
    >>>Hello Ted,
    >>>
    >>>The issue you are talking about is documented in the following technote:
    >>>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239758.htm
    >>>
    >>>The Real Dude

    the
    >>>PowerVault.
    >>>PowerVault,

    >>>remote
    >>>with

  6. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Is this an actual AS box, or a NAS box based on AS? (I just re-read the original
    post a little more carefully and noticed the ServerName)

    "Ted" wrote:

    >Actually, I receive both in the error report. I have verified that the

    BENT
    >help/about displays the correct server edition. It shows my serial and

    Datacenter
    >Server when selected.
    >
    >Any other idea's? Is it a veritas issue or more of a dell problem, or both?
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Are you still getting the
    >>"A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting

    remote
    >>servers with this edition of Backup Exec."
    >>error, or the
    >>"Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."
    >>error?
    >>

    >>If the second, from the GUI,do Help/About to verify what version BackupExec
    >>thinks is installed.
    >>
    >>"Ted" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Real Dude,
    >>>
    >>>I saw that article and I had to purchase the upgrade for BENT Server to

    >>BENT
    >>>Advanced Server/Datacenter. After the installation of BENT AS/DC, I installed
    >>>the Remote Agent on the PowerVault, but the backup still fail's with the
    >>>error I posted (see below).
    >>>
    >>>Any other idea's?

    >the

  7. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    The NAS has an active, yet slim, version of win2k Advanced Server loaded to
    the hard drives. I have been told by Dell support, that it is not the appliance
    version but when verifying that, I found it displayed the exact information
    that is talked about in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239758.htm .

    I have followed the technote, which end with the same results.

    Any other ideas?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Is this an actual AS box, or a NAS box based on AS? (I just re-read the

    original
    >post a little more carefully and noticed the ServerName)
    >

    >"Ted" wrote:
    >>
    >>Actually, I receive both in the error report. I have verified that the

    >BENT
    >>help/about displays the correct server edition. It shows my serial and

    >Datacenter
    >>Server when selected.
    >>
    >>Any other idea's? Is it a veritas issue or more of a dell problem, or

    both?

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Are you still getting the
    >>>"A Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 license is required for protecting

    >remote
    >>>servers with this edition of Backup Exec."
    >>>error, or the
    >>>"Access to the device is not authorized with this edition of the product."
    >>>error?
    >>>

    >>>If the second, from the GUI,do Help/About to verify what version BackupExec
    >>>thinks is installed.

    >>>BENT

    installed

    the

    >>the

    the

  8. Re: BENT AS and Dell PowerVault

    Let's see. The OS version is AS, the BENT version is AS and it won't connect.

    Guess you'l have to contact Veritas directly on this one. Either pay for
    an Incident or take your chances with E-Mail support at http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    (URL may be wrapped)

    .

    >I have followed the technote, which end with the same results.
    >
    >Any other ideas?
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Is this an actual AS box, or a NAS box based on AS? (I just re-read the

    >original
    >>post a little more carefully and noticed the ServerName)

+ Reply to Thread