Restoring Windows 2000 on Compaq Servers + Drivers - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restoring Windows 2000 on Compaq Servers + Drivers - Veritas Backup Exec ; A restore question? **** The scenario is as follows. **** I have a windows 2000 on a Compaq server containing several teamed NICs. It is backed up using Veritas Backup 8.5 using the remote and open file agents. The OS ...

  1. Restoring Windows 2000 on Compaq Servers + Drivers

    A restore question?
    **** The scenario is as follows. ****
    I have a windows 2000 on a Compaq server containing several teamed NICs.
    It is backed up using Veritas Backup 8.5 using the remote and open file agents.
    The OS has been built with Compaq driver version 1.0xxxx (SSD+Management
    Agents).
    To do the restore I am using identical hardware, the same OS but newer Compaq
    drivers (SSD+Management Agents).

    After the restore & reboot(required after a reboot) everything is fine except
    the networking. IPConfig displays 'windows 2000 ip configuration' and that's
    all.
    Using the Compaq nic teaming software you can see that the cards are teamed.
    Under network configuration I find that the cards are configured for DHCP,
    no tcp/ip settings.
    If I put in the IP settings and reboot the IP config reverts back to DHCP.
    Hence the network settings are not being retained.
    This can only be fixed by reinstalling the Compaq drivers (SSD+Management
    Agents), removing the compaq NIC teaming, uninstall NIC (through the software)
    then reinstall NIC teams and configure networking including TCP/IP.

    **** The Question which may solve the problem? ****
    Do i need to make sure that the vanila build on which I am restoring the
    backup onto has to have the same version of Compaq drivers, agents and so
    on?

  2. Re: Restoring Windows 2000 on Compaq Servers + Drivers

    That's right. TCP/IP information and NIC teaming configuration will not be
    restored. You have to reconfigure these manually before or after the
    restore. I'd recommend before.

    This because Backup Exec follows the rule lays down by the KeysNotToRestore
    registry subkey.
    This is located here
    HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestor e\KeysNotToRestore.

    I have found that you need to keep your Systems Documentation up to date so
    that after the restore you known exactly how that particulare was configured
    Network-wise.

    Once the system is rebuilt, before beginning the restore, I would keep it in
    a workgroup and reconfigure TCP/IP as it was before, including NIC Teaming.
    Then restore.

    I hope this helps a little

    Real Dude

    "DMISTRY" wrote in message

    > A restore question?
    > **** The scenario is as follows. ****
    > I have a windows 2000 on a Compaq server containing several teamed NICs.
    > It is backed up using Veritas Backup 8.5 using the remote and open file

    agents.
    > The OS has been built with Compaq driver version 1.0xxxx (SSD+Management
    > Agents).
    > To do the restore I am using identical hardware, the same OS but newer

    Compaq
    > drivers (SSD+Management Agents).
    >
    > After the restore & reboot(required after a reboot) everything is fine

    except
    > the networking. IPConfig displays 'windows 2000 ip configuration' and

    that's
    > all.
    > Using the Compaq nic teaming software you can see that the cards are

    teamed.
    > Under network configuration I find that the cards are configured for DHCP,
    > no tcp/ip settings.
    > If I put in the IP settings and reboot the IP config reverts back to DHCP.
    > Hence the network settings are not being retained.
    > This can only be fixed by reinstalling the Compaq drivers (SSD+Management
    > Agents), removing the compaq NIC teaming, uninstall NIC (through the

    software)
    > then reinstall NIC teams and configure networking including TCP/IP.
    >
    > **** The Question which may solve the problem? ****
    > Do i need to make sure that the vanila build on which I am restoring the
    > backup onto has to have the same version of Compaq drivers, agents and so
    > on?

+ Reply to Thread