Remote Agent - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent - Veritas Backup Exec ; Should the Remote agent be installed on the server that runs full blow BackupExec? It is listed in the services on this machine. Kendra...

  1. Remote Agent

    Should the Remote agent be installed on the server that runs full blow
    BackupExec? It is listed in the services on this machine.

    Kendra

  2. Re: Remote Agent

    NO

    Kendra wrote:

    >Should the Remote agent be installed on the server that runs full blow
    >BackupExec? It is listed in the services on this machine.
    >
    >Kendra

  3. Re: Remote Agent

    What are the downsides to this?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > NO
    >

    > Kendra wrote:
    >
    > >Should the Remote agent be installed on the server that runs full blow
    > >BackupExec? It is listed in the services on this machine.
    > >
    > >Kendra

  4. Re: Remote Agent

    It's been so long since I tried, that I don't remember exactly what went
    wrong, but I just remember that when the RemoteAgent and the seven BENT
    services are running at the same time, you can't count on backups
    running successfully.

    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?

    Kendra wrote:

    >What are the downsides to this?
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>NO
    >>

    >>Kendra wrote:
    >>
    >>>Should the Remote agent be installed on the server that runs full blow
    >>>BackupExec? It is listed in the services on this machine.
    >>>
    >>>Kendra

  5. Re: Remote Agent

    I don't want to do this...I inherited the backup responsibility. I don't
    know much about BackupExec, so when I noticed the remote agent, I was
    curious as to any reason why it would be installed.

    I'll probably uninstall it, but it seems strange for it to be installed in
    the first place.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > It's been so long since I tried, that I don't remember exactly what went
    > wrong, but I just remember that when the RemoteAgent and the seven BENT
    > services are running at the same time, you can't count on backups
    > running successfully.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?
    >
    > Kendra wrote:
    >
    > >What are the downsides to this?
    > >

    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >
    > >>NO

  6. Re: Remote Agent

    Basically, the Remote Agent acts as a preprocessor, that reads data locally
    on the remote machine, and then streams the data back to the Backup Server
    as fast as either machine or the network will allow. As of V8 it also is
    used as a licensing mechanism, since you can't do a disaster-recover backup
    of a ServerOS machine without the Agent installed.

    "Kendra" wrote:
    >I don't want to do this...I inherited the backup responsibility. I don't
    >know much about BackupExec, so when I noticed the remote agent, I was
    >curious as to any reason why it would be installed.
    >
    >I'll probably uninstall it, but it seems strange for it to be installed

    in
    >the first place.
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >> It's been so long since I tried, that I don't remember exactly what went
    >> wrong, but I just remember that when the RemoteAgent and the seven BENT
    >> services are running at the same time, you can't count on backups
    >> running successfully.
    >>
    >> Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do this?
    >>
    >> Kendra wrote:
    >>
    >> >What are the downsides to this?
    >> >

    >> >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

+ Reply to Thread