Tape capacity ? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape capacity ? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to check the tape's capacity. I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows backing up the same amount of information in ...

  1. Tape capacity ?

    I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to check
    the tape's capacity.

    I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows backing up
    the same amount of information in Veritas. How can I see how much of the
    tape the B/U took? I can't find my tape drive in windows explorer and right
    clicking gives me no information.

    Thanks
    Danny Ayo

  2. Re: Tape capacity ?

    Log files! That's what they're for!!

    --

    - Prince Of Thieves
    NOSPAM_thief_@hotmail.com

    "Danny Ayo" wrote in message
    > I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to

    check
    > the tape's capacity.
    >
    > I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows backing

    up
    > the same amount of information in Veritas. How can I see how much of the
    > tape the B/U took? I can't find my tape drive in windows explorer and

    right
    > clicking gives me no information.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Danny Ayo

  3. Re: Tape capacity ?

    I've looked all over. I can't find any log files that show the free and
    used capacity of the back up tape.

    I've searched Veritas backup and also looked around in Windows Management.

    Please explain in simple terms. I don't know much about this.

    I would like to know how much free space is left on a backup tape.

    Thank You,
    Danny

    "Prince Of Thieves" wrote in message
    > Log files! That's what they're for!!
    >
    > --
    >
    > - Prince Of Thieves
    > NOSPAM_thief_@hotmail.com
    >

    > "Danny Ayo" wrote in message
    > > I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to

    > check
    > > the tape's capacity.
    > >
    > > I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows

    backing
    > up
    > > the same amount of information in Veritas. How can I see how much of

    the
    > > tape the B/U took? I can't find my tape drive in windows explorer and

    > right
    > > clicking gives me no information.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > Danny Ayo

  4. Re: Tape capacity ?

    If you are using hardware compression there is no way to tell.

    If you are using software ir no compression, then you can manually calculate
    this from the end of each job step (Bytes backed up and compression ratio)

    You should also be able to get this from one of the canned Veritas Reports.
    I've forgotten which one (Media Set Report I think)

    "Danny Ayo" wrote:
    >I've looked all over. I can't find any log files that show the free and
    >used capacity of the back up tape.
    >
    >I've searched Veritas backup and also looked around in Windows Management.
    >
    >Please explain in simple terms. I don't know much about this.
    >
    >I would like to know how much free space is left on a backup tape.
    >
    >Thank You,
    >Danny
    >
    >"Prince Of Thieves" wrote in message
    >> Log files! That's what they're for!!
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> - Prince Of Thieves
    >> NOSPAM_thief_@hotmail.com
    >>

    >> "Danny Ayo" wrote in message
    >> > I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to

    >> check
    >> > the tape's capacity.
    >> >
    >> > I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows

    >backing
    >> up
    >> > the same amount of information in Veritas. How can I see how much of

    >the
    >> > tape the B/U took? I can't find my tape drive in windows explorer and

    >> right
    >> > clicking gives me no information.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Danny Ayo

  5. Re: Tape capacity ?

    Run a report to see how much is written to the tape. There is no way to
    know how much is LEFT.

    "Danny Ayo" wrote in message
    > I've run this server for a little over a year. I have no idea how to

    check
    > the tape's capacity.
    >
    > I changed the B/U job to compress using software. It still shows backing

    up
    > the same amount of information in Veritas. How can I see how much of the
    > tape the B/U took? I can't find my tape drive in windows explorer and

    right
    > clicking gives me no information.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Danny Ayo