Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello all, I am hoping some of you can help me with setting up Exchange 2000 backups - I am by no means E2K expert. I am running Exchange 2000 SP2 in one domain. My BackupExec (v8.6) is running on ...

  1. Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    Hello all,

    I am hoping some of you can help me with setting up Exchange 2000
    backups - I am by no means E2K expert.

    I am running Exchange 2000 SP2 in one domain. My BackupExec (v8.6) is
    running on a windows 2000 machine in another domain. I've installed the
    remote agent on the exchange machine, and I also installed the exchange
    agent, the exchange system manager, and outlook 2000 on the backup
    server. The domains have a two-way trust between them, and browsing the
    domain with exchange isn't a problem from the backup server (and its
    corresponding domain).

    The problems I am having are the following:

    1. Backing up Key Management and Site Replication Services - these two
    services don't even show up in BackupExec "backup selections" tab. The
    Exchange server shows up fine, as well as MS Exchange mailboxes and MS
    Exchange Information Store (which can be selected). Is backing up MS
    Exchange Information Store sufficient (I have perhaps about a dozen
    users)?

    2. Backing up individual mailboxes - I haven't been successful in
    enabling this option. BackupExec is running under the domain admin
    account; this account was also added to the domain admins group in the
    other domain (where exchange is). I tried to follow doc ID#190937 from
    Veritas's knowledgebase, but it seemed that a lot of it didn't apply. I
    created a user that has the same name as the domain admin account in the
    first domain (that has BE running), but I can't attach to individual
    mailboxes using that mailbox (or any other mailbox name, for that
    matter).
    My question here is - how crucial is it to back up individual mailboxes,
    especially in a small organization such as this one?

    If you can provide any help, opinions or suggestions on either of these
    questions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance,

    Nikola

  2. Re: Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    In article <3D62EB71.FEC1774B@vujic.com>, nikola@vujic.com says...
    > 2. Backing up individual mailboxes - I haven't been successful in
    > enabling this option. BackupExec is running under the domain admin
    > account; this account was also added to the domain admins group in the
    > other domain (where exchange is). I tried to follow doc ID#190937 from
    > Veritas's knowledgebase, but it seemed that a lot of it didn't apply. I
    > created a user that has the same name as the domain admin account in the
    > first domain (that has BE running), but I can't attach to individual
    > mailboxes using that mailbox (or any other mailbox name, for that
    > matter).
    > My question here is - how crucial is it to back up individual mailboxes,
    > especially in a small organization such as this one?

    Brick level backups usually aren't necessary. IIUC the only reason for
    them is to restore a subset of mailboxes instead of the whole batch.

    For information about how to make this "feature" work read the following
    thread completely. It contains lots of undocumented info.
    From: "Kevin"
    Subject: mailbox backup
    Newsgroups: veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english
    Date: 13 Aug 2002 11:42:39 -0400

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...

  3. Re: Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    Thanks for the explanation on what this "feature" provides.

    I actually did see and read the thread you listed, yet I was still
    unsuccessful. Here are my exact steps:

    1. Set up BackupExec service to run under the domain admin account
    ("bob") in domain1 (where BackupExec is, obviously).
    2. Installed remote agent on Exchange 2000 server in domain2 (where
    Exchange is).
    3. Installed Exchange system manager on backup exec server in domain1
    4. Copied the administrator account on the exchange server, renamed it
    to something else ("tom"), assigned a password
    5. Added "tom" to domain admins group in domain2; using delegation of
    control wizard, gave "tom" full admin rights in exchange
    6. Added "bob" to the domain admins group in domain2; gave "bob" full
    rights to "tom's" mailbox
    7. Installed Outlook 2000 on backup exec server in domain1 and
    configured it for "tom"; sent and received test messages to verify
    8. Restarted backup exec services on the box; tried to attach using
    "tom's" mailbox - no success.

    Howie wrote:

    > In article <3D62EB71.FEC1774B@vujic.com>, nikola@vujic.com says...
    > > 2. Backing up individual mailboxes - I haven't been successful in
    > > enabling this option. BackupExec is running under the domain admin
    > > account; this account was also added to the domain admins group in the
    > > other domain (where exchange is). I tried to follow doc ID#190937 from
    > > Veritas's knowledgebase, but it seemed that a lot of it didn't apply. I
    > > created a user that has the same name as the domain admin account in the
    > > first domain (that has BE running), but I can't attach to individual
    > > mailboxes using that mailbox (or any other mailbox name, for that
    > > matter).
    > > My question here is - how crucial is it to back up individual mailboxes,
    > > especially in a small organization such as this one?
    > >

    > Brick level backups usually aren't necessary. IIUC the only reason for
    > them is to restore a subset of mailboxes instead of the whole batch.
    >
    > For information about how to make this "feature" work read the following
    > thread completely. It contains lots of undocumented info.
    > From: "Kevin"
    > Subject: mailbox backup
    > Newsgroups: veritas.backupexec.windowsnt.english
    > Date: 13 Aug 2002 11:42:39 -0400
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    > is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    > Ayya Khema

  4. Re: Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    In article <3D63D349.1D69D21E@vujic.com>, nikola@vujic.com says...
    > I actually did see and read the thread you listed, yet I was still
    > unsuccessful. Here are my exact steps:
    >
    > 1. Set up BackupExec service to run under the domain admin account
    > ("bob") in domain1 (where BackupExec is, obviously).
    > 2. Installed remote agent on Exchange 2000 server in domain2 (where
    > Exchange is).
    > 3. Installed Exchange system manager on backup exec server in domain1
    > 4. Copied the administrator account on the exchange server, renamed it
    > to something else ("tom"), assigned a password

    What do you mean by "copied"? Did you use the ADMT? Keep in mind that
    accounts are actually recognized by their SIDs and that each SID is
    different for each account. Copying an account to a different domain,
    even with ADMT, means that a new account with a new SID is created. The
    thing with ADMT is that you can, if in Native mode, have a SIDHistory
    listing old SIDs--kind of like a past lives history.

    > 5. Added "tom" to domain admins group in domain2; using delegation of
    > control wizard, gave "tom" full admin rights in exchange

    Did you give tom the log on as service right and act as part of the OS
    right? Is tom a local administrator? Vertias says that the exchange
    delegation is necessary but I'm not convinced. However, other
    administrators running BENT to do brick level backups must have Full
    Access to BESA's (BE Service Account) mailbox.

    > 6. Added "bob" to the domain admins group in domain2; gave "bob" full
    > rights to "tom's" mailbox
    > 7. Installed Outlook 2000 on backup exec server in domain1 and
    > configured it for "tom"; sent and received test messages to verify
    > 8. Restarted backup exec services on the box; tried to attach using
    > "tom's" mailbox - no success.

    The problem I see here is that you are using two different domains and
    you haven't stated what the trust relationship is between the domains.
    Are they AD domains or NT? If AD domains are domain and domain2 in the
    same forest, tree, child/parent?

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

  5. Re: Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    Hello,

    When I say that I "copied" the account, I literally mean right-click the
    admin account, select "Copy" and enter new account name. That shouldn't
    be a problem - at least I am not aware of any issues when copying
    accounts that way.

    I didn't originally grant the account ("tom") either of the two rights
    (log on as a service and act as part of OS), so I did that now. I then
    restarted the BE service and tried selecting the individual mailboxes -
    still the same error message ("Unable to attach").

    Both domains are windows 2000 domains, but they are in separate forests.
    The trust in place is a two-way trust, and it works and verifies OK (I
    can browse to the other domain using my network places).

    Thanks again,

    Nik

    Howie wrote:

    > In article <3D63D349.1D69D21E@vujic.com>, nikola@vujic.com says...
    > > I actually did see and read the thread you listed, yet I was still
    > > unsuccessful. Here are my exact steps:
    > >
    > > 1. Set up BackupExec service to run under the domain admin account
    > > ("bob") in domain1 (where BackupExec is, obviously).
    > > 2. Installed remote agent on Exchange 2000 server in domain2 (where
    > > Exchange is).
    > > 3. Installed Exchange system manager on backup exec server in domain1
    > > 4. Copied the administrator account on the exchange server, renamed it
    > > to something else ("tom"), assigned a password

    > What do you mean by "copied"? Did you use the ADMT? Keep in mind that
    > accounts are actually recognized by their SIDs and that each SID is
    > different for each account. Copying an account to a different domain,
    > even with ADMT, means that a new account with a new SID is created. The
    > thing with ADMT is that you can, if in Native mode, have a SIDHistory
    > listing old SIDs--kind of like a past lives history.
    >
    > > 5. Added "tom" to domain admins group in domain2; using delegation of
    > > control wizard, gave "tom" full admin rights in exchange

    > Did you give tom the log on as service right and act as part of the OS
    > right? Is tom a local administrator? Vertias says that the exchange
    > delegation is necessary but I'm not convinced. However, other
    > administrators running BENT to do brick level backups must have Full
    > Access to BESA's (BE Service Account) mailbox.
    >
    > > 6. Added "bob" to the domain admins group in domain2; gave "bob" full
    > > rights to "tom's" mailbox
    > > 7. Installed Outlook 2000 on backup exec server in domain1 and
    > > configured it for "tom"; sent and received test messages to verify
    > > 8. Restarted backup exec services on the box; tried to attach using
    > > "tom's" mailbox - no success.
    > >

    > The problem I see here is that you are using two different domains and
    > you haven't stated what the trust relationship is between the domains.
    > Are they AD domains or NT? If AD domains are domain and domain2 in the
    > same forest, tree, child/parent?
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    > is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    > Ayya Khema

  6. Re: Two Problems With Exchange 2000 Backups

    In article ,
    notlikely@anywhere.com says...
    > Vertias says that the exchange
    > delegation is necessary but I'm not convinced.

    Now I am, see the thread previously mentioned for the official reason
    why.

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

+ Reply to Thread