SQL Agent Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on SQL Agent Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am having problems connecting to SQL in order to back up my database. The servers are in a small workgroup, with this environment: Backup Server Windows NT 4 BENT 8.6 v3878 Remote Agent SQL Agent Open File Remote Server ...

  1. SQL Agent Error

    I am having problems connecting to SQL in order to back up my database. The
    servers are in a small workgroup, with this environment:

    Backup Server
    Windows NT 4
    BENT 8.6 v3878
    Remote Agent
    SQL Agent
    Open File

    Remote Server
    Windows NT 4
    SQL 7
    BENT Remote Agent (8.6.3878)

    When I go to the Backup Selections tab, and click down to my remote server,
    whenever I click on MS SQL Server, I get a pop-up error that states "A
    communications failure has occurred." In addition to that, the following
    error is placed in the NT Event Log:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Backup Exec
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 57857
    User: N/A
    An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
    "WLMSQL".
    OS error message: "ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).".
    DBLIB error message: "Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
    not exist.".
    Server error message: "".
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........
    0008: 14 27 00 00 2e 05 00 00 .'......

    I have tried changing the "attach as" user information, but even when I
    enter in the correct SA info, I still get that error. What can be wrong?

    Thanks.
    Josh

  2. Re: SQL Agent Error

    Hi Joshua

    When Backing up a SQL 7.0 Server, or SQL 2000 server, which resides in another
    domain, or in a workgroup, the error "The Item Was Not Found" may appear.
    This is because the Backup Exec service account, does not have rights in
    the other domain, or passthru authentication is not setup inside the workgroup.
    Note
    ----
    If SQL Server v7.0 and SQL Server 2000 are installed on a single computer,
    duplicate SQL Server icons may also appear in the Backup Selections tab,
    or named instances of SQL Server 2000 may not appear and restore to the default
    directory may not work. This situation occurs if Backup Exec does not have
    proper access rights to read both SQL Server registry keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server and

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer

    To ensure that Backup Exec has proper access rights, verify that the account
    that Backup Exec uses has administrator rights to the computer that is running
    SQL Server. The backup server must have access to Microsoft SQL Server. To
    make sure that the Backup Exec service account has proper access, perform
    one of the following:
    1. If the SQL Server resides in another domain, create a trust relationship
    between the two domains. Once the trust relationship has been established,
    add the Backup Exec Service Account to the SQL Server's Domains "Administrators"
    Group.
    OR
    2. If the SQL Server resides in a workgroup, create a user locally on the
    SQL server, with the same username and password, as the account specified
    for the Backup Exec services. Then add this user to the Administrator's group.
    Acknowledgments:
    Microsoft Article ID: Q308195; Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000
    v8.6 Administrator's Guide.

    Many thanks,
    Dr

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote:
    >I am having problems connecting to SQL in order to back up my database.

    The
    >servers are in a small workgroup, with this environment:
    >
    >Backup Server
    > Windows NT 4
    > BENT 8.6 v3878
    > Remote Agent
    > SQL Agent
    > Open File
    >
    >Remote Server
    > Windows NT 4
    > SQL 7
    > BENT Remote Agent (8.6.3878)
    >
    >When I go to the Backup Selections tab, and click down to my remote server,
    >whenever I click on MS SQL Server, I get a pop-up error that states "A
    >communications failure has occurred." In addition to that, the following
    >error is placed in the NT Event Log:
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: Backup Exec
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 57857
    >User: N/A
    >An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
    >"WLMSQL".
    > OS error message: "ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).".
    > DBLIB error message: "Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does
    >not exist.".
    > Server error message: "".
    >Data:
    >0000: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........
    >0008: 14 27 00 00 2e 05 00 00 .'......
    >
    >I have tried changing the "attach as" user information, but even when I
    >enter in the correct SA info, I still get that error. What can be wrong?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Josh

  3. Re: SQL Agent Error

    Okay, so you're saying that I should make sure that the account that the
    Backup Exec services run under on the backup server are admins on the SQL
    server, right? In a workgroup environment, how do I do that? When in user
    admin on the SQL server and I click on Add in the Administrator group, I
    can't change servers. Or, (according to #2 below) should I create an
    account on both servers, using the same username and password, assuming that
    it will just assume the server name part? I never was good at trusts...

    Thanks.
    Joshua

    "Backup Dr." wrote in message

> [...]

    > >error is placed in the NT Event Log:
    > >Event Type: Error
    > >Event Source: Backup Exec
    > >Event Category: None
    > >Event ID: 57857
    > >User: N/A
    > >An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
    > >"WLMSQL".
    > > OS error message: "ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).".
    > > DBLIB error message: "Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or

    does
    > >not exist.".
    > > Server error message: "".
    > >Data:
    > >0000: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........
    > >0008: 14 27 00 00 2e 05 00 00 .'......
    > >
    > >I have tried changing the "attach as" user information, but even when I
    > >enter in the correct SA info, I still get that error. What can be wrong?

  4. Re: SQL Agent Error

    I changed the service account info as directed in #2 and it works now. I
    don't know why it stopped working, but at least it works now.

    Thanks!
    Josh

    "Joshua Campbell" wrote in
    message news:3d6374e2$1@hronntp01....
> [...]

    following
    > > >error is placed in the NT Event Log:
    > > >Event Type: Error
    > > >Event Source: Backup Exec
    > > >Event Category: None
    > > >Event ID: 57857
    > > >User: N/A
    > > >An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
    > > >"WLMSQL".
    > > > OS error message: "ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).".
    > > > DBLIB error message: "Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or

    > does
    > > >not exist.".
    > > > Server error message: "".
    > > >Data:
    > > >0000: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........
    > > >0008: 14 27 00 00 2e 05 00 00 .'......
    > > >
    > > >I have tried changing the "attach as" user information, but even when I
    > > >enter in the correct SA info, I still get that error. What can be

  5. Re: SQL Agent Error

    I made these changes and it worked once. Then I had to reboot my system and
    now it will not work any more. The account that runs the services on the
    Backup Server uses the same username and password of an administrator on the
    SQL server.

    What else could be wrong?

    Thanks.
    Josh

    "Backup Dr." wrote in message

> [...]

    > >error is placed in the NT Event Log:
    > >Event Type: Error
    > >Event Source: Backup Exec
    > >Event Category: None
    > >Event ID: 57857
    > >User: N/A
    > >An error occurred while attempting to log in to the following server:
    > >"WLMSQL".
    > > OS error message: "ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).".
    > > DBLIB error message: "Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or

    does
    > >not exist.".
    > > Server error message: "".
    > >Data:
    > >0000: 00 00 00 00 09 00 00 00 ........
    > >0008: 14 27 00 00 2e 05 00 00 .'......
    > >
    > >I have tried changing the "attach as" user information, but even when I
    > >enter in the correct SA info, I still get that error. What can be wrong?

+ Reply to Thread