Vertias BackupExec Exchange 5.5 backup problems. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Vertias BackupExec Exchange 5.5 backup problems. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Fellow Backup Exec users, I am having issues with Backup Exec backing up our Exchange 5.5 server and I am at wits end trying to figure out how to fix our problem. Our problem is after several months of successful ...

  1. Vertias BackupExec Exchange 5.5 backup problems.

    Fellow Backup Exec users,

    I am having issues with Backup Exec backing up our Exchange 5.5 server and
    I am at wits end trying to figure out how to fix our problem. Our problem
    is after several months of successful backups the job started to fail with
    "Access denied" errors on our mailboxes. After talking with Veritas Support
    via email we decided to uninstall Backup Exec and reinstall using the step
    by step guide of Veritas tech notes found on their websites and the errors
    went away. After several days of successful backups we started to get a new
    set of errors along with the "Access denied" error on our mailboxes.

    Here are the different types of errors we receive randomly:

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - append.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 8/2/2002 03:00:00 AM"
    Backup of "\\EXCHANGE-SERVER\System?State "
    Backup set #60 on storage media #2
    Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/16/2002 at 8:31:39 PM.
    Unable to open the item Registry\default - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.

    The System State file could not be backed up.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Registry\SAM - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.

    The System State file could not be backed up.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Registry\SECURITY - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.

    The System State file could not be backed up.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Registry\software - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.

    The System State file could not be backed up.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Registry\system - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.

    The System State file could not be backed up.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 8/16/2002 at 8:32:41 PM.
    Backed up 1894 files in 78 directories.
    5 items were skipped.
    Processed 233,687,210 bytes in 1 minute and 2 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 215.7 MB/min

    and

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - append.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Directory.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Information Store.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
    The device cannot be found.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Access is denied to Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 - performing standard
    backup.
    (You must be a Backup Operator or an Administrator to use the Remote Agent
    for Windows NT/2000.)
    System State requires Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 for backup and restore

    and finally,

    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - append.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 8/2/2002 03:00:00 AM"
    Backup of "\\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Directory "
    Backup set #50 on storage media #2
    Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Backup started on 8/15/2002 at 9:04:01 PM.
    The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Directory - skipped.

    Backup completed on 8/15/2002 at 9:04:13 PM.
    Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)
    1 item was skipped.
    Processed 0 bytes in 12 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min
    Performing Remote Agent backup

    Media Name: "Media created 8/2/2002 03:00:00 AM"
    Backup of "\\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Information Store "
    Backup set #51 on storage media #2
    Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Backup started on 8/15/2002 at 9:04:15 PM.
    The Exchange Store service is not responding. Backup set canceled.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to open the item Information Store - skipped.

    Backup completed on 8/15/2002 at 9:04:26 PM.
    Backed up 0 Exchange Server store(s)
    1 item was skipped.
    Processed 0 bytes in 11 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 0.0 MB/min

    Media Name: "Media created 8/2/2002 03:00:00 AM"
    Backup of "\\EXCHANGE-SERVER\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes "
    Backup set #52 on storage media #2
    Backup set description: "Exchange Backup"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/15/2002 at 9:04:29 PM.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Common Views and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Deferred Action and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Finder and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Schedule and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Shortcuts and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Spooler Queue and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Top of Information Store and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?Directory Service [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    dsa]?Views and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Common Views and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Deferred Action and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Finder and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Schedule and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Shortcuts and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Spooler Queue and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Top of Information Store and its subdirectories.
    Directory not found. Can not backup directory ?System Attendant [servers/cn=Exchange-server/cn=microsoft
    system attendant]?Views and its subdirectories.

    Backup completed on 8/15/2002 at 9:30:56 PM.
    Backed up 61943 mail message(s) in 1548 folder(s) in 82 mailbox(es)
    16 items were skipped.
    Processed 2,213,756,701 bytes in 26 minutes and 27 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 79.8 MB/min

    The weird thing is I can run this job three times and receive three different
    errors of one of the above. I have searched news groups and Veritas tech
    notes and have not resolved our problem.

    Here is some information.
    1) I am able to browse the mailboxes from within the job.
    2) I am able to administer the Exchange server with the Backup Exec account.
    3) The Backup Exec service account has a mailbox and is able to send/receive
    emails to other users within the domain and outside the domain.
    4) Currently running the latest build on both the Backup Exec server and
    the Exchange server.
    5) We run Windows 2000 SP2, SP3 is still being tested on our development
    server, using Active directory and the server is a emulated Backup domain
    controller. The server is also our backup DNS server and backup DHCP server.
    Got to love budget constraints.
    6) Exchange is version 5.5 (latest service pack) and is running on a dedicated
    Windows 2000 server running SP2.

    Thanks for any help in advance and I am sure I am overlooking something.

    Jim

  2. Re: Vertias BackupExec Exchange 5.5 backup problems.

    I would also like to note that Polling is turned off on our Exchange server
    and the Backup Exec acount is in the Domain Admin, Administrator group (both
    Domain and Local on the Mail server), and is in the Backup operaters group.

    Jim

    "J.Tessier" wrote:

> [...]

    >Here is some information.
    >1) I am able to browse the mailboxes from within the job.
    >2) I am able to administer the Exchange server with the Backup Exec account.
    >3) The Backup Exec service account has a mailbox and is able to send/receive
    >emails to other users within the domain and outside the domain.
    >4) Currently running the latest build on both the Backup Exec server and
    >the Exchange server.
    >5) We run Windows 2000 SP2, SP3 is still being tested on our development
    >server, using Active directory and the server is a emulated Backup domain
    >controller. The server is also our backup DNS server and backup DHCP server.
    >Got to love budget constraints.
    >6) Exchange is version 5.5 (latest service pack) and is running on a dedicated
    >Windows 2000 server running SP2.
    >
    >Thanks for any help in advance and I am sure I am overlooking something.

+ Reply to Thread