Server upgrade to Advanced Server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Server upgrade to Advanced Server - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone upgraded from backup exec 8.6 server to backup exec 8.6 advanced server? I can't seem to get the serial number to be accepted and bump out the server serial number. I have even tried to go into the ...

  1. Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    Has anyone upgraded from backup exec 8.6 server to backup exec 8.6 advanced
    server? I can't seem to get the serial number to be accepted and bump out
    the server serial number.

    I have even tried to go into the system registry to change it.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks,

    Ted

  2. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    If you bought BENT Server edition to install on your old ServerOS machine,
    you'll need to buy an BENT AS upgrade to install on the AdvancedServerOS.

    "Ted" wrote:

    >Has anyone upgraded from backup exec 8.6 server to backup exec 8.6 advanced
    >server? I can't seem to get the serial number to be accepted and bump out
    >the server serial number.
    >
    >I have even tried to go into the system registry to change it.
    >
    >Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Ted

  3. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    I have purchased both the server edition and the BENT AS upgrade. BENT Server
    is installed on a Win2k Pro machine and BENT AS upgrade is need in order
    to backup a NAS (Dell PowerVault 715N) running a stripped down Win2k AS.
    When I install the new serial/software for BENT AS on the Win2k Pro machine,
    I never see the BENT AS serial/verbage under the existing serial numbers
    window during install or in the >>help>about veritas, after install.

    Any other suggestions would be great!

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >If you bought BENT Server edition to install on your old ServerOS machine,
    >you'll need to buy an BENT AS upgrade to install on the AdvancedServerOS.
    >

    >"Ted" wrote:
    >>
    >>Has anyone upgraded from backup exec 8.6 server to backup exec 8.6 advanced
    >>server? I can't seem to get the serial number to be accepted and bump

    out
    >>the server serial number.
    >>
    >>I have even tried to go into the system registry to change it.
    >>
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Ted

  4. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    When you "install" the AS Serial, are you removing the Server Serial first?

    "Ted" wrote:

    >I have purchased both the server edition and the BENT AS upgrade. BENT

    Server
    >is installed on a Win2k Pro machine and BENT AS upgrade is need in order
    >to backup a NAS (Dell PowerVault 715N) running a stripped down Win2k AS.
    > When I install the new serial/software for BENT AS on the Win2k Pro machine,
    >I never see the BENT AS serial/verbage under the existing serial numbers
    >window during install or in the >>help>about veritas, after install.
    >
    >Any other suggestions would be great!
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>If you bought BENT Server edition to install on your old ServerOS machine,
    >>you'll need to buy an BENT AS upgrade to install on the AdvancedServerOS.
    >>

    >>"Ted" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone upgraded from backup exec 8.6 server to backup exec 8.6 advanced
    >>>server? I can't seem to get the serial number to be accepted and bump

    >out
    >>>the server serial number.
    >>>
    >>>I have even tried to go into the system registry to change it.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Ted

  5. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    I have tried to, but it errors out when I do so. It tells me "Unable to detect
    a previously installed version of backup exec which automatically approves
    this upgrade"

    When I put the BENT AS serial in without removing the server serial, it appears
    to accept it, but does not show it in the existing serial number window during
    or after installation.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >When you "install" the AS Serial, are you removing the Server Serial first?
    >
    >"Ted" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have purchased both the server edition and the BENT AS upgrade. BENT

    >Server
    >>is installed on a Win2k Pro machine and BENT AS upgrade is need in order
    >>to backup a NAS (Dell PowerVault 715N) running a stripped down Win2k AS.
    >> When I install the new serial/software for BENT AS on the Win2k Pro machine,
    >>I never see the BENT AS serial/verbage under the existing serial numbers
    >>window during install or in the >>help>about veritas, after install.
    >>
    >>Any other suggestions would be great!
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>If you bought BENT Server edition to install on your old ServerOS machine,
    >>>you'll need to buy an BENT AS upgrade to install on the AdvancedServerOS.

    >>out

  6. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    This may be a silly question, but have you tried stopping/starting the BENT
    services?

    "Ted" wrote:

    >I have tried to, but it errors out when I do so. It tells me "Unable to

    detect
    >a previously installed version of backup exec which automatically approves
    >this upgrade"
    >
    >When I put the BENT AS serial in without removing the server serial, it

    appears
    >to accept it, but does not show it in the existing serial number window

    during
    >or after installation.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>When you "install" the AS Serial, are you removing the Server Serial first?
    >>
    >>"Ted" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have purchased both the server edition and the BENT AS upgrade. BENT

    >>Server
    >>>is installed on a Win2k Pro machine and BENT AS upgrade is need in order
    >>>to backup a NAS (Dell PowerVault 715N) running a stripped down Win2k AS.
    >>> When I install the new serial/software for BENT AS on the Win2k Pro machine,
    >>>I never see the BENT AS serial/verbage under the existing serial numbers
    >>>window during install or in the >>help>about veritas, after install.
    >>>
    >>>Any other suggestions would be great!

    >>>out

  7. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    if all else fails, you could contact Veritas Support via the E-mail support
    page ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    ), give them the Server install serial and the AS upgrade serial, and they
    will send you back an AS install serial

    "Ted" wrote:

    >I have tried to, but it errors out when I do so. It tells me "Unable to

    detect
    >a previously installed version of backup exec which automatically approves
    >this upgrade"
    >
    >When I put the BENT AS serial in without removing the server serial, it

    appears
    >to accept it, but does not show it in the existing serial number window

    during
    >or after installation.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>When you "install" the AS Serial, are you removing the Server Serial first?
    >>
    >>"Ted" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have purchased both the server edition and the BENT AS upgrade. BENT

    >>Server
    >>>is installed on a Win2k Pro machine and BENT AS upgrade is need in order
    >>>to backup a NAS (Dell PowerVault 715N) running a stripped down Win2k AS.
    >>> When I install the new serial/software for BENT AS on the Win2k Pro machine,
    >>>I never see the BENT AS serial/verbage under the existing serial numbers
    >>>window during install or in the >>help>about veritas, after install.
    >>>
    >>>Any other suggestions would be great!

    >>>out

  8. Re: Server upgrade to Advanced Server

    Thanks Ken, I did speak with them and they provided a new serial which worked.
    Now I have to get BENT to talk directly to the PowerVault correctly.

    Thanks again!

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >if all else fails, you could contact Veritas Support via the E-mail support
    >page ( http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...BEWNT&crumb=on
    >), give them the Server install serial and the AS upgrade serial, and they
    >will send you back an AS install serial
    >

    >"Ted" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have tried to, but it errors out when I do so. It tells me "Unable to

    >detect
    >>a previously installed version of backup exec which automatically approves
    >>this upgrade"
    >>
    >>When I put the BENT AS serial in without removing the server serial, it

    >appears
    >>to accept it, but does not show it in the existing serial number window

    >during
    >>or after installation.
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>When you "install" the AS Serial, are you removing the Server Serial first?

    >>>Server

    AS.

    machine,

+ Reply to Thread