Backup creates files on local server and on tape device - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup creates files on local server and on tape device - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Recently I have noticed that when I run a backup to a standalone device (Quantum 0 drive) I also get files created on the server that is running the backup. I did not run a backup on Wednesday evening ...

  1. Backup creates files on local server and on tape device

    Hi,
    Recently I have noticed that when I run a backup to a standalone device (Quantum
    0 drive) I also get files created on the server that is running the backup.
    I did not run a backup on Wednesday evening to check whether it was the
    backup routine or not and no file was created. Last night when I ran the
    backup it created a file on the local server. Looking at my job schedule
    it says to back up to Quantum 0 drive).

    Any suggestions on what is happening would be extremely helpful as I am new
    to using this backup software.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Backup creates files on local server and on tape device

    What is the name of the file(s) created, and what directories are they in?

    "Deborah Hoskins-David" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Recently I have noticed that when I run a backup to a standalone device

    (Quantum
    >0 drive) I also get files created on the server that is running the backup.
    > I did not run a backup on Wednesday evening to check whether it was the
    >backup routine or not and no file was created. Last night when I ran the
    >backup it created a file on the local server. Looking at my job schedule
    >it says to back up to Quantum 0 drive).
    >
    >Any suggestions on what is happening would be extremely helpful as I am

    new
    >to using this backup software.
    >
    >Thanks.

  3. Re: Backup creates files on local server and on tape device

    Hi Ken,

    The file(s) are called SSH1P1H674.SSS. The last 3 digits change each day.
    So for example, last night it was 680, on Friday night it was 679.SSS.
    They are created in a Folder called TExpress on the server that is running
    the backup. I have looked at all the settings and as far as I can see it
    should be backing up to the tape.

    Any other help from you would be appreciated.

    Debbie

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >What is the name of the file(s) created, and what directories are they in?
    >
    >"Deborah Hoskins-David" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>Recently I have noticed that when I run a backup to a standalone device

    >(Quantum
    >>0 drive) I also get files created on the server that is running the backup.
    >> I did not run a backup on Wednesday evening to check whether it was the
    >>backup routine or not and no file was created. Last night when I ran the
    >>backup it created a file on the local server. Looking at my job schedule
    >>it says to back up to Quantum 0 drive).
    >>
    >>Any suggestions on what is happening would be extremely helpful as I am

    >new
    >>to using this backup software.
    >>
    >>Thanks.

  4. Re: Backup creates files on local server and on tape device

    AFAIK, those files are not created by BENT.

    Are you running anything else that might use/create an SSS extention? What
    happens (if anything) if you double click on one of those files?

    "Deborah Hoskins-David" wrote:

    >Hi Ken,
    >
    >The file(s) are called SSH1P1H674.SSS. The last 3 digits change each day.
    > So for example, last night it was 680, on Friday night it was 679.SSS.

    >They are created in a Folder called TExpress on the server that is running
    >the backup. I have looked at all the settings and as far as I can see it
    >should be backing up to the tape.
    >
    >Any other help from you would be appreciated.
    >
    >Debbie
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>What is the name of the file(s) created, and what directories are they

    in?

    >>"Deborah Hoskins-David" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>Recently I have noticed that when I run a backup to a standalone device

    >>(Quantum
    >>>0 drive) I also get files created on the server that is running the backup.
    >>> I did not run a backup on Wednesday evening to check whether it was the
    >>>backup routine or not and no file was created. Last night when I ran

    the
    >>>backup it created a file on the local server. Looking at my job schedule
    >>>it says to back up to Quantum 0 drive).
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions on what is happening would be extremely helpful as I am

    >>new
    >>>to using this backup software.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

  5. Re: Backup creates files on local server and on tape device

    When I double click on the file from explorer it opens the generic "Open with"
    window asking me what program I want to use to open it. If I double click
    from Veritas BackUp Exec it shows the contents of the files selected for
    backup from a different server. IE the files on C drive on server "Bertie".

    The log file created by the backup shows "Drive Name: Quantum 0" which is
    the standalone tape backup drive.

    Could it possibly be creating two copies of the same files?

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >AFAIK, those files are not created by BENT.
    >
    >Are you running anything else that might use/create an SSS extention? What
    >happens (if anything) if you double click on one of those files?
    >
    >"Deborah Hoskins-David" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi Ken,
    >>
    >>The file(s) are called SSH1P1H674.SSS. The last 3 digits change each day.
    >> So for example, last night it was 680, on Friday night it was 679.SSS.

    >>They are created in a Folder called TExpress on the server that is running
    >>the backup. I have looked at all the settings and as far as I can see

    it
    >>should be backing up to the tape.
    >>
    >>Any other help from you would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Debbie
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>What is the name of the file(s) created, and what directories are they

    >in?

    >>>(Quantum

    the

    >the