System state backup. Do I need to backup \WINNT as well? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on System state backup. Do I need to backup \WINNT as well? - Veritas Backup Exec ; If I do a System State backup, do I also need to backup the \WINNT dir as well, or would this be redundant? Are there any files within the \WINNT branch that would not get backed up by the System ...

  1. System state backup. Do I need to backup \WINNT as well?

    If I do a System State backup, do I also need to backup the \WINNT dir as
    well, or would this be redundant? Are there any files within the \WINNT
    branch that would not get backed up by the System State backup?

    Ed

  2. Re: System state backup. Do I need to backup \WINNT as well?

    Ed,

    It depends on what kind of server/client you are trying to backup. For example,
    The default folder to save a backup of the configuration of IIS is in the
    winnt directory. If you did not back this up, you would not be able to restore
    the configuration of IIS.

    Click on the restore tab within Backup Exec and then on the System State.
    It will show what it actually will restore.

    In another example, the System State is very important on Domain Controllers
    because it includes the Sysvol directories (where Active directory is stored).

    My personal advise to try a restore on a test computer to see what you really
    need...

    Just my 2 cents,

    Simon

    Edward Ingram wrote:
    >If I do a System State backup, do I also need to backup the \WINNT dir as

    >well, or would this be redundant? Are there any files within the \WINNT

    >branch that would not get backed up by the System State backup?
    >
    >Ed

  3. Re: System state backup. Do I need to backup \WINNT as well?

    This document should help:

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/sear...earchTerm=Syst
    em%20State&Path=seer%2esupport%2everitas%2ecom%2fdocs%2f23516 1%2ehtm

    rogue sphere.

    "Edward Ingram" wrote in message
    news:Xns926A5CC074E91edwardconcretejungle@207.30.2 7.210...
    > If I do a System State backup, do I also need to backup the \WINNT dir as
    > well, or would this be redundant? Are there any files within the \WINNT
    > branch that would not get backed up by the System State backup?
    >
    > Ed

+ Reply to Thread