I have a collection of Travan 10/20gb tapes and two of them repeatily have
problems backing up with BE 8.6 on my stand-alone Seagate STT220000A drive.
I have done the following in an attempt to troubleshoot whether it is a
problem with the tapes themselves or more of a maintanance item with BE or
possibily the drive itself (I am somewhat of a newbie with this):

-I retensioned the tapes
-cleaned the drive head with a cleaner tape
-erased the tape (quick erase was only available)
-tried the 2 "bad" tapes on backups on different days and varying data

Regardless, I still receive the following error:
"Storage device "Seagate 1" reported an error on a request to seek to a logical
media address.

Error reported:
The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

The other three tapes that are used work perfectly and w/o error for the
last 3 months. Is it time to give up on these relatively new tapes or is
there more ways (or better ones) to trbsht these tapes?

Thanks everyone,
Steve