I am trying to back up a Windows 98 second edition machine, data only, 2 specific
directories. I am not using an agent of any kind. I can reliably map drives
and use Windows Explorer to see the drives and directories from the server.

I am using Veritas Backup Exec 7.3 small business.

However, while the backup backs up files and directories, it eventually comes
to the point where it gives me "access denied" and will not go further. Now
the queer thing here is that Windows 98 does not have file or directory specific
security. So no individual file or directory should be inaccessible.

After the failure, I can go in and still use Windows Explorer to see the
directories and files in question.

The problem does not appear to be limited to a particular file or directory.

What gives?

Here are two relevant extracts from the log:

Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Nightly Backup Version 2"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 8/6/02 at 10:33:26 PM.
Access denied to directory \common\Slide Presentations\Liver Dialysis.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And then, at the end:

Backed up 4918 files in 222 directories.
Processed 1,603,087,215 bytes in 41 minutes and 38 seconds.

So you can see that a lot is being done, then it suddenly chokes.

Here is the whole log segment:

Job server: NTSERVER
Job name: Nightly Backup 2
Job started: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 at 10:18:07 PM
Job type: Backup
Log file: BEX17.txt

Drive and media information from media mount:
Drive Name: HP 0
Media Cartridge Label: 4M000025
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1

Job Operation - Backup
Media operation - overwrite.
Software compression enabled.
Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup

Media Name: "Media created 08/06/02 10:18:09 PM"
Backup of "\\DOCUSTAT\C "
Backup set #1 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Nightly Backup Version 2"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 8/6/02 at 10:20:16 PM.

Backup completed on 8/6/02 at 10:33:08 PM.
Backed up 1873 files in 7 directories.
Processed 559,797,756 bytes in 12 minutes and 52 seconds.
Throughput rate: 41.5 MB/min
Software compression ratio: 2.7:1
Agent Accelerator not present - performing standard backup

Media Name: "Media created 08/06/02 10:18:09 PM"
Backup of "\\DOCUSTAT\COMPANY2 "
Backup set #2 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Nightly Backup Version 2"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 8/6/02 at 10:33:26 PM.
Access denied to directory \common\Slide Presentations\Liver Dialysis.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\Slide Presentations\PF.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\Slide Presentations\SQUID.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\Software UpDates.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\Sorbent Hemo.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\System.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\TK Pack DMR.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\TRAVEL.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\UTILITY.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \common\Virus Update.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \Company.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \DC.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \Favorites.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \HCI Policy Manual.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \Operations.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \PCM.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \recovered_stuff.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \Rochester.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \SLPPRO.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \sys.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \WIN32.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Access denied to directory \WinZip.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Backup completed on 8/6/02 at 11:15:04 PM.
Backed up 4918 files in 222 directories.
Processed 1,603,087,215 bytes in 41 minutes and 38 seconds.
Throughput rate: 36.7 MB/min
Software compression ratio: 1.6:1