Drive Off-Line - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Drive Off-Line - Veritas Backup Exec ; Sorry about the previous....I'm so aggravated I hit send before I had the message typed. Anyway... BENT 8.5 3275 on Win2K. Out of the blue, my drive has begun dropping offline when it attempts to rewind a tape after/during a ...

  1. Drive Off-Line

    Sorry about the previous....I'm so aggravated I hit send before I had the
    message typed. Anyway...

    BENT 8.5 3275 on Win2K.

    Out of the blue, my drive has begun dropping offline when it attempts to
    rewind a tape after/during a job. As soon as it hits the end of the tape,
    BENT begins rewinding it and bam.....it dropps off-line and the job fails.
    I can run small jobs as long as they don't span 2 or more tapes.

    I have tried everything suggested in KB and nothing. I even did a clean install
    of both Windows Server and BENT today and the same exact thing happened.

    I welcome any help as I am loosing my mind with this problem.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Drive Off-Line

    Hi,
    The device is displayed as offline if:

    -The device was turned off after Backup Exec was started.
    -The device was being used by another application (such as a Windows NT
    backup utility) when Backup Exec was started.
    -The device is device is disconnected from the computer.

    To place the device online, try the following:

    1. On the Devices tab

    A. Right-click on the tape drive.
    B. Select "Properties".
    C. Select the "Configuration" tab.
    D. Uncheck the "Enable Device for Backup Exec" option (Figure 2).
    E. Select the "OK" button.
    F. Repeat Steps A through E (check the "Enable Device for Backup Exec"
    option).

    2. Stop the utility that is using the device, and then stop and restart
    the Backup Exec services

    3. Check to make sure the device has power and that cables are properly
    attached. Turn the device on and stop and restart Backup Exec services

    If the issue still remains unresolved, then please try reinstalling the
    device drivers for the Tape using Tapeinst.exe utility.
    Following TechNote will provide you with all the necessary information
    regarding Tapeinst.exe utility :

    [What is "TAPEINST.EXE", where is it located, and how to run the utility
    ]

    Thanks
    JG
    "Stan" wrote:

    >Sorry about the previous....I'm so aggravated I hit send before I had the
    >message typed. Anyway...
    >
    >BENT 8.5 3275 on Win2K.
    >
    >Out of the blue, my drive has begun dropping offline when it attempts to
    >rewind a tape after/during a job. As soon as it hits the end of the tape,
    >BENT begins rewinding it and bam.....it dropps off-line and the job fails.
    >I can run small jobs as long as they don't span 2 or more tapes.
    >
    >I have tried everything suggested in KB and nothing. I even did a clean

    install
    >of both Windows Server and BENT today and the same exact thing happened.
    >

    >I welcome any help as I am loosing my mind with this problem.
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Drive Off-Line

    I've done this so many times, I can do it in my sleep. All the obvious has
    been done. Drive stays on line UNTIL it reaches end of tape and needs to
    be rewind. SCSI timesout and the drive drops offline....leaving the tape
    in the drive. This happened out of the blue with absolutely no config changes.

    I have installed new SCSI card and reinstalled both the OS and BackupExec
    and still the problems persist. ARCSERVE here I come!!!
    "jg" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >The device is displayed as offline if:
    >
    > -The device was turned off after Backup Exec was started.
    > -The device was being used by another application (such as a Windows NT
    >backup utility) when Backup Exec was started.
    > -The device is device is disconnected from the computer.
    >

    > To place the device online, try the following:
    >
    > 1. On the Devices tab
    >
    > A. Right-click on the tape drive.
    > B. Select "Properties".
    > C. Select the "Configuration" tab.
    > D. Uncheck the "Enable Device for Backup Exec" option (Figure 2).
    > E. Select the "OK" button.
    > F. Repeat Steps A through E (check the "Enable Device for Backup Exec"
    >option).
    >

    > 2. Stop the utility that is using the device, and then stop and restart
    >the Backup Exec services
    >
    > 3. Check to make sure the device has power and that cables are properly
    >attached. Turn the device on and stop and restart Backup Exec services
    >

    > If the issue still remains unresolved, then please try reinstalling the
    >device drivers for the Tape using Tapeinst.exe utility.
    > Following TechNote will provide you with all the necessary information
    >regarding Tapeinst.exe utility :
    >
    > [What is "TAPEINST.EXE", where is it located, and how to run the utility
    >]
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199881.htm
    >

    >Thanks
    >JG
    >"Stan" wrote:
    >>
    >>Sorry about the previous....I'm so aggravated I hit send before I had the
    >>message typed. Anyway...
    >>
    >>BENT 8.5 3275 on Win2K.
    >>
    >>Out of the blue, my drive has begun dropping offline when it attempts to
    >>rewind a tape after/during a job. As soon as it hits the end of the tape,
    >>BENT begins rewinding it and bam.....it dropps off-line and the job fails.
    >>I can run small jobs as long as they don't span 2 or more tapes.
    >>
    >>I have tried everything suggested in KB and nothing. I even did a clean

    >install
    >>of both Windows Server and BENT today and the same exact thing happened.
    >>

    >>I welcome any help as I am loosing my mind with this problem.
    >>
    >>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread