mailbox backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on mailbox backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have installed backup exec and given it a service acount name ( fred for this question). When I logon to the server as the administrator of the server I cannot get the BE allow me access to the mailboxes. ...

  1. mailbox backup

    I have installed backup exec and given it a service acount name ( fred for
    this question). When I logon to the server as the administrator of the server
    I cannot get the BE allow me access to the mailboxes. I put in the service
    acount of Fred. It still will not let me in. If I logon as Fred I can pick
    the mailboxes and fred works and I can backup the mail boxes. the problem
    is fred is a service account and not the account I use to log into the server
    with. I have made an outlook profile on the server for fred in order to get
    it to work this way. I found a statement in the help files that says (you
    can grant Logon rights for the Backup Exec service account to any uniquely
    named mailbox in the Organization). I cannot figure out who to do this.
    What I need is to be able to logon as sam and use fred to backup the mailboxes
    in exchange.
    Any Ideas please let me know.
    Thanks
    Kevin Warnick
    kwarnick@pc-nt.com

  2. Re: mailbox backup

    Kevin,

    This is a common problem here is how I resolved it:

    Make Service account an Exchange Admin (In Exchange System Manager,
    right-click your site and choose delegate control)
    Give administrator logon rights to the service account mailbox. (In AD Users
    and Computers, right-click the OU that contains fred, select View>Detail.
    Then right-click on fred and choose Properties, click on Exchange Advanced
    then click Mailbox Rights and give sam full control to freds mailbox)

    On reflection you might only need to do number two, let me know how you get
    on.

    Thanks
    Simon

    "Kevin" wrote in message news:3d5928ef@hronntp01....

    > I have installed backup exec and given it a service acount name ( fred for
    > this question). When I logon to the server as the administrator of the

    server
    > I cannot get the BE allow me access to the mailboxes. I put in the service
    > acount of Fred. It still will not let me in. If I logon as Fred I can pick
    > the mailboxes and fred works and I can backup the mail boxes. the problem
    > is fred is a service account and not the account I use to log into the

    server
    > with. I have made an outlook profile on the server for fred in order to

    get
    > it to work this way. I found a statement in the help files that says (you
    > can grant Logon rights for the Backup Exec service account to any uniquely
    > named mailbox in the Organization). I cannot figure out who to do this.
    > What I need is to be able to logon as sam and use fred to backup the

    mailboxes
    > in exchange.
    > Any Ideas please let me know.
    > Thanks
    > Kevin Warnick
    > kwarnick@pc-nt.com

  3. Re: mailbox backup

    In article <3d5937c4@hronntp01.>, sruzgar@nospam.yahoo.com says...
    > This is a common problem here is how I resolved it:
    >
    > Make Service account an Exchange Admin (In Exchange System Manager,
    > right-click your site and choose delegate control)
    > Give administrator logon rights to the service account mailbox. (In AD Users
    > and Computers, right-click the OU that contains fred, select View>Detail.
    > Then right-click on fred and choose Properties, click on Exchange Advanced
    > then click Mailbox Rights and give sam full control to freds mailbox)
    >
    > On reflection you might only need to do number two, let me know how you get
    > on.

    None of this worked for me.
    I've followed the following steps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q262054

    And still I can only access the individual mailboxes in BE when I log in
    as the service account.

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...

  4. Re: mailbox backup

    Did you create a MAPI profile for your BackupExec service account while
    logged on as the Administrator?

    Simon

    "Howie" wrote in message
    news:MPG.17c3736dd2331a32989695@news.support.verit as.com...
    > In article <3d5937c4@hronntp01.>, sruzgar@nospam.yahoo.com says...
    > > This is a common problem here is how I resolved it:
    > >
    > > Make Service account an Exchange Admin (In Exchange System Manager,
    > > right-click your site and choose delegate control)
    > > Give administrator logon rights to the service account mailbox. (In AD

    Users
    > > and Computers, right-click the OU that contains fred, select

    View>Detail.
    > > Then right-click on fred and choose Properties, click on Exchange

    > > then click Mailbox Rights and give sam full control to freds mailbox)
    > >
    > > On reflection you might only need to do number two, let me know how you

    get
    > > on.
    > >

    > None of this worked for me.
    > I've followed the following steps:
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190937.htm
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191561.htm
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q262054
    >
    > And still I can only access the individual mailboxes in BE when I log in
    > as the service account.
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    > is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    > Ayya Khema

  5. Re: mailbox backup

    In article <3d5a5a43@hronntp01.>, sruzgar@nospam.yahoo.com says...
    > Did you create a MAPI profile for your BackupExec service account while
    > logged on as the Administrator?

    The BEsvrcAccnt is mail enabled. I've logged on as the user and sent &
    received email via OWA for that account. Also, when logged on as
    BEsvrcAccnt I can open BE and access the individual mailboxes using it's
    email address (BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com). I just can't access the
    individual mailboxes when logged on as another administrator and
    entering BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com when prompted.

    I've not installed Outlook on the ExchSvr2k, and thus not created a MAPI
    profile, because BE is installed locally and as per
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190937.htm,
    "Note: A MAPI compliant e-mail client needs to be installed on the
    backup server (e.g. Microsoft Outlook). ***It may not be needed to
    install any MAPI client if Backup Exec is installed locally on the
    Exchange server.***"

    Installing Outlook on the ExchSvr would require another Outlook license.
    I suppose in re-reading the last sentence of the above quote the part
    that jumps out at me is "_may not_ be needed". It makes me wonder if
    Veritas knows how their software works. However, for testing and
    troubleshooting purposes I'll install Outlook, create a MAPI profile,
    see what happens, and return with my findings.

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

  6. Re: mailbox backup

    In article ,
    notlikely@anywhere.com says...
    > The BEsvrcAccnt is mail enabled. I've logged on as the user and sent &
    > received email via OWA for that account. Also, when logged on as
    > BEsvrcAccnt I can open BE and access the individual mailboxes using it's
    > email address (BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com). I just can't access the
    > individual mailboxes when logged on as another administrator and
    > entering BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com when prompted.

    [snip]
    > However, for testing and
    > troubleshooting purposes I'll install Outlook, create a MAPI profile,
    > see what happens, and return with my findings.

    Installed Outlook, created a MAPI profile for BEsvrcAccnt both when
    logged on as that account and as another administrator. Other
    administrators still can't access the individual mailboxes in BE.

    **However**, I realized I miss-read your solution, which BTW works like
    a charm--give the other administrators Full Access to BEsvrcAccnt's
    mailbox. The BE service account does NOT have to log in, does NOT
    require a MAPI profile, does NOT need to ever access it's mailbox
    (Outlook, OWA, or with any other app), does NOT need to be delegated any
    Exch permissions, and Outlook does NOT have to be installed (YMMV since
    my test server had both Exch2k and BE v8.6 b3878 installed locally).

    Note: the emphasis on 'not' was only for the sake of clarity and does
    not imply any emotion--except possibly to Veritas.

    (And for the sake of other's who may have a question about permissions,
    you may notice (depending on what processes you have done prior to the
    above listed steps) that Administrators are inheriting 'Deny' Full
    Access to the BE service account's mailbox. Just click on the 'Allow'
    Full Access because specifically given permissions override inherited
    permissions. Read the second to last paragraph of Q262054 or just read
    Q233419.)

    Thanks Simon.

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

  7. Re: mailbox backup

    I'm pretty sure you DO need to create a MAPI profile, however you don't need
    to install Outlook or Outlook Express. I used a utility from Microsoft
    called Profman that allows you to create a MAPI profiles on a machine.

    You may be right though because I created the MAPI profile before I granted
    mailbox access to my admin account, I also delegated exchange control to the
    BENT service account.

    Glad you got it working though.

    Simon

    "Howie" wrote in message
    news:MPG.17c43cdd6beee48d989697@news.support.verit as.com...
    > In article ,
    > notlikely@anywhere.com says...
    > > The BEsvrcAccnt is mail enabled. I've logged on as the user and sent &
    > > received email via OWA for that account. Also, when logged on as
    > > BEsvrcAccnt I can open BE and access the individual mailboxes using it's
    > > email address (BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com). I just can't access the
    > > individual mailboxes when logged on as another administrator and
    > > entering BEsvrcAccnt@domain.com when prompted.

    > [snip]
    > > However, for testing and
    > > troubleshooting purposes I'll install Outlook, create a MAPI profile,
    > > see what happens, and return with my findings.
    > >

    > Installed Outlook, created a MAPI profile for BEsvrcAccnt both when
    > logged on as that account and as another administrator. Other
    > administrators still can't access the individual mailboxes in BE.
    >
    > **However**, I realized I miss-read your solution, which BTW works like
    > a charm--give the other administrators Full Access to BEsvrcAccnt's
    > mailbox. The BE service account does NOT have to log in, does NOT
    > require a MAPI profile, does NOT need to ever access it's mailbox
    > (Outlook, OWA, or with any other app), does NOT need to be delegated any
    > Exch permissions, and Outlook does NOT have to be installed (YMMV since
    > my test server had both Exch2k and BE v8.6 b3878 installed locally).
    >
    > Note: the emphasis on 'not' was only for the sake of clarity and does
    > not imply any emotion--except possibly to Veritas.
    >
    > (And for the sake of other's who may have a question about permissions,
    > you may notice (depending on what processes you have done prior to the
    > above listed steps) that Administrators are inheriting 'Deny' Full
    > Access to the BE service account's mailbox. Just click on the 'Allow'
    > Full Access because specifically given permissions override inherited
    > permissions. Read the second to last paragraph of Q262054 or just read
    > Q233419.)
    >
    > Thanks Simon.
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    > is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    > Ayya Khema

  8. Re: mailbox backup: includes info from Veritas support

    In article <3d5abaee$1@hronntp01.>, sruzgar@nospam.yahoo.com says...
    > I'm pretty sure you DO need to create a MAPI profile, however you don't need
    > to install Outlook or Outlook Express. I used a utility from Microsoft
    > called Profman that allows you to create a MAPI profiles on a machine.

    It _appears_ to work without the MAPI profile, but thanks for the heads-
    up on the Profman tool. I was wondering how I'd make the profile without
    installing a MAPI client.

    > You may be right though because I created the MAPI profile before I granted
    > mailbox access to my admin account, I also delegated exchange control to the
    > BENT service account.

    I'm not hip on giving more accounts rights that they don't need--for
    security reasons.

    > Glad you got it working though.

    Here's something interesting that Veritas email support sent me. Has
    ANYONE ever seen this information documented?!

    *****
    Begin Veritas email
    *****
    If you wish to view and backup using administrator account, you need to
    make administrator as backup exec service account (besa). Please be
    aware that with besa only you can perform mailbox backup.

    Please modify the besa, kindly perform as given below:
    - Go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services
    - Locate all the Backup Exec services and stop them
    - Right click on the Backup Exec service and select properties
    - Go to "Log on". Select Log on As: | This Account:
    - Enter the Backup Exec Service Account username and password and then
    press OK.
    - Start all the Backup Exec Services

    Please recreate the backup jobs and perform the backup. Also create a
    unique mailbox for administrator if not existing.

    To achieve successful backups of the Exchange Server, following steps
    are mandatory:

    (A) If Backup Exec and exchange running are running on different servers
    On Media Server (Backup Exec Server)
    - Logon using “BKAdmin” [Backup Exec Service Account]
    - Any MAPI Email client to be installed (e.g.: - Outlook 97/2000).
    - Ensure that Exchange System Manager Utility is installed and able to
    connect to Exchange Server.
    - Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service. Enable this Mailbox
    by sending few mails to it. Also send few mails from this mailbox.
    - Copy the file ESEBCLI2.DLL from the Exchange 2000 Server to Backup
    Exec Server. Both servers should have same version of the file and file
    should be copied from Exchange server only. If Service pack is applied,
    then also copy this file to Backup Exec Server.
    - Copy MAPI32.DLL from \Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt
    to \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.
    - Stop all the Backup Exec services by running bestop.bat (Path=\Program
    Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT).
    - Rename the file bewinui.uni to bewinui.old (Path= \Program
    files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\DATA)
    - Restart the Services by running bestart.bat (Path=\Program
    Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT).
    - Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as
    Backup Exec Service Account.

    On Exchange Server
    - Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 (RANT) has to be installed.
    - Create uniquely named Mailbox on the Exchange Server for Backup Exec
    service account (BKAdmin) with the same Username & Password.
    - Start system manager and by right clicking the organization
    start "Delegate control" wizard and grant "bkadmin" user "Exchange Full
    Administrator" rights
    - Log off & Re-logon in your machine.

    (B) If Backup Exec and Exchange running on the same Server
    - Logon using “BKAdmin” on the media server. [Backup Exec Service
    Account]
    - Any MAPI Email client to be installed (e.g.: - Outlook 97/2000).
    - Configure Outlook profile using Exchange service. Enable this Mailbox
    by sending few mails to it. Also send few mails from this mailbox.
    - "Exchange Server Agent" has to be installed and is able to connect to
    Exchange server.
    - Copy MAPI32.DLL from \Program Files\common files\system\mapi\1033\nt
    to \Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT.
    - Stop all the Backup Exec services by running bestop.bat (Path=\Program
    Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT).
    - Rename the file bewinui.uni to bewinui.old (Path= \Program
    files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\DATA)
    - Restart the Services by running bestart.bat (Path=\Program
    Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT).
    - Start Backup Exec and select the mailboxes and provide connect info as
    Backup Exec Service Account.

    Hope above clarifies you.

    Kindly note that the latest build for Backup Exec for NT/2000 v8.6 is
    build 3878. It is recommended to upgrade the build to 3878 and it can be
    downloaded from the URL given below:
    - BENT v8.6 build 3878 (Intel) (English)
    [http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/241035.htm]
    - This is a free upgrade.
    - Update all agents/options on all remote systems where ever you have
    installed agents/options.

    If the issue is unresolved after the upgrade, kindly provide following
    information:

    - Related Backup/Restore Job log

    - Event logs (application and system event log in .evt format)

    - Latest BEDIAG.FAX [For Backup Exec Server and all remote systems (if
    any)].
    How to create BEDIAG.FAX please refer the following technote

    - SGMON Log
    How to create SGMON.LOG please refer the following technote
    http://www.seer.support.veritas.com/docs/190979.htm
    Note: Start sgmon before starting the Backup Exec/backup/restore
    operation.

    - System Information file
    --For Windows 2000 systems
    Select My Computer | Right Click | Manage | Select System Information

    Save As (.nfo)

    And/Or,
    -- For Windows NT Systems (Microsoft Diagnostic File)
    Run Winmsd.exe | File | Save | msdrpt.txt

    - Related screen images (in .jpg format)

    - Debug*.* log files
    --Remote systems (if any)
    How to put the Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 v8.5 (or
    above) Remote Agent into debug mode.
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236266.htm]

    -- Job Engine on Media Server
    How to run Backup Exec for Windows NT v8.x, v7.x in Debug Mode on a
    Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 platform.

    Note: Please send the requested information in a single zip file.
    *****

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

  9. Re: mailbox backup: includes info from Veritas support

    Your probably right if BENT is on the same machine as Exchange Server then
    you don't need a MAPI Profile. I'm not a big fan of giving accounts more
    security than they need, this was all in the name of troubleshooting ;-)

    Never seen any of that stuff from Veritas, seems awful complicated. Backing
    up mailboxes "shouldn't" be this hard. I have heard restoring a mailbox is
    hard also but (touch wood) I have never had to do this yet.

    Simon

    "Howie" wrote in message
    news:MPG.17c559ef453367b6989698@news.support.verit as.com...
> [...]

    > And/Or,
    > -- For Windows NT Systems (Microsoft Diagnostic File)
    > Run Winmsd.exe | File | Save | msdrpt.txt
    >
    > - Related screen images (in .jpg format)
    >
    > - Debug*.* log files
    > --Remote systems (if any)
    > How to put the Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 v8.5 (or
    > above) Remote Agent into debug mode.
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236266.htm]
    >
    > -- Job Engine on Media Server
    > How to run Backup Exec for Windows NT v8.x, v7.x in Debug Mode on a
    > Windows NT 4.0 and Windows 2000 platform.
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/192072.htm
    >
    > Note: Please send the requested information in a single zip file.
    > *****
    >
    > --
    > Howie
    > "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    > is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."

  10. Re: mailbox backup: ...more info from Veritas support

    In article <3d5bb487@hronntp01.>, sruzgar@nospam.yahoo.com says...
    > Never seen any of that stuff from Veritas, seems awful complicated. Backing
    > up mailboxes "shouldn't" be this hard. I have heard restoring a mailbox is
    > hard also but (touch wood) I have never had to do this yet.

    As I get it I'll post it here.

    *****
    More Info From Veritas
    *****
    We apologize for the confusion caused and for not clarifying your
    questions. Hopefully, you will find all the answers in this mail. Please
    read on….

    1. Backup Exec services work under the Backup Exec service account
    (besa). Besa has special rights of “Logon as a service” and
    Administrative rights. It also acts as a part of OS. This account is
    designed for smooth functioning of Backup and Restore operations. It
    functions transparently for Backup and Restore without any hitches. It
    is therefore, recommended to have besa as a separate service account,
    which no other user uses it for normal administrative tasks. It is
    suggested that with this besa, only backup and restore be performed. It
    is important to understand that besa is not meant to carry general
    administration tasks. We highly recommend using besa account for mailbox
    backups/restore operations.However, you can use any admin equivalent or
    Administrators group for the purpose of Backup or Restore for mailbox
    (Brick level backup). If it suits your needs, with Administrators group,
    you may continue doing so.

    2. Regarding Documentation, we would like you to refer page 586 in
    Backup Exec v 8.6 Admin Guide for more information on besa account in
    connection with Exchange Agent. As for the suggestions/steps given in
    our earlier mail dt15th August, they are very generic and listed to suit
    different sites/organizations.

    3. Regarding your question on why/whether Outlook client is required to
    be installed on the Media Server, the answer is, it is not mandatory to
    have Outlook on the media server if and only if Exchange Server is also
    running on the same. However, in order for the besa mailbox to get
    activated, it is necessary to send at least one email to the same.

    4. Currently, BE does not support using Internet Explorer to access
    Exchange Server via OWA (Outlook Web Access). Therefore, you need to
    deploy ANY MAPI – compliant Email client. We request you to log an
    enhancement request at the following site http://Enhancement.Veritas.com
    recommending support for OWA. We fully agree with your opinion that it
    is desirable to have far few applications running in the servers and far
    few accounts logging in to the servers.

    5. Answer to another question that you raised in the previous mail: what
    is achieved by copying the files that we mentioned in our first mail. It
    is necessary to ensure that certain files (such as esebcli2.dll and
    mapi32.dll) are exactly of same versions (and size) referred by both
    Backup Exec media server and the Exchange Server. Therefore, we
    recommend them to be copied to the appropriate folders to ensure smooth
    operation.
    *****
    End Info From Veritas
    *****

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

  11. Re: mailbox backup: ...more info from Veritas support

    In article ,
    notlikely@anywhere.com says...
    > > Never seen any of that stuff from Veritas, seems awful complicated. Backing
    > > up mailboxes "shouldn't" be this hard. I have heard restoring a mailbox is
    > > hard also but (touch wood) I have never had to do this yet.
    > >

    > As I get it I'll post it here.

    Included is the reason why the besa needs to be delegated Full Admin
    rights to Exchange.

    *****
    More Info From Veritas
    *****
    Kindly find the answers to both of your queries as follows:

    1.The Backup Exec service account (BESA) needs to be assigned the
    Exchange Full Administrator rights because this privilege is required in
    the event of performing restore operation of a deleted mailbox or
    performing disaster recovery of Exchange server.

    2.Kindly note that we have simulated the entire Exchange configuration
    as of yours in our laboratory. We have found out that by allowing other
    administrators Full Access to the "BESA" mailbox the functionality to
    perform brick level backup/restore (mailbox backup) is assigned to the
    members of Administrators group.
    *****
    End Info From Veritas
    *****

    --
    Howie
    "The only way we can find peace in our own hearts...
    is by changing ourselves, not by changing the world."
    Ayya Khema

+ Reply to Thread