Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors? - Veritas Backup Exec ; We've got Seagate scorpion DDS3 drives and using HP DDS3 data cartridges (C5708A) and some are getting hundreds of soft write errors while some only have a few. There are no hard write errors. These tapes were supposed to be ...

  1. Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors?

    We've got Seagate scorpion DDS3 drives and using HP DDS3 data cartridges
    (C5708A) and some are getting hundreds of soft write errors while some only
    have a few. There are no hard write errors.
    These tapes were supposed to be in use for a few months but there were
    actually no backups performed (blind acceptance that slapping a tape in
    would get the job done)
    TIA,
    Peter

  2. Re: Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors?

    We have 4 Seagate DDS3 tape drives in use. The error rates vary from one
    drive to another. The more errors during backup, the more likely the tapes
    won't be readable when needed. If you're getting more than a few dozen soft
    write errors per gigabyte of backed up data, your drives need attention.

    davec
    "Peter Hagen" wrote in message
    > We've got Seagate scorpion DDS3 drives and using HP DDS3 data cartridges
    > (C5708A) and some are getting hundreds of soft write errors while some

    only
    > have a few. There are no hard write errors.
    > These tapes were supposed to be in use for a few months but there were
    > actually no backups performed (blind acceptance that slapping a tape in
    > would get the job done)
    > TIA,
    > Peter

  3. Re: Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors?

    "Peter Hagen" wrote:
    >We've got Seagate scorpion DDS3 drives and using HP DDS3 data cartridges
    >(C5708A) and some are getting hundreds of soft write errors while some only
    >have a few. There are no hard write errors.
    >These tapes were supposed to be in use for a few months but there were
    >actually no backups performed (blind acceptance that slapping a tape in
    >would get the job done)
    >TIA,
    >Peter
    >
    >Way to many errors. Have you been cleaning the tape drive. Put the cleaning

    tape in the drive at least 5 times. It runs about 15 seconds each. The good
    thing is there is no hard errors (Drive)

  4. Re: Tape errors; What's an unacceptable rate of errors?

    Any error can be diasterous...But, software errors result when the tape drive
    eventually successfully reads/writes the data. It's the hard errors that
    need attention. Usually a hard error will fail the job and the rest of the
    data is not backed up. This is a case for concern. Format the tape and clean
    the drive are two possible trouble shooting tips.

    Just my 2 cents,

    Simon

    "David Cronshaw" wrote:
    >We have 4 Seagate DDS3 tape drives in use. The error rates vary from one
    >drive to another. The more errors during backup, the more likely the tapes
    >won't be readable when needed. If you're getting more than a few dozen soft
    >write errors per gigabyte of backed up data, your drives need attention.
    >
    >davec
    >"Peter Hagen" wrote in message
    >> We've got Seagate scorpion DDS3 drives and using HP DDS3 data cartridges
    >> (C5708A) and some are getting hundreds of soft write errors while some

    >only
    >> have a few. There are no hard write errors.
    >> These tapes were supposed to be in use for a few months but there were
    >> actually no backups performed (blind acceptance that slapping a tape in
    >> would get the job done)
    >> TIA,
    >> Peter

+ Reply to Thread