Unix Agent Woes: - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unix Agent Woes: - Veritas Backup Exec ; Has anyone had any luck with using the UNIX agent to connect to linux? I have installed the latest agent on redhat 7.2 and SuSE 7.3 and gone through the trouble-shooting guides but, the BackupExec 8.0 and 8.6 severs running ...

  1. Unix Agent Woes:

    Has anyone had any luck with using the UNIX agent to connect to linux? I
    have installed the latest agent on redhat 7.2 and SuSE 7.3 and gone through
    the trouble-shooting guides but, the BackupExec 8.0 and 8.6 severs running
    Win 2k Server are unable to see any UNIX agents on the network.

  2. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    Are you certain the agent is starting correctly? There should be a file
    called agent.log on the Linux box. Check that for any errors. Here's what
    my file shows:

    /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Using configuration file:
    /usr/local/beagent/agent.cfg
    /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Agent configuration OK.
    /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Workstation Name: "LINUX1"
    /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Backup Exec Agent ready to service requests.

    Also make sure your agent.cfg file is set to "tell" the backup server about
    its existence:

    name LINUX1
    export / as root
    tell server1
    tell_interval 30
    exclude_dir /dev
    exclude_dir /proc
    exclude_dir /floppy
    exclude_dir /cdrom
    exclude_dir /lost+found
    exclude_dir /boot/lost+found
    exclude_dir /tmp
    exclude_dir /mnt
    exclude_dir /var/spool/squid

    I have found that it doesn't work to specify an IP address. Instead you
    must use the name as shown above (server1). And this name must be
    resolvable from the Linux box (eg, ping server1 should work).

    Hope this helps.

    -Rod

  3. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    Thanks Rod. Yep I have verified that the service is running on the linux
    machines. But, I still can't seem to attach to them with the backup server.
    I guess I need to contact Veritas support.

    "Rod Savard" wrote in message
    > Are you certain the agent is starting correctly? There should be a file
    > called agent.log on the Linux box. Check that for any errors. Here's

    what
    > my file shows:
    >
    > /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Using configuration file:
    > /usr/local/beagent/agent.cfg
    > /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Agent configuration OK.
    > /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Workstation Name: "LINUX1"
    > /usr/local/beagent/agent.be: Backup Exec Agent ready to service requests.
    >
    > Also make sure your agent.cfg file is set to "tell" the backup server

    about
    > its existence:
    >
    > name LINUX1
    > export / as root
    > tell server1
    > tell_interval 30
    > exclude_dir /dev
    > exclude_dir /proc
    > exclude_dir /floppy
    > exclude_dir /cdrom
    > exclude_dir /lost+found
    > exclude_dir /boot/lost+found
    > exclude_dir /tmp
    > exclude_dir /mnt
    > exclude_dir /var/spool/squid
    >
    > I have found that it doesn't work to specify an IP address. Instead you
    > must use the name as shown above (server1). And this name must be
    > resolvable from the Linux box (eg, ping server1 should work).
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > -Rod

  4. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    > Thanks Rod. Yep I have verified that the service is running on the linux
    > machines. But, I still can't seem to attach to them with the backup

    server.
    > I guess I need to contact Veritas support.

    Do you see the Linux box in Backup Exec? Have you set up at least one
    export in your agent.cfg file?

    -Rod

  5. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    Hey Rod, thanks again for your help on this. I have been trying to export
    the / directory as root. I could see the linux server through BackupExec
    because of its samba share. I thought that this might be conflicting with
    the UNIX Agent so I disabled the samba share but, that didn't help. I have
    made the correct entries in the hosts and services files and can ping the
    backup server by name. As well as made sure that the enable TCP/IP agents
    box was checked on the BackupExec computer.

    "Rod Savard" wrote in message
    > > Thanks Rod. Yep I have verified that the service is running on the linux
    > > machines. But, I still can't seem to attach to them with the backup

    > server.
    > > I guess I need to contact Veritas support.

    > Do you see the Linux box in Backup Exec? Have you set up at least one
    > export in your agent.cfg file?
    >
    > -Rod

  6. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    > I could see the linux server through BackupExec because of its samba
    share.

    But can you see it listed under "Unix Agents"? Samba doesn't conflict with
    the Backup Exec agent. If you are not seeing the "Unix Agents" under
    "Remote Selections" in Backup Exec, then it is not seeing your Linux box.

    By the way, did you add the grfs line to your /etc/services?

    # Local services
    grfs 6101/tcp # Backup Exec Agent

    -Rod

  7. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    Yep, I added it first to the linux box and then later to the windows box in
    an effort to get it to work. I have also added a hosts entry for the linux
    box on the windows box. I can ping each machine from the other by host name.
    But, still no luck.

    "Rod Savard" wrote in message
    > > I could see the linux server through BackupExec because of its samba

    > share.
    >
    > But can you see it listed under "Unix Agents"? Samba doesn't conflict

    with
    > the Backup Exec agent. If you are not seeing the "Unix Agents" under
    > "Remote Selections" in Backup Exec, then it is not seeing your Linux box.
    >
    > By the way, did you add the grfs line to your /etc/services?
    >
    > # Local services
    > grfs 6101/tcp # Backup Exec Agent
    >
    > -Rod

  8. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    I Seem to have the same problem. I have a BE 8.6 running on W2K and an UNIX
    agent running on SuSE 7.2. I can see the agent in the BE at the agent's
    section, but I can't see the list of exported paths. Seems like I can't
    establish an connection to the agent

    "Rod Savard" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > I could see the linux server through BackupExec because of its samba

    > share.
    >
    > But can you see it listed under "Unix Agents"? Samba doesn't conflict

    with
    > the Backup Exec agent. If you are not seeing the "Unix Agents" under
    > "Remote Selections" in Backup Exec, then it is not seeing your Linux box.
    >
    > By the way, did you add the grfs line to your /etc/services?
    >
    > # Local services
    > grfs 6101/tcp # Backup Exec Agent

  9. Re: Unix Agent Woes:

    Are you using any firewall rules on this box which could be preventing the
    BEX server from connecting to your box?

    -Rod

+ Reply to Thread