Persistent Backup Failures - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Persistent Backup Failures - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a client running BE 8.5, Latest Build, Latest Driver. New Media, new media sets... Still getting persistent failures ... I have tried verything in the Knowledge base, newsgroups etc... The Backup Hardware is a P1000 autoloader with dual ...

  1. Persistent Backup Failures

    I have a client running BE 8.5, Latest Build, Latest Driver.

    New Media, new media sets...

    Still getting persistent failures ...

    I have tried verything in the Knowledge base, newsgroups etc...

    The Backup Hardware is a P1000 autoloader with dual DLT drives...

    This machine was backing up succesfully, for over 12 months, but now refuses
    to work...

    The Archive and Retrievel functions work through RSM ...

    but a full system backup fails every time with different errors,

    Ranging from CRC errors to Changer error - requested media owned by another
    application.

    I have not had a successfull full backup for close to a month.

    The situation is getting desperate.

    I need a resolution soon.

    Can I assume that the hardware is at fault ?

    Is it possible that the drives are getting "tired" and I need to slow down
    the SCSI settings ( ie maximum tranfer rate ...)

    Will multiple cleans resolve the issue ...

    Do I dump BE and use NT Backup ...

    any help would be appreciated ...

    Thanks

    Joe .

  2. Re: Persistent Backup Failures

    Shut down all seven BENT services, and try a backup with NTBackup. If
    that fails, you've probably got hardware issues. If NTBackup succeeds,
    then something in BENT needs tp be tweaked.

    Joe wrote:

    >I have a client running BE 8.5, Latest Build, Latest Driver.
    >
    >New Media, new media sets...
    >
    >Still getting persistent failures ...
    >
    >I have tried verything in the Knowledge base, newsgroups etc...
    >
    >The Backup Hardware is a P1000 autoloader with dual DLT drives...
    >
    >This machine was backing up succesfully, for over 12 months, but now refuses
    >to work...
    >
    >The Archive and Retrievel functions work through RSM ...
    >
    >but a full system backup fails every time with different errors,
    >
    >Ranging from CRC errors to Changer error - requested media owned by another
    >application.
    >
    >I have not had a successfull full backup for close to a month.
    >
    >The situation is getting desperate.
    >
    >I need a resolution soon.
    >
    >Can I assume that the hardware is at fault ?
    >
    >Is it possible that the drives are getting "tired" and I need to slow down
    >the SCSI settings ( ie maximum tranfer rate ...)
    >
    >Will multiple cleans resolve the issue ...
    >
    >Do I dump BE and use NT Backup ...
    >
    >any help would be appreciated ...
    >

    >Thanks
    >
    >Joe .