BE 8.6 Only willing to backup approx 32GB of data. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 8.6 Only willing to backup approx 32GB of data. - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a single Windows 2000 Server, with a DDS 4 tape drive, and also BE v8.6. After loading BE 8.6 on the new server it worked fine, up untill 6 weeks ago, when the Software started asking for a ...

  1. BE 8.6 Only willing to backup approx 32GB of data.

    I have a single Windows 2000 Server, with a DDS 4 tape drive, and also BE
    v8.6.

    After loading BE 8.6 on the new server it worked fine, up untill 6 weeks
    ago, when the Software started asking for a new tape when it had backed-up
    only 32gb of the actual 36gb data. If you put the same tape back in the
    drive the job fails. If you put a fresh tape into the drive it completes
    the job.

    My question is this, the drive is DDS 4 and therefore should be able to
    backup somewhere in the region of 40gb of data if we use compression (which
    we are).

    Has anyone anyone come across this or a similar problem?

    OTHER INFO
    Windows 2000 Server SP2
    Backup Exec v8.6, using Compression and a DDS 4 tape drive with the Veritas
    driver (which has been reloaded)
    Configured in a Domain, with active directory running
    Total amount of data 36gb, only getting 32gb per tape, all of which are
    brand new.

    Many thanks
    Richard

  2. Re: BE 8.6 Only willing to backup approx 32GB of data.

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm

    "Richard" wrote:
    >I have a single Windows 2000 Server, with a DDS 4 tape drive, and also BE
    >v8.6.
    >
    >After loading BE 8.6 on the new server it worked fine, up untill 6 weeks
    >ago, when the Software started asking for a new tape when it had backed-up
    >only 32gb of the actual 36gb data. If you put the same tape back in the
    >drive the job fails. If you put a fresh tape into the drive it completes
    >the job.
    >
    >My question is this, the drive is DDS 4 and therefore should be able to
    >backup somewhere in the region of 40gb of data if we use compression (which
    >we are).
    >
    >Has anyone anyone come across this or a similar problem?
    >
    >OTHER INFO
    >Windows 2000 Server SP2
    >Backup Exec v8.6, using Compression and a DDS 4 tape drive with the Veritas
    >driver (which has been reloaded)
    >Configured in a Domain, with active directory running
    >Total amount of data 36gb, only getting 32gb per tape, all of which are
    >brand new.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >Richard

  3. Re: BE 8.6 Only willing to backup approx 32GB of data.

    As I see this issue, you're assuming you will get a full 2:1 compression.
    Just because the tape is capable of 40GB, does not mean it will reach it.
    Not all files can be compressed 2:1. I have run into this many times, and
    it can't really be circumvented. If you are getting 32GB, then you appear
    to already be running the hardware compression already mentioned.

    Nick Jarratt

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199542.htm
    >

    > "Richard" wrote:
    > >I have a single Windows 2000 Server, with a DDS 4 tape drive, and also BE
    > >v8.6.
    > >
    > >After loading BE 8.6 on the new server it worked fine, up untill 6 weeks
    > >ago, when the Software started asking for a new tape when it had

    backed-up
    > >only 32gb of the actual 36gb data. If you put the same tape back in the
    > >drive the job fails. If you put a fresh tape into the drive it completes
    > >the job.
    > >
    > >My question is this, the drive is DDS 4 and therefore should be able to
    > >backup somewhere in the region of 40gb of data if we use compression

    (which
    > >we are).
    > >
    > >Has anyone anyone come across this or a similar problem?
    > >
    > >OTHER INFO
    > >Windows 2000 Server SP2
    > >Backup Exec v8.6, using Compression and a DDS 4 tape drive with the

    Veritas
    > >driver (which has been reloaded)
    > >Configured in a Domain, with active directory running
    > >Total amount of data 36gb, only getting 32gb per tape, all of which are
    > >brand new.
    > >
    > >Many thanks
    > >Richard

+ Reply to Thread