Do SQL filegroups need to be backed up? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Do SQL filegroups need to be backed up? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have BE for SMB Server 2000 V8.6. When selecting backup objects & check the SQL icon, all the databases are selected for backup, but none of the filegroups. Do I need filegroups checked to do a full restore? Is ...

  1. Do SQL filegroups need to be backed up?

    I have BE for SMB Server 2000 V8.6. When selecting backup objects &
    check the SQL icon, all the databases are selected for backup, but none
    of the filegroups. Do I need filegroups checked to do a full restore?
    Is there any documentation on what a filegroup backup backs up?
    Thanks

  2. Re: Do SQL filegroups need to be backed up?

    When you select only the database for a full backup, you are getting
    everything that you need to recover. This will backup the Primary
    filegroups and any user-created filegroups, along with the transaction log.
    Do not select any items that contain the word 'filegroup'.

    On your server in the Microsoft SQL Server folder on the Start menu is a
    link to a Books Online. The default is to install Books Online to the hard
    drive. This is the best place to begin on most any SQL Server topic.

    Alex

    "Susan Rockwell" wrote in message
    > I have BE for SMB Server 2000 V8.6. When selecting backup objects &
    > check the SQL icon, all the databases are selected for backup, but none
    > of the filegroups. Do I need filegroups checked to do a full restore?
    > Is there any documentation on what a filegroup backup backs up?
    > Thanks

+ Reply to Thread