Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store - Veritas Backup Exec ; Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09 mb/minute. ...

  1. Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store

    Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot
    seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal
    but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09 mb/minute.
    Obviously with a 36 GB information store, this is unbearable. I have taken
    to local backups using NTbackup which finish in around 4 1/2 hours. I'd
    really like to fix this problem.

    Windows 2000 SP2
    Compaq DLT library 35/70 autoloader
    Backupexec 8.6 3878
    Exchange 5.5 SP4

    Any suggestions?
    My NIC on the backup server is set to 100/Full

  2. Re: Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store

    Hmm well it's simple to eliminate:

    Firware revision on SCSI card (also driver revision for SCSI / Win32) would
    be the 1st thing to work through...and yes you may wonder why (if this is
    the cause) this wouldn't be a problem with other hosts that are being backed
    up?

    Quote:

    "...Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I
    cannot seem to backup my Information store..."

    rogue.

    "Robin Morris" wrote in message

    > Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot
    > seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal
    > but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09

    mb/minute.
    > Obviously with a 36 GB information store, this is unbearable. I have

    taken
    > to local backups using NTbackup which finish in around 4 1/2 hours. I'd
    > really like to fix this problem.
    >
    > Windows 2000 SP2
    > Compaq DLT library 35/70 autoloader
    > Backupexec 8.6 3878
    > Exchange 5.5 SP4
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > My NIC on the backup server is set to 100/Full

  3. Re: Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store

    Are you backing up Exchange remotely? Are your NIC and Switch Port hard set
    to 100/Full? Did you install remote agent (if you're remotely backing up
    Exchange box)?

    > Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot
    > seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal
    > but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09

    mb/minute.
    > Obviously with a 36 GB information store, this is unbearable. I have

    taken
    > to local backups using NTbackup which finish in around 4 1/2 hours. I'd
    > really like to fix this problem.
    >
    > Windows 2000 SP2
    > Compaq DLT library 35/70 autoloader
    > Backupexec 8.6 3878
    > Exchange 5.5 SP4
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > My NIC on the backup server is set to 100/Full

  4. Re: Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store

    Hi Ron

    I am backing it up remotely. My NIC and Switch are both an 100/Full and
    the agent is working perfectly. I am not really having these problems with
    anything else but Exchange.

    Thanks

    "Ron" wrote:
    >Are you backing up Exchange remotely? Are your NIC and Switch Port hard

    set
    >to 100/Full? Did you install remote agent (if you're remotely backing up
    >Exchange box)?
    >
    >"Robin Morris" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot
    >> seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal
    >> but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09

    >mb/minute.
    >> Obviously with a 36 GB information store, this is unbearable. I have

    >taken
    >> to local backups using NTbackup which finish in around 4 1/2 hours. I'd
    >> really like to fix this problem.
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 SP2
    >> Compaq DLT library 35/70 autoloader
    >> Backupexec 8.6 3878
    >> Exchange 5.5 SP4
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> My NIC on the backup server is set to 100/Full

  5. Re: Slow Backups of Exchange Information Store

    I have updated both to the latest versions but that didn't seem to help.
    My file system backups are 300mb+ but the databases are very slow.

    "Rogue Sphere" wrote:
    >Hmm well it's simple to eliminate:
    >
    >Firware revision on SCSI card (also driver revision for SCSI / Win32) would
    >be the 1st thing to work through...and yes you may wonder why (if this is
    >the cause) this wouldn't be a problem with other hosts that are being backed
    >up?
    >
    >Quote:
    >
    >"...Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I
    >cannot seem to backup my Information store..."
    >
    >rogue.
    >

    >"Robin Morris" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ever since I rebuilt my backup server and added a new SCSI card, I cannot
    >> seem to backup my Information store. Everything else seems pretty normal
    >> but when it hits the information store the throughput goes down to .09

    >mb/minute.
    >> Obviously with a 36 GB information store, this is unbearable. I have

    >taken
    >> to local backups using NTbackup which finish in around 4 1/2 hours. I'd
    >> really like to fix this problem.
    >>
    >> Windows 2000 SP2
    >> Compaq DLT library 35/70 autoloader
    >> Backupexec 8.6 3878
    >> Exchange 5.5 SP4
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >> My NIC on the backup server is set to 100/Full

+ Reply to Thread