Overwrite protection - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Overwrite protection - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hope you can help me with this problem i have started to get. Ver8.6 Win 2000 Server The back up is sheduled to run overnight and on one tape. The inceremental back ups were set to "append to media, overwrite ...

  1. Overwrite protection

    Hope you can help me with this problem i have started to get.

    Ver8.6 Win 2000 Server

    The back up is sheduled to run overnight and on one tape.

    The inceremental back ups were set to "append to media, overwrite if no
    appendable media is available"

    The full backups were set to overwrite

    In Media/General overwrite protection period is set to none

    Append period is set is infinite - allow append

    When i come in in the morning the tape has been ejected and on the monitor
    it says loading. If i put the tape back in it ejects. The error message is
    "Media provided to continue the backup contains information from one or more
    sets created during this backup operation"

    Im not sure what that message means? If the tape was full surely it should
    start overwriting now that it cant append to it anymore?

    Any help will be much appreciated.

    Steve

  2. Re: Overwrite protection

    That message means that the tape has filled up. You need to provide a scratch/overwritable
    tape for BENT to complete the job.

    "Steve Hotchkis" wrote:
    >Hope you can help me with this problem i have started to get.
    >
    >Ver8.6 Win 2000 Server
    >
    >The back up is sheduled to run overnight and on one tape.
    >
    >The inceremental back ups were set to "append to media, overwrite if no
    >appendable media is available"
    >
    >The full backups were set to overwrite
    >
    >In Media/General overwrite protection period is set to none
    >
    >Append period is set is infinite - allow append
    >
    >When i come in in the morning the tape has been ejected and on the monitor
    >it says loading. If i put the tape back in it ejects. The error message

    is
    >"Media provided to continue the backup contains information from one or

    more
    >sets created during this backup operation"
    >
    >Im not sure what that message means? If the tape was full surely it should
    >start overwriting now that it cant append to it anymore?
    >
    >Any help will be much appreciated.
    >
    >Steve

  3. Re: Overwrite protection

    Thanks, but i assume the settings should allow the tape to be overwritten?
    do i have to erase the tape and start over? or how do i set it to overwrite
    the tapes automatically?

    Cheers

    Steve

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > That message means that the tape has filled up. You need to provide a

    scratch/overwritable
    > tape for BENT to complete the job.
    >
    > "Steve Hotchkis" wrote:
    > >Hope you can help me with this problem i have started to get.
    > >
    > >Ver8.6 Win 2000 Server
    > >
    > >The back up is sheduled to run overnight and on one tape.
    > >
    > >The inceremental back ups were set to "append to media, overwrite if no
    > >appendable media is available"
    > >
    > >The full backups were set to overwrite
    > >
    > >In Media/General overwrite protection period is set to none
    > >
    > >Append period is set is infinite - allow append
    > >
    > >When i come in in the morning the tape has been ejected and on the

    monitor
    > >it says loading. If i put the tape back in it ejects. The error message

    > is
    > >"Media provided to continue the backup contains information from one or

    > more
    > >sets created during this backup operation"
    > >
    > >Im not sure what that message means? If the tape was full surely it

    should
    > >start overwriting now that it cant append to it anymore?
    > >
    > >Any help will be much appreciated.
    > >
    > >Steve

  4. Re: Overwrite protection

    The tape that the job started on is full. Re-loading that tape won't
    help. You need to either specify compression if you are not already,
    or break the job into multiple smaller jobs, or get another tape drive,
    or get a library

    Steve Hotchkis wrote:

    >Thanks, but i assume the settings should allow the tape to be overwritten?
    >do i have to erase the tape and start over? or how do i set it to overwrite
    >the tapes automatically?
    >
    >Cheers
    >
    >Steve
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >
    >>That message means that the tape has filled up. You need to provide a
    >>

    >scratch/overwritable
    >
    >>tape for BENT to complete the job.
    >>
    >>"Steve Hotchkis" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hope you can help me with this problem i have started to get.
    >>>
    >>>Ver8.6 Win 2000 Server
    >>>
    >>>The back up is sheduled to run overnight and on one tape.
    >>>
    >>>The inceremental back ups were set to "append to media, overwrite if no
    >>>appendable media is available"
    >>>
    >>>The full backups were set to overwrite
    >>>
    >>>In Media/General overwrite protection period is set to none
    >>>
    >>>Append period is set is infinite - allow append
    >>>
    >>>When i come in in the morning the tape has been ejected and on the
    >>>

    >monitor
    >
    >>>it says loading. If i put the tape back in it ejects. The error message
    >>>

    >>is
    >>
    >>>"Media provided to continue the backup contains information from one or
    >>>

    >>more
    >>
    >>>sets created during this backup operation"
    >>>
    >>>Im not sure what that message means? If the tape was full surely it
    >>>

    >should
    >
    >>>start overwriting now that it cant append to it anymore?
    >>>
    >>>Any help will be much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Steve

  5. Re: Overwrite protection

    Was a resolution ever come to with this problem?? I am getting the exact same
    problem. MY tape pops out and the message says, "media overwrite potection
    is configured to overwrite media, see online help." My settings are the
    same as yours, and I can not get a tape to complete. However, when I use
    the wizard, and run an immediate backup using system defaults.. it goes through.
    I am backing up 19GB of info onto a 40GB (compressed) tape. The tape CANNOT
    be full! And these are all tapes that I have been using in the past and they
    have worked just fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >The tape that the job started on is full. Re-loading that tape won't
    >help. You need to either specify compression if you are not already,
    >or break the job into multiple smaller jobs, or get another tape drive,

    >or get a library
    >
    >Steve Hotchkis wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, but i assume the settings should allow the tape to be overwritten?
    >>do i have to erase the tape and start over? or how do i set it to overwrite
    >>the tapes automatically?
    >>
    >>Cheers
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>
    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>That message means that the tape has filled up. You need to provide a
    >>>

    >>scratch/overwritable
    >>
    >>>tape for BENT to complete the job.

    no

    >>monitor

    >>>is

    or

    >>>more

    >>should

  6. Re: Overwrite protection

    You don't give veryb much info about your setup -

    One job? Multiple jobs appended on one tape? Multiple days appended to
    one tape? Tape overwrite protection settings?(full/partial/none). Retention
    period on the media set being used.

    Have you tried dragging the tape volume to the scratch set when you mount
    it?

    "Kris" wrote:

    >Was a resolution ever come to with this problem?? I am getting the exact

    same
    >problem. MY tape pops out and the message says, "media overwrite potection
    >is configured to overwrite media, see online help." My settings are the
    >same as yours, and I can not get a tape to complete. However, when I use
    >the wizard, and run an immediate backup using system defaults.. it goes

    through.
    >I am backing up 19GB of info onto a 40GB (compressed) tape. The tape CANNOT
    >be full! And these are all tapes that I have been using in the past and

    they
    >have worked just fine. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>The tape that the job started on is full. Re-loading that tape won't
    >>help. You need to either specify compression if you are not already,

    >>or break the job into multiple smaller jobs, or get another tape drive,

    >>or get a library
    >>
    >>Steve Hotchkis wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks, but i assume the settings should allow the tape to be overwritten?
    >>>do i have to erase the tape and start over? or how do i set it to overwrite
    >>>the tapes automatically?
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>
    >>>Steve
    >>>
    >>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message