Unable to start services on BE server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to start services on BE server - Veritas Backup Exec ; All, I installed BENT 8.6 - worked fine for a while then changed acct / password to which the services log in (acct used needed password changing monthly - so set up new account with full rights). In the control ...

  1. Unable to start services on BE server

    All,

    I installed BENT 8.6 - worked fine for a while then changed acct / password
    to which the services log in (acct used needed password changing monthly
    - so set up new account with full rights).

    In the control panel / services I changed the logon account and password
    for each of the services.

    Restarted server and got logon failures. It is error 7013, "unknown username
    or bad password". Strange - so reset the user in user manager, re-entered
    password (and did same again in the services applet - lot of services let
    me say).

    Then I logged in on a machine using the new username and password - no problems.
    Re-copied over pvl.mdb (a google newsgroup user says that it is common for
    this file to be corrupted and to need replacing).
    Then tried to start just notification server - same error.

    Now I KNOW that the services (control panel / services) have the correct
    account and password (otherwise couldn't have logged in to a PC), caps lock
    is not on (tried it with it on at one point just in case).

    Don't really want to re-install server but may have to.

    Thanks in advance.

    Steve

    p.s. unusual as the request is could you copy any replies to both newsgroup
    and my email - I'm crap at checking back with the newsgroup (time constraints)
    but I also hate finding problems with no solutions in the newsgroup.

  2. Re: Unable to start services on BE server

    Stand-alone/Workgroup or Domain?

    if you are in a Domain, are you specifying the user in the format "Domain\user"
    or just "user"

    "Steve Mayes" wrote:

    >All,
    >
    >I installed BENT 8.6 - worked fine for a while then changed acct / password
    >to which the services log in (acct used needed password changing monthly
    >- so set up new account with full rights).
    >
    >In the control panel / services I changed the logon account and password
    >for each of the services.
    >
    >Restarted server and got logon failures. It is error 7013, "unknown username
    >or bad password". Strange - so reset the user in user manager, re-entered
    >password (and did same again in the services applet - lot of services let
    >me say).
    >
    >Then I logged in on a machine using the new username and password - no problems.
    >Re-copied over pvl.mdb (a google newsgroup user says that it is common for
    >this file to be corrupted and to need replacing).
    >Then tried to start just notification server - same error.
    >
    >Now I KNOW that the services (control panel / services) have the correct
    >account and password (otherwise couldn't have logged in to a PC), caps lock
    >is not on (tried it with it on at one point just in case).
    >
    >Don't really want to re-install server but may have to.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Steve
    >
    >p.s. unusual as the request is could you copy any replies to both newsgroup
    >and my email - I'm crap at checking back with the newsgroup (time constraints)
    >but I also hate finding problems with no solutions in the newsgroup.

  3. Re: Unable to start services on BE server

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Stand-alone/Workgroup or Domain?
    >
    >if you are in a Domain, are you specifying the user in the format "Domain\user"
    >or just "user"
    >
    >"Steve Mayes" wrote:
    >>
    >>All,
    >>
    >>I installed BENT 8.6 - worked fine for a while then changed acct / password
    >>to which the services log in (acct used needed password changing monthly
    >>- so set up new account with full rights).
    >>
    >>In the control panel / services I changed the logon account and password
    >>for each of the services.
    >>
    >>Restarted server and got logon failures. It is error 7013, "unknown username
    >>or bad password". Strange - so reset the user in user manager, re-entered
    >>password (and did same again in the services applet - lot of services let
    >>me say).
    >>
    >>Then I logged in on a machine using the new username and password - no

    problems.
    >>Re-copied over pvl.mdb (a google newsgroup user says that it is common

    for
    >>this file to be corrupted and to need replacing).
    >>Then tried to start just notification server - same error.
    >>
    >>Now I KNOW that the services (control panel / services) have the correct
    >>account and password (otherwise couldn't have logged in to a PC), caps

    lock
    >>is not on (tried it with it on at one point just in case).
    >>
    >>Don't really want to re-install server but may have to.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>
    >>p.s. unusual as the request is could you copy any replies to both newsgroup
    >>and my email - I'm crap at checking back with the newsgroup (time constraints)
    >>but I also hate finding problems with no solutions in the newsgroup.

    Ken,

    Thanks for the prompt response. I was using the correct format, i.e. domain\user
    for a domain account. This was not the error.

    My error was so bl**dy obvious, and such a newbie error that I'm almost embarrassed
    to mention it (especially since I'm not a newbie). However in the hopes that
    my gaffe will save others hours of hair-tearing, here goes:

    My PDC (which I inherited) defaults to U.S. keyboard. I am in the UK and
    the Veritas server (which I built) defaults to UK keyboard (doh!). In normal
    daily running circumstances this doesn't actually matter. And in creating
    users this wasn't obvious as we have the same alphabet BUT, where accounts
    have strong passwords (i.e. they include symbols), these are mapped slightly
    differently on these two keyboards.

    Nevertheless thank you for the response Ken.

+ Reply to Thread