Mailbox Backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Mailbox Backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hey there quick question regarding Mailbox backups: Windows 2000 Server SP2 Exchange Agent /w BENT 8.6.3808 All store backups and mailbox backups are working fine but I cannot determine (explicitly) whether or not mailbox backups are always "Full"? I know ...

  1. Mailbox Backups

    Hey there quick question regarding Mailbox backups:

    Windows 2000 Server SP2
    Exchange Agent /w BENT 8.6.3808

    All store backups and mailbox backups are working fine but I cannot
    determine (explicitly) whether or not mailbox backups are always "Full"? I
    know that all store backups are full but I would think that mailbox backups
    should be incremental?

    Any information you have would be nice otherwise it's time for a dedicated
    media set and more $$$ on media...thanks.

  2. Re: Mailbox Backups

    There is no incremental backup for mail box

    cheers
    "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > Hey there quick question regarding Mailbox backups:
    >
    > Windows 2000 Server SP2
    > Exchange Agent /w BENT 8.6.3808
    >
    > All store backups and mailbox backups are working fine but I cannot
    > determine (explicitly) whether or not mailbox backups are always "Full"? I
    > know that all store backups are full but I would think that mailbox

    backups
    > should be incremental?
    >
    > Any information you have would be nice otherwise it's time for a dedicated
    > media set and more $$$ on media...thanks.

  3. Re: Mailbox Backups

    thanks man i thought so...damn it would be nice as now to make it worthwhile
    (ok yeah it is cool but ya know) i am going to run them every 2 hours...

    anyways doh.

    thanks for the confirm.

    m.
    "patrick" wrote in message news:3d4ad826@hronntp01....
    > There is no incremental backup for mail box
    >
    > cheers
    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > Hey there quick question regarding Mailbox backups:
    > >
    > > Windows 2000 Server SP2
    > > Exchange Agent /w BENT 8.6.3808
    > >
    > > All store backups and mailbox backups are working fine but I cannot
    > > determine (explicitly) whether or not mailbox backups are always "Full"?

    > > know that all store backups are full but I would think that mailbox

    > backups
    > > should be incremental?
    > >
    > > Any information you have would be nice otherwise it's time for a

    dedicated
    > > media set and more $$$ on media...thanks.

  4. Re: Mailbox Backups

    Dear Orb-Of-Questionable-Reputation,

    It sounds like you are trying to CYA on mailbox backups by running backups
    every 2 hours.... been burned lately? Rather than backing them up to tape,
    I'd recommend this:

    Download exmerge (on Resource Kit, of do a google search). It will export
    you mailboxes. I have some disk space on another server, so I mapped a drive
    on the exchange server to the "exmerge-data" folder then configured exmerge
    to backup all the mailboxes, and overwrite the previous backup. I ran it
    manually a few times (17gb took a couple hours) then when I was happy I set
    it up using a "scheduled-task". If you want to, you can then backup the "exmerge-data"
    folder to tape once daily, but you still would have an "online" backup to
    disk every 2 hrs.

    "Rogue Sphere" wrote:
    >thanks man i thought so...damn it would be nice as now to make it worthwhile
    >(ok yeah it is cool but ya know) i am going to run them every 2 hours...
    >
    >anyways doh.
    >
    >thanks for the confirm.
    >
    >m.
    >"patrick" wrote in message news:3d4ad826@hronntp01....
    >> There is no incremental backup for mail box
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    >> > Hey there quick question regarding Mailbox backups:
    >> >
    >> > Windows 2000 Server SP2
    >> > Exchange Agent /w BENT 8.6.3808
    >> >
    >> > All store backups and mailbox backups are working fine but I cannot
    >> > determine (explicitly) whether or not mailbox backups are always "Full"?

    >> > know that all store backups are full but I would think that mailbox

    >> backups
    >> > should be incremental?
    >> >
    >> > Any information you have would be nice otherwise it's time for a

    >dedicated
    >> > media set and more $$$ on media...thanks.

  5. Re: Mailbox Backups

    Glenn,

    No man not really burned per-say but I would like to have a "full set" at
    the end of the evening and then incrementals throughout the following day,
    everyday. Oh well got plenty of media to spare...nice solution though and I
    may indeed check it out!

    rogue.

    "glenn" wrote in message

    > Dear Orb-Of-Questionable-Reputation,
    >
    > It sounds like you are trying to CYA on mailbox backups by running backups
    > every 2 hours.... been burned lately? Rather than backing them up to

    tape,
    > I'd recommend this:
    >
    > Download exmerge (on Resource Kit, of do a google search). It will export
    > you mailboxes. I have some disk space on another server, so I mapped a

    drive
    > on the exchange server to the "exmerge-data" folder then configured

    exmerge
    > to backup all the mailboxes, and overwrite the previous backup. I ran it
    > manually a few times (17gb took a couple hours) then when I was happy I

    set
    > it up using a "scheduled-task". If you want to, you can then backup the

    "exmerge-data"
    > folder to tape once daily, but you still would have an "online" backup to
    > disk every 2 hrs.
    >
    > "Rogue Sphere" wrote:
    > >thanks man i thought so...damn it would be nice as now to make it

    worthwhile
    > >(ok yeah it is cool but ya know) i am going to run them every 2 hours...
    > >
    > >anyways doh.
    > >
    > >thanks for the confirm.
    > >
    > >m.
    > >"patrick" wrote in message news:3d4ad826@hronntp01....
    > >> There is no incremental backup for mail box
    > >>
    > >> cheers
    > >> "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message

    "Full"?
    > >> backups

    > >dedicated

  6. Re: Mailbox Backups

    Why not just enable the "deleted item retention" feature of Exchange? That
    way if a user accidentally deletes an item they can recover it on their own.
    I do this instead of brick-level backups of Exchange. I then do a tape
    backup of the Information Store each night.

    -Rod

  7. Re: Mailbox Backups

    Cool... I didn't know about ExMerge! This will definitely come in handy!!

    -Rod

+ Reply to Thread