Automating tapes to become scratch media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Automating tapes to become scratch media - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does anyone know of a way that I can make a tape go into the scratch media pool once it is done backing up, instead of Media Pool 1? Or making a media pool that everything in it is scratch ...

  1. Automating tapes to become scratch media

    Does anyone know of a way that I can make a tape go into the scratch media
    pool once it is done backing up, instead of Media Pool 1? Or making a media
    pool that everything in it is scratch media?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Automating tapes to become scratch media

    I must be missing something here.

    Why on earth would you want to place a tape that contains a just completed
    backup into scratch status?

    "Andrew" wrote:

    >Does anyone know of a way that I can make a tape go into the scratch media
    >pool once it is done backing up, instead of Media Pool 1? Or making a media
    >pool that everything in it is scratch media?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Automating tapes to become scratch media

    I know it sounds stupid but for some reason the only way it will consistently
    write over tapes is if its scratch media. I have the overwrite protection
    set to none and the job is set to overwrite, but it randomly asks me to put
    in overwritable media. It's happens on different days every week. I've formatted
    all the tapes and started a new media set a few times. I'm not sure what
    I'm missing

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >I must be missing something here.
    >
    >Why on earth would you want to place a tape that contains a just completed
    >backup into scratch status?
    >

    >"Andrew" wrote:
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a way that I can make a tape go into the scratch media
    >>pool once it is done backing up, instead of Media Pool 1? Or making a media
    >>pool that everything in it is scratch media?
    >>
    >>Thanks

  4. Re: Automating tapes to become scratch media

    double check the retention period of your media set(s) and verify that tapes
    will have expired when they are due to be re-used. I generally use 6 days
    for dailies, 27 for weeklies, and keep my monthlies archived forever.

    "andrew" wrote:

    >I know it sounds stupid but for some reason the only way it will consistently
    >write over tapes is if its scratch media. I have the overwrite protection
    >set to none and the job is set to overwrite, but it randomly asks me to

    put
    >in overwritable media. It's happens on different days every week. I've formatted
    >all the tapes and started a new media set a few times. I'm not sure what
    >I'm missing
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>I must be missing something here.
    >>
    >>Why on earth would you want to place a tape that contains a just completed
    >>backup into scratch status?
    >>

    >>"Andrew" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone know of a way that I can make a tape go into the scratch media
    >>>pool once it is done backing up, instead of Media Pool 1? Or making a

    media
    >>>pool that everything in it is scratch media?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

+ Reply to Thread