Remote Agent Not Recognized - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent Not Recognized - Veritas Backup Exec ; BE SERVER INFO: ~~Win2K Server SP2 ~~BE 8.50 Rev. 3572 ~~~Server Edition license ~~~Unix Agent license ~~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K license REMOTE SERVER INFO: ~~Win2K Server SP2 ~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K Here are my ...

  1. Remote Agent Not Recognized

    BE SERVER INFO:
    ~~Win2K Server SP2

    ~~BE 8.50 Rev. 3572
    ~~~Server Edition license
    ~~~Unix Agent license
    ~~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K license

    REMOTE SERVER INFO:
    ~~Win2K Server SP2
    ~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K

    Here are my issues that I need help fixing:
    1) My BE Server isn't recognizing the remote agent.
    2) There is no Backup Exec 8.x Remote service in my list of services.

    Because of these issues I constantly get the same message:
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup.

    This leads to a job FAILURE when in fact it hasn't failed. I am not backing
    up the remote server's system state. I only want to backup the selected
    folders.

    What do I need to do to resolve this issue so that I the BE server will
    recognize the remote agent and not give me this FAILURE message?

  2. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    First, Unless the Agent and service are loaded properly you will continue
    to get the error message. But I guess you know that. Second, Are you loading/Installing
    the remote agent from the server where BE 8.5 Server is loaded?
    Third, If you are, you should get a error message or something telling you
    the agent didnt load properly at the BE Server.

    Can you help out with a little more info?

    "Casey" wrote:
    >BE SERVER INFO:
    >~~Win2K Server SP2
    >
    >~~BE 8.50 Rev. 3572
    >~~~Server Edition license
    >~~~Unix Agent license
    >~~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K license
    >
    >REMOTE SERVER INFO:
    >~~Win2K Server SP2
    >~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K
    >
    >Here are my issues that I need help fixing:
    >1) My BE Server isn't recognizing the remote agent.
    >2) There is no Backup Exec 8.x Remote service in my list of services.
    >
    >Because of these issues I constantly get the same message:
    >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup.
    >
    >This leads to a job FAILURE when in fact it hasn't failed. I am not backing
    >up the remote server's system state. I only want to backup the selected
    >folders.
    >
    >What do I need to do to resolve this issue so that I the BE server will
    >recognize the remote agent and not give me this FAILURE message?

  3. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed on
    \\servername" after you install it?

    "Casey" wrote:
    >> First, Unless the Agent and service are loaded properly you will continue
    >> to get the error message. But I guess you know that.

    >Yep, knew that
    >
    >>Second, Are you loading/Installing
    >> the remote agent from the server where BE 8.5 Server is loaded?

    >Yes
    >
    >-I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    >-Choosing to Setup Software
    >-Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    >-I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    >which computer i want to add it to.
    >-Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote server
    >w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    >machine.
    >
    >> Third, If you are, you should get a error message or something telling

    you
    >> the agent didnt load properly at the BE Server.

    >I'm not getting that error message.
    >
    >> Can you help out with a little more info?

    >> "Casey" wrote:
    >> >BE SERVER INFO:
    >> >~~Win2K Server SP2
    >> >
    >> >~~BE 8.50 Rev. 3572
    >> >~~~Server Edition license
    >> >~~~Unix Agent license
    >> >~~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K license
    >> >
    >> >REMOTE SERVER INFO:
    >> >~~Win2K Server SP2
    >> >~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K
    >> >
    >> >Here are my issues that I need help fixing:
    >> >1) My BE Server isn't recognizing the remote agent.
    >> >2) There is no Backup Exec 8.x Remote service in my list of services.
    >> >
    >> >Because of these issues I constantly get the same message:
    >> >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard

    >backup.
    >> >
    >> >This leads to a job FAILURE when in fact it hasn't failed. I am not

    >backing
    >> >up the remote server's system state. I only want to backup the selected
    >> >folders.
    >> >
    >> >What do I need to do to resolve this issue so that I the BE server will
    >> >recognize the remote agent and not give me this FAILURE message?

  4. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    > First, Unless the Agent and service are loaded properly you will continue
    > to get the error message. But I guess you know that.

    Yep, knew that

    >Second, Are you loading/Installing
    > the remote agent from the server where BE 8.5 Server is loaded?

    Yes

    -I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    -Choosing to Setup Software
    -Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    -I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    which computer i want to add it to.
    -Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote server
    w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    machine.

    > Third, If you are, you should get a error message or something telling you
    > the agent didnt load properly at the BE Server.

    I'm not getting that error message.

    > Can you help out with a little more info?

    > "Casey" wrote:
    > >BE SERVER INFO:
    > >~~Win2K Server SP2
    > >
    > >~~BE 8.50 Rev. 3572
    > >~~~Server Edition license
    > >~~~Unix Agent license
    > >~~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K license
    > >
    > >REMOTE SERVER INFO:
    > >~~Win2K Server SP2
    > >~~Remote Agent for Windows NT & Win2K
    > >
    > >Here are my issues that I need help fixing:
    > >1) My BE Server isn't recognizing the remote agent.
    > >2) There is no Backup Exec 8.x Remote service in my list of services.
    > >
    > >Because of these issues I constantly get the same message:
    > >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard

    backup.

    > >This leads to a job FAILURE when in fact it hasn't failed. I am not

    backing
    > >up the remote server's system state. I only want to backup the selected
    > >folders.
    > >
    > >What do I need to do to resolve this issue so that I the BE server will
    > >recognize the remote agent and not give me this FAILURE message?

  5. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Actually no!

    I just did the following:
    1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    2) Rebooted remote server
    3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    4) Rebooted my BE server
    5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server. When I
    reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the Remote
    Agent on.
    6) I rebooted my BE server
    7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already in
    place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I wanted
    to install the Remote Agent on.

    Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?

    HELP!!

    "Ray" wrote in message news:3d484dc8$1@hronntp01....

    > I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed on
    > \\servername" after you install it?
    >

    > "Casey" wrote:
    > >> First, Unless the Agent and service are loaded properly you will

    continue
    > >> to get the error message. But I guess you know that.

    > >Yep, knew that
    > >
    > >>Second, Are you loading/Installing
    > >> the remote agent from the server where BE 8.5 Server is loaded?

    > >Yes
    > >
    > >-I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    > >-Choosing to Setup Software
    > >-Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    > >-I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    > >which computer i want to add it to.
    > >-Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote

    server
    > >w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    > >machine.
    > >
    > >> Third, If you are, you should get a error message or something telling

    > you
    > >> the agent didnt load properly at the BE Server.

    > >I'm not getting that error message.
    > >
    > >> Can you help out with a little more info?

    > >backup.

    > >backing

    selected

    will

  6. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    You could always share out the cd or expanded download,

    Then locally on the remote server, drill down to ..\install\i386\ntaa
    and run setupaa.cmd.

    As long as the Remote Agent serial is installed on the BackupExec server
    and the Remote Agent service is running on the Remote computer, it
    should connect

    Casey wrote:

    >Actually no!
    >
    >I just did the following:
    >1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    >2) Rebooted remote server
    >3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    >4) Rebooted my BE server
    >5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server. When I
    >reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the Remote
    >Agent on.
    >6) I rebooted my BE server
    >7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already in
    >place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I wanted
    >to install the Remote Agent on.
    >
    >Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?
    >
    >HELP!!
    >

    >"Ray" wrote in message news:3d484dc8$1@hronntp01....
    >
    >>I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed on
    >>\\servername" after you install it?

    >continue

    >>>Yep, knew that

    >>>Yes
    >>>
    >>>-I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    >>>-Choosing to Setup Software
    >>>-Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    >>>-I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    >>>which computer i want to add it to.
    >>>-Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote
    >>>

    >server
    >
    >>>w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    >>>machine.

    >>you

    >>>I'm not getting that error message.

    >>>backup.

    >>>backing

    >selected

    >will

  7. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Casey,

    I dont think we have to go as far as removing the BE software. Let me ask
    you this, can you install the remote agent on any of your other servers correctly?

    "Casey" wrote:
    >Actually no!
    >
    >I just did the following:
    >1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    >2) Rebooted remote server
    >3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    >4) Rebooted my BE server
    >5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server. When

    >reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the Remote
    >Agent on.
    >6) I rebooted my BE server
    >7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already in
    >place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I wanted
    >to install the Remote Agent on.
    >
    >Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?
    >
    >HELP!!
    >

    >"Ray" wrote in message news:3d484dc8$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed

    on
    >> \\servername" after you install it?

    >continue
    >> >Yep, knew that

    >> >Yes
    >> >
    >> >-I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    >> >-Choosing to Setup Software
    >> >-Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    >> >-I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    >> >which computer i want to add it to.
    >> >-Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote

    >server
    >> >w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    >> >machine.

    >> you
    >> >I'm not getting that error message.

    >> >backup.

    >> >backing

    >selected

    >will

  8. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Casey--- I dont think my last response posted. Anyway, I do not feel that
    removing and re-installing BE will solve this issue. Will the remote agent
    load on any of your other servers? Have you tried it lately?

    "Casey" wrote:
    >Actually no!
    >
    >I just did the following:
    >1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    >2) Rebooted remote server
    >3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    >4) Rebooted my BE server
    >5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server. When

    >reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the Remote
    >Agent on.
    >6) I rebooted my BE server
    >7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already in
    >place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I wanted
    >to install the Remote Agent on.
    >
    >Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?
    >
    >HELP!!
    >

    >"Ray" wrote in message news:3d484dc8$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed

    on
    >> \\servername" after you install it?

    >continue
    >> >Yep, knew that

    >> >Yes
    >> >
    >> >-I'm going thru the setup.exe from the CD on my BE server.
    >> >-Choosing to Setup Software
    >> >-Choosing Install Backup Exec options on remote computers.
    >> >-I then put in my remote agent ser. and go thru the process of choosing
    >> >which computer i want to add it to.
    >> >-Once i have done that it should let me back stuff up on that remote

    >server
    >> >w/out giving me the warning about how there is no remote agent on that
    >> >machine.

    >> you
    >> >I'm not getting that error message.

    >> >backup.

    >> >backing

    >selected

    >will

  9. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    I haven't tried to load it on any of the other machines on my network.

    I do know that I can't install them like I'm supposed to. I may need to
    share out the CD and install them from the actual machine. I am trying that
    tonight and I will let you know of my progress.

    Thanks for all of your help so far. I have GOT to get this working soon.

    BTW, since uninstalling the remote agent I can't even get any kind of backup
    on my remote server. I'm operating without a net, and that's just not cool.

    Thanks,
    CC

    "Ray" wrote in message news:3d496d7d$1@hronntp01....

    > Casey--- I dont think my last response posted. Anyway, I do not feel that
    > removing and re-installing BE will solve this issue. Will the remote agent
    > load on any of your other servers? Have you tried it lately?
    >
    > "Casey" wrote:
    > >Actually no!
    > >
    > >I just did the following:
    > >1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    > >2) Rebooted remote server
    > >3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    > >4) Rebooted my BE server
    > >5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server.

    When
    > >reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the Remote
    > >Agent on.
    > >6) I rebooted my BE server
    > >7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already in
    > >place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I

    wanted
    > >to install the Remote Agent on.
    > >
    > >Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?
    > >
    > >HELP!!
    > >

    > >"Ray" wrote in message news:3d484dc8$1@hronntp01....
    > >>
    > >> I see. Are you getting the message " Remote Agent sucessfully installed

    > on
    > >> \\servername" after you install it?

    > >continue

    choosing

    > >server

    telling
    > >> you

    services.

    not

    > >selected

    > >will

  10. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Ok,
    Nothing is working. I can't install on any other machines. The method
    that Ken Putnam described didn't work either.

    what do I do??

    "Casey" wrote in message news:3d49a97d$1@hronntp01....
    > I haven't tried to load it on any of the other machines on my network.
    >
    > I do know that I can't install them like I'm supposed to. I may need to
    > share out the CD and install them from the actual machine. I am trying

    that
    > tonight and I will let you know of my progress.
    >
    > Thanks for all of your help so far. I have GOT to get this working soon.
    >
    > BTW, since uninstalling the remote agent I can't even get any kind of

    backup
    > on my remote server. I'm operating without a net, and that's just not

    cool.

    > Thanks,
    > CC
    >

    > "Ray" wrote in message news:3d496d7d$1@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > Casey--- I dont think my last response posted. Anyway, I do not feel

    that
    > > removing and re-installing BE will solve this issue. Will the remote

    agent
    > > load on any of your other servers? Have you tried it lately?
    > >
    > > "Casey" wrote:
    > > >Actually no!
    > > >
    > > >I just did the following:
    > > >1) Removed the remote agent from my remote server
    > > >2) Rebooted remote server
    > > >3) Removed Remote Agent license from my BE server
    > > >4) Rebooted my BE server
    > > >5) Attempted to re-install the Remote Agent license on my BE server.

    > When
    > > >reinstalled it it did not ask me what computer I wanted to put the

    Remote
    > > >Agent on.
    > > >6) I rebooted my BE server
    > > >7) Re-ran the setup again w/ the Remote Agent license that is already

    in
    > > >place. When running that it, again, did not ask me what computer I

    > wanted
    > > >to install the Remote Agent on.
    > > >
    > > >Do I need to totally uninstall BE on my BE server and reinstall it?
    > > >
    > > >HELP!!

    installed
    > > on

    > > >continue

    > choosing
    > > >server

    that

    > telling

    > services.

    standard

    > not
    > > >selected

    server
    > > >will

  11. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Didn't work how? The service wouldn't install? The service won't start?

    Casey wrote:

    >Ok,
    > Nothing is working. I can't install on any other machines. The method
    >that Ken Putnam described didn't work either.
    >
    >what do I do??
    >

    >"Casey" wrote in message news:3d49a97d$1@hronntp01....
    >
    >>I haven't tried to load it on any of the other machines on my network.
    >>
    >>I do know that I can't install them like I'm supposed to. I may need to
    >>share out the CD and install them from the actual machine. I am trying
    >>

    >that
    >
    >>tonight and I will let you know of my progress.
    >>
    >>Thanks for all of your help so far. I have GOT to get this working soon.
    >>
    >>BTW, since uninstalling the remote agent I can't even get any kind of
    >>

    >backup
    >
    >>on my remote server. I'm operating without a net, and that's just not
    >>

    >cool.
    >
    >>Thanks,
    >>CC
    >>

    >>"Ray" wrote in message news:3d496d7d$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >>>Casey--- I dont think my last response posted. Anyway, I do not feel
    >>>

    >that
    >
    >>>removing and re-installing BE will solve this issue. Will the remote
    >>>

    >agent
    >
    >>>load on any of your other servers? Have you tried it lately?

    >>When

    >Remote

    >in

    >>wanted

    >installed
    >
    >>>on

    >>choosing

    >that

    >>telling

    >>services.

    >standard

    >>not

    >server

  12. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    It appears as though the software installed on the remote machine, but I do
    not have that service in my list of services. If I don't see it in the list
    I can't stop/start/restart the service. So I'm guessing that the actual
    "Service" didn't install.

    When choosing what to backup I am able to select the system state without
    any warnings. But when I run the backup I get the following error in the
    log:

    *************
    **Begin Snip***
    *************
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    System State requires Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 for backup and
    restore
    Job ended: Friday, August 02, 2002 at 9:09:45 AM
    Job completion status: Failed
    *************
    **End Snip****
    *************

    Also if I try to backup any files at all on the remote machine I get the
    following:

    *************
    **Begin Snip***
    *************
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    WARNING: Backup servers cannot completely protect remote
    Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.

    Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.

    Media Name: "Media created 7/6/2002 02:00:08 AM"
    Backup of "\\USERS2\cchambliss$ "
    Backup set #6 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup 0060"
    Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 8/2/2002 at 9:05:55 AM.

    Backup completed on 8/2/2002 at 9:06:06 AM.
    Backed up 276 files in 87 directories.
    Processed 1,621,220 bytes in 11 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 8.4 MB/min
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    System State requires Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 for backup and
    restore
    Job ended: Friday, August 02, 2002 at 9:06:06 AM

    > >>I haven't tried to load it on any of the other machines on my network.
    > >>
    > >>I do know that I can't install them like I'm supposed to. I may need to
    > >>share out the CD and install them from the actual machine. I am trying
    > >>

    > >that
    > >
    > >>tonight and I will let you know of my progress.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for all of your help so far. I have GOT to get this working

    soon.

    > >>BTW, since uninstalling the remote agent I can't even get any kind of
    > >>

    > >backup
    > >
    > >>on my remote server. I'm operating without a net, and that's just not
    > >>

    > >cool.
    > >
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>CC

    > >that

    > >agent

    > >>When

    > >Remote

    > >in

    > >>wanted

    > >installed

    > >>choosing

    > >that

    > >>telling

    > >>services.

    > >standard

    > >>not

    > >server

  13. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    Casey--I have a lot of experince with Veritas but you almost have me stumped.
    I have Veritas Gold support so if nothing else works for you this weekend
    I would be glad to get you on the line and Veritas on the other and find
    out whats going on.

    Ray

    "Casey" wrote:
    >Ok,
    > Nothing is working. I can't install on any other machines. The method
    >that Ken Putnam described didn't work either.
    >
    >what do I do??
    >

    >"Casey" wrote in message news:3d49a97d$1@hronntp01....
    >> I haven't tried to load it on any of the other machines on my network.
    >>
    >> I do know that I can't install them like I'm supposed to. I may need

    >> share out the CD and install them from the actual machine. I am trying

    >that
    >> tonight and I will let you know of my progress.
    >>
    >> Thanks for all of your help so far. I have GOT to get this working soon.
    >>
    >> BTW, since uninstalling the remote agent I can't even get any kind of

    >backup
    >> on my remote server. I'm operating without a net, and that's just not

    >cool.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> CC
    >>

    >> "Ray" wrote in message news:3d496d7d$1@hronntp01....
    >> >
    >> > Casey--- I dont think my last response posted. Anyway, I do not feel

    >that
    >> > removing and re-installing BE will solve this issue. Will the remote

    >agent
    >> > load on any of your other servers? Have you tried it lately?

    >> When

    >Remote

    >in

    >> wanted

    >installed
    >> > on

    >> choosing

    >that

    >> telling

    >> services.

    >standard

    am
    >> not

    >server

  14. Re: Remote Agent Not Recognized

    One last thing to try then.

    Copy the \NTAA folder to the remote machine,. open a command prompt and
    run SETUPAA.CMD locally from the command prompt.

    If that doesn't work, I'm out of suggestions

    (Did the previous install at least create the BEREMOTE directory on the
    remote machines?

+ Reply to Thread