How to change allocated date? Erased tape in meda pool IS overwrite protected - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on How to change allocated date? Erased tape in meda pool IS overwrite protected - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello all, How can you change the allocation date on a meda? This one seems silly. I have some media pools set up with overwrite protection periods set. The usual end of month, quarter, year, weekly full, and incremental. Initially ...

  1. How to change allocated date? Erased tape in meda pool IS overwrite protected

    Hello all,

    How can you change the allocation date on a meda?

    This one seems silly. I have some media pools set up with overwrite
    protection periods set. The usual end of month, quarter, year, weekly full,
    and incremental. Initially as the overwrite protection expired I was moving
    tapes into the scratch pool and they were randomly put back into pools as
    backup jobs grabbed them. I was short on tapes so I couldn't put sets of
    tapes into pools and leave them.

    I now have more tapes. Used tapes from another environment and new ones on
    the way. Enough tapes that I can start organizing the pools to have
    sequences of tapes in them. There would be enough tapes in each pool to
    have tapes expiring and be available for use without my intervention. My
    problem is moving the tapes between pools and erasing the used tapes. When
    moving tapes to a pool with a longer overwrite protection period the tape is
    no longer available. With the used tapes erasing them sets the allocation
    date, and then the overwrite protection kicks in. For instance, my monthly
    pools has an overwrite protection period of 1 year. Put a tape in the pool,
    erase it, and now it's overwrite protected for a year. It's completely
    blank, but it's protected! :-)

    Any ideas. This is really annoying me.

    TIA,

    Chris

    btw, Veritas, "scratch" should be a state, not a pool. And you should be
    able to change any tapes state to scratch, regardless of it's pool.

  2. Re: How to change allocated date? Erased tape in meda pool IS overwrite protected

    Annoying, yes, but that's the way BENT is written. When you place a tape
    in a media set, it immediately takes on all properites (including retention)
    of that media set.

    Once they all get allocated, and if the Overwrite Protection os set to "Use
    overwritable tapes in the target media set before scratch) it'll be OK.

    Until then, about all you can do is place all your tapes in scratch status,
    let BENT grab them and place them in media sets as it goes.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Hello all,
    >
    >How can you change the allocation date on a meda?
    >
    >This one seems silly. I have some media pools set up with overwrite
    >protection periods set. The usual end of month, quarter, year, weekly full,
    >and incremental. Initially as the overwrite protection expired I was moving
    >tapes into the scratch pool and they were randomly put back into pools as
    >backup jobs grabbed them. I was short on tapes so I couldn't put sets of
    >tapes into pools and leave them.
    >
    >I now have more tapes. Used tapes from another environment and new ones

    on
    >the way. Enough tapes that I can start organizing the pools to have
    >sequences of tapes in them. There would be enough tapes in each pool to
    >have tapes expiring and be available for use without my intervention. My
    >problem is moving the tapes between pools and erasing the used tapes. When
    >moving tapes to a pool with a longer overwrite protection period the tape

    is
    >no longer available. With the used tapes erasing them sets the allocation
    >date, and then the overwrite protection kicks in. For instance, my monthly
    >pools has an overwrite protection period of 1 year. Put a tape in the pool,
    >erase it, and now it's overwrite protected for a year. It's completely
    >blank, but it's protected! :-)
    >
    >Any ideas. This is really annoying me.
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >btw, Veritas, "scratch" should be a state, not a pool. And you should be
    >able to change any tapes state to scratch, regardless of it's pool.

  3. Re: How to change allocated date? Erased tape in meda pool IS overwrite protected

    Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.

    I saw the post about the enhancements web site so I took the time to submit
    this one. Here's hoping.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > Annoying, yes, but that's the way BENT is written. When you place a tape
    > in a media set, it immediately takes on all properites (including

    retention)
    > of that media set.
    >
    > Once they all get allocated, and if the Overwrite Protection os set to

    "Use
    > overwritable tapes in the target media set before scratch) it'll be OK.
    >
    > Until then, about all you can do is place all your tapes in scratch

    status,
    > let BENT grab them and place them in media sets as it goes.
    >

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >Hello all,
    > >
    > >How can you change the allocation date on a meda?
    > >
    > >This one seems silly. I have some media pools set up with overwrite
    > >protection periods set. The usual end of month, quarter, year, weekly

    full,
    > >and incremental. Initially as the overwrite protection expired I was

    moving
    > >tapes into the scratch pool and they were randomly put back into pools as
    > >backup jobs grabbed them. I was short on tapes so I couldn't put sets of
    > >tapes into pools and leave them.
    > >
    > >I now have more tapes. Used tapes from another environment and new ones

    > on
    > >the way. Enough tapes that I can start organizing the pools to have
    > >sequences of tapes in them. There would be enough tapes in each pool to
    > >have tapes expiring and be available for use without my intervention. My
    > >problem is moving the tapes between pools and erasing the used tapes.

    When
    > >moving tapes to a pool with a longer overwrite protection period the tape

    > is
    > >no longer available. With the used tapes erasing them sets the

    allocation
    > >date, and then the overwrite protection kicks in. For instance, my

    monthly
    > >pools has an overwrite protection period of 1 year. Put a tape in the

    pool,
    > >erase it, and now it's overwrite protected for a year. It's completely
    > >blank, but it's protected! :-)
    > >
    > >Any ideas. This is really annoying me.
    > >
    > >TIA,
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > >btw, Veritas, "scratch" should be a state, not a pool. And you should be
    > >able to change any tapes state to scratch, regardless of it's pool.

+ Reply to Thread