Duplicate Tape headers - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Duplicate Tape headers - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have two SDLT 110/220 tapes that I used for two different backup jobs that somehow have the same tape header on the media or something. When I labeled one tape, it changed the name of the other tape as ...

  1. Duplicate Tape headers

    I have two SDLT 110/220 tapes that I used for two different backup jobs that
    somehow have the same tape header on the media or something. When I labeled
    one tape, it changed the name of the other tape as well. No matter how many
    times I inventory the second tape, it comes up with the new name even though
    I never changed it on that tape. When I put the second tape in a different
    backup server, it comes up with it's original name. Is there a way I can
    regenerate the database that references the tape names/catalogs to the tape
    header info?

  2. Re: Duplicate Tape headers

    "Jason Reynolds" wrote:

    >I have two SDLT 110/220 tapes that I used for two different backup jobs

    that
    >somehow have the same tape header on the media or something. When I labeled
    >one tape, it changed the name of the other tape as well. No matter how

    many
    >times I inventory the second tape, it comes up with the new name even though
    >I never changed it on that tape. When I put the second tape in a different
    >backup server, it comes up with it's original name. Is there a way I can
    >regenerate the database that references the tape names/catalogs to the tape
    >header info?

    The internal tape numbers in the headers are what Backup Exec really uses
    for its processing and cataloguing.
    Somehow you possibly did a raw copy of one tape to another and now BE thinks
    they are the same tape. I found out that Veritas
    Raid Director will do this. Backup Exec is not able to do this.
    You are out of luck unless you can find a product that will
    rewrite the manufacturers portion of the header in the correct format.

    Maybe Fuji or whoever produced the tape will feel sorry for you
    and replace it. They are not supposed to I think, ever create tapes with
    the same header serial number.

    I you really want to test if it is the BE database move one of the tapes
    to the retired media set, right click and delete it.
    This will take the tape out of the BE system. What will likely happen is
    that both tapes will be removed and you will have to decide which to inventory
    again and catalogue.

    Save the extra tape for when you might need it for copying or in a different
    BE server.

  3. Re: Duplicate Tape headers

    Thanks for getting back to me. I have switched the tape over to the other
    backup servers so that there won't be any conflicts

    "Doug Cook" wrote:

    >"Jason Reynolds" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have two SDLT 110/220 tapes that I used for two different backup jobs

    >that
    >>somehow have the same tape header on the media or something. When I labeled
    >>one tape, it changed the name of the other tape as well. No matter how

    >many
    >>times I inventory the second tape, it comes up with the new name even though
    >>I never changed it on that tape. When I put the second tape in a different
    >>backup server, it comes up with it's original name. Is there a way I can
    >>regenerate the database that references the tape names/catalogs to the

    tape
    >>header info?

    >The internal tape numbers in the headers are what Backup Exec really uses
    >for its processing and cataloguing.
    >Somehow you possibly did a raw copy of one tape to another and now BE thinks
    >they are the same tape. I found out that Veritas
    >Raid Director will do this. Backup Exec is not able to do this.
    >You are out of luck unless you can find a product that will
    >rewrite the manufacturers portion of the header in the correct format.
    >
    >Maybe Fuji or whoever produced the tape will feel sorry for you
    >and replace it. They are not supposed to I think, ever create tapes with
    >the same header serial number.
    >
    >I you really want to test if it is the BE database move one of the tapes
    >to the retired media set, right click and delete it.
    >This will take the tape out of the BE system. What will likely happen is
    >that both tapes will be removed and you will have to decide which to inventory
    >again and catalogue.
    >
    >Save the extra tape for when you might need it for copying or in a different
    >BE server.

+ Reply to Thread