Using Drives in a Cascaded Pool as Standalones??? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Using Drives in a Cascaded Pool as Standalones??? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I currently have a Full BU scheme running nightly that includes ALL server drives, Exchange IS & DS, and brick level Mailboxes (I know, I know...) on a Cascaded Pool of twin AIT2 (50/100Gb) drives. It works great except ...

  1. Using Drives in a Cascaded Pool as Standalones???

    Hello,

    I currently have a Full BU scheme running nightly that includes ALL server
    drives, Exchange IS & DS, and brick level Mailboxes (I know, I know...) on a
    Cascaded Pool of twin AIT2 (50/100Gb) drives. It works great except for the
    occasional failure due to " WARNING: "End User[mailbox]?Top of Information
    Store?Deleted Items?Message Name" is a corrupt file. This file cannot
    verify. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^" errors...no biggy, I'll live with it.

    Now, once a week, we need to do a revised (smaller) subset of the above
    backup to only include 2 of the server's drives & the above Exchange set and
    a backup of a remote server. I'd like to be able to split this job into 2
    different jobs and have them backup to each job to a specific AIT
    drive/tape. The problem (or so it seems) is that once the AIT drives have
    been assigned to a Cascaded Pool, I'm unable to specify them as Standalones
    (choose them individually).

    I think I should be able to delete the Cascaded Pool (which should allow me
    to use the drives as Standalones?) for the last 2 jobs, but I'm unsure if
    this will affect the first (original) job when the I reestablish the
    Cascaded Pool or if it could whack out a restore in the future. Thanks in
    advance for any guidance.

    BENT 8.60 Build 3878

    Dave

  2. Re: Using Drives in a Cascaded Pool as Standalones???

    Dang, not even a RTFM comment. Pretty please. Anyone?

    Dave

    "Caver Dave" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I currently have a Full BU scheme running nightly that includes ALL server
    > drives, Exchange IS & DS, and brick level Mailboxes (I know, I know...) on

    > Cascaded Pool of twin AIT2 (50/100Gb) drives. It works great except for

    the
    > occasional failure due to " WARNING: "End User[mailbox]?Top of Information
    > Store?Deleted Items?Message Name" is a corrupt file. This file cannot
    > verify. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^" errors...no biggy, I'll live with it.
    >
    > Now, once a week, we need to do a revised (smaller) subset of the above
    > backup to only include 2 of the server's drives & the above Exchange set

    and
    > a backup of a remote server. I'd like to be able to split this job into 2
    > different jobs and have them backup to each job to a specific AIT
    > drive/tape. The problem (or so it seems) is that once the AIT drives have
    > been assigned to a Cascaded Pool, I'm unable to specify them as

    Standalones
    > (choose them individually).
    >
    > I think I should be able to delete the Cascaded Pool (which should allow

    me
    > to use the drives as Standalones?) for the last 2 jobs, but I'm unsure if
    > this will affect the first (original) job when the I reestablish the
    > Cascaded Pool or if it could whack out a restore in the future. Thanks in
    > advance for any guidance.
    >
    > BENT 8.60 Build 3878
    >
    > Dave

  3. Re: Using Drives in a Cascaded Pool as Standalones???

    Caver Dave,

    I find this NG is next to useless for peer support. Pretty much mirrors the
    support from Veritas. All in all, Backup Exec on SBS2000 has been a great
    disappointment to me after Arcserve on Novell.

    Regards
    Karl

    "Caver Dave" wrote in message
    > Dang, not even a RTFM comment. Pretty please. Anyone?
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "Caver Dave" wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I currently have a Full BU scheme running nightly that includes ALL

    server
    > > drives, Exchange IS & DS, and brick level Mailboxes (I know, I know...)

    on
    > > Cascaded Pool of twin AIT2 (50/100Gb) drives. It works great except for

    > the
    > > occasional failure due to " WARNING: "End User[mailbox]?Top of

    Information
    > > Store?Deleted Items?Message Name" is a corrupt file. This file cannot
    > > verify. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^" errors...no biggy, I'll live with it.
    > >
    > > Now, once a week, we need to do a revised (smaller) subset of the above
    > > backup to only include 2 of the server's drives & the above Exchange set

    > and
    > > a backup of a remote server. I'd like to be able to split this job into

    2
    > > different jobs and have them backup to each job to a specific AIT
    > > drive/tape. The problem (or so it seems) is that once the AIT drives

    have
    > > been assigned to a Cascaded Pool, I'm unable to specify them as

    > Standalones
    > > (choose them individually).
    > >
    > > I think I should be able to delete the Cascaded Pool (which should allow

    > me
    > > to use the drives as Standalones?) for the last 2 jobs, but I'm unsure

    if
    > > this will affect the first (original) job when the I reestablish the
    > > Cascaded Pool or if it could whack out a restore in the future. Thanks

    in
    > > advance for any guidance.
    > >
    > > BENT 8.60 Build 3878
    > >
    > > Dave