Do we need an additional licence for remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Do we need an additional licence for remote backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have BackupExec v8.6 installed on a Windows 2000 Server and wish to backup a remote box, would we require any additional licences or Agents? Kind Regards Darren Lodge...

  1. Do we need an additional licence for remote backups

    We have BackupExec v8.6 installed on a Windows 2000 Server and wish to
    backup a remote box, would we require any additional licences or Agents?

    Kind Regards

    Darren Lodge

  2. Re: Do we need an additional licence for remote backups

    is your remote box a
    NT/2000 Server or NW-Server then you need an additional
    Remote Agent

    BTW when it is a W2000 Advanced-Server you need to backup it
    the W2k-Advanced-Server-Edition on your BE-Server!!!!

    when it is a W2000prof or NT4-Workstation you can install the remote agent
    without an extra license-serial-number
    from your BE-Install-CD

    best regards

    Werner steinegger

    "Darren Lodge" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > We have BackupExec v8.6 installed on a Windows 2000 Server and wish to
    > backup a remote box, would we require any additional licences or Agents?
    >

    > Kind Regards
    >
    > Darren Lodge

  3. Re: Do we need an additional licence for remote backups

    Backup Exec Remote Agent software requires to be installed on each remote
    machine that needs to be protected with Backup Exec server.

    In case, the remote machine is running on a Server Operating System, such
    as Win NT Server, Win2K Server etc, then the remote agent license needs to

    be purchased and registered with the Media Server (BENT Server).
    On the other hand, license is not required for remote systems running Desktop
    Operating System, such as Win NT WkStn, W2K Pro etc.

    Remote Agent not only exposes all the Windows NT/2000 features for Backup
    Exec to back it up, but also increases
    throughput during the backup.

    For further information, please refer to the following TechNote :

    [General requirements for backing up remote Windows NT and Windows 2000

    servers and workstations using Backup Exec 8.x.]

    Following TechNote will assist you on installing this Agent :
    [ How to install the Backup Exec 8.x Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 ]

    Thanks
    JG
    "Werner Steinegger" wrote:
    >is your remote box a
    >NT/2000 Server or NW-Server then you need an additional
    >Remote Agent
    >
    >BTW when it is a W2000 Advanced-Server you need to backup it
    >the W2k-Advanced-Server-Edition on your BE-Server!!!!
    >
    >when it is a W2000prof or NT4-Workstation you can install the remote agent
    >without an extra license-serial-number
    >from your BE-Install-CD
    >
    >best regards
    >
    >Werner steinegger
    >
    >"Darren Lodge" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >> We have BackupExec v8.6 installed on a Windows 2000 Server and wish to
    >> backup a remote box, would we require any additional licences or Agents?
    >>

    >> Kind Regards
    >>
    >> Darren Lodge

  4. Re: Do we need an additional licence for remote backups

    Thanks guys, That's exactly what I wanted to know

    regards
    Darren

+ Reply to Thread