    Event ID: 5051
    Date: 7/15/2002
    Time: 1:01:05 AM
    User: ICMP\McAfee
    Computer: SARSERV
    A thread in process D:\Program Files\Network Associates\NetShield 2000\Mcshield.exe
    took longer than 35000 ms to complete a request.
    The process will be terminated. Thread id : 605 (0x25d)
    Thread address : 0x77f6797f
    Thread message :

    Build Jun 8 2000 11:56:49 / 8.52
    Object being scanned = \Device\Floppy0 ( @ 25011 (10006,10010,25016,10006))

    Just to be sure, scanning outgoing files is "unchecked" and A: is on the
    list of excluded items, in/out.
    Another way to crash McShield.exe is to go to Properties and to click on
    "exclusions" tab. After about 7-10 seconds window titled "McShield.exe -
    application error" appears with "exception 0xe0070001" and "location 0x77f1d479"
    (if this makes any difference to anyone). After clicking "OK", NetShield
    is disabled, and I can start it manualy again, no problems. After second
    crash (yes, crash - enable - crash) exclusions tab finally appears, stating
    FDD (A is excluded, in/out.

    Now, even with this problem, I was able to do backup of Exchange Directory
    and Information store and backup individual mailboxes.

    Yesterday, I had GroupShield upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0. All the settings were
    preserved from previous version, and everything went ok, including test with
    EICAR.COM. Like a dream. Not for long, because my nightly Veritas BackupExec
    8.6 backup failed with "Unable to attach..." and "Device cannot be found"
    for all three (DS, IS, and mailboxes).
    NetShield was up and running, since there was apparently no decent attempt
    to actualy backup any of the above.
    All the settings are the same as with GroupShield 4.5, accounts, credentials,
    everything.

    Now, any idea whatsoever is welcomed, as I'm clueless here.

    Thanks.
    Haris

  2. Re: BackupExec 8.6 Unable to attach - Device cannot be found on Exchange 5.5 DS, IS, mailboxes after GroupShield 4.5 upgrade to Groupshield 5.0

    Haris,
    Did Mcafee crash when BE was running the scanning?
    Does the Virus Scan in BE run the same engine and definition as the Groupshield
    / Netshield?

    "Haris" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >NT4 SP6A with NetShield, Exchange 5.5 SP4 with GroupShield 4.5. Doing remote
    >backup from another mashine (W2K server, SP2, using Veritas BackupExec 8.6).
    >
    >Everything was "ok", I was able to do backup of MS Exchange store, although
    >McShield.exe would crash with the following in the NT Event viewer :
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: McLogEvent
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 5051
    >Date: 7/15/2002
    >Time: 1:01:05 AM
    >User: ICMP\McAfee
    >Computer: SARSERV
    >A thread in process D:\Program Files\Network Associates\NetShield 2000\Mcshield.exe
    >took longer than 35000 ms to complete a request.
    > The process will be terminated. Thread id : 605 (0x25d)
    > Thread address : 0x77f6797f
    > Thread message :
    >
    > Build Jun 8 2000 11:56:49 / 8.52
    > Object being scanned = \Device\Floppy0 ( @ 25011 (10006,10010,25016,10006))
    >
    >Just to be sure, scanning outgoing files is "unchecked" and A: is on the
    >list of excluded items, in/out.
    >Another way to crash McShield.exe is to go to Properties and to click on
    >"exclusions" tab. After about 7-10 seconds window titled "McShield.exe -
    >application error" appears with "exception 0xe0070001" and "location 0x77f1d479"
    >(if this makes any difference to anyone). After clicking "OK", NetShield
    >is disabled, and I can start it manualy again, no problems. After second
    >crash (yes, crash - enable - crash) exclusions tab finally appears, stating
    >FDD (A is excluded, in/out.
    >
    >Now, even with this problem, I was able to do backup of Exchange Directory
    >and Information store and backup individual mailboxes.
    >
    >Yesterday, I had GroupShield upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0. All the settings

    were
    >preserved from previous version, and everything went ok, including test

    with
    >EICAR.COM. Like a dream. Not for long, because my nightly Veritas BackupExec
    >8.6 backup failed with "Unable to attach..." and "Device cannot be found"
    >for all three (DS, IS, and mailboxes).
    >NetShield was up and running, since there was apparently no decent attempt
    >to actualy backup any of the above.
    >All the settings are the same as with GroupShield 4.5, accounts, credentials,
    >everything.
    >
    >Now, any idea whatsoever is welcomed, as I'm clueless here.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Haris

  3. Re: BackupExec 8.6 Unable to attach - Device cannot be found on Exchange 5.5 DS, IS, mailboxes after GroupShield 4.5 upgrade to Groupshield 5.0

    Jenn,

    Yes, McShield will crash when backup starts. If you examine the
    log below, you'll see it crashed at 1:01:05 AM, and backup
    starts at 1.00 AM, and it takes some time to load a tape from
    HP autoloader, so it's safe to assume it crashes when data was
    actually accessed.
    All of the computers in question are running NetShield 4.5 SP1,
    same engine and same dat version. Exchange server runs
    GroupShield 5.0 now.
    The other thing is, believe or not, I've solved this problem
    few minutes ago. I was using regedt32 to edit LSA and restrict
    anonimous support keys on both mail server and backup server,
    and now it seems to work. I did backup DS fine, and McShield
    didn't crash (wow ;-))
    I'll have to see what I'll find on the screen when I get here
    in the morning, but it looks promising now. Although I have no
    idea what went wrong, or what I have changed that wasn't changed
    before, now it works, so I guess I'll leave it at that.

    Thanks,
    Haris

    -
    >>application error" appears with "exception 0xe0070001" and "location 0x77f1d479"
    >>(if this makes any difference to anyone). After clicking "OK", NetShield
    >>is disabled, and I can start it manualy again, no problems. After second
    >>crash (yes, crash - enable - crash) exclusions tab finally appears, stating
    >>FDD (A is excluded, in/out.
    >>
    >>Now, even with this problem, I was able to do backup of Exchange Directory
    >>and Information store and backup individual mailboxes.
    >>
    >>Yesterday, I had GroupShield upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0. All the settings

    >were
    >>preserved from previous version, and everything went ok, including test

    >with
    >>EICAR.COM. Like a dream. Not for long, because my nightly Veritas BackupExec
    >>8.6 backup failed with "Unable to attach..." and "Device cannot be found"
    >>for all three (DS, IS, and mailboxes).
    >>NetShield was up and running, since there was apparently no decent attempt
    >>to actualy backup any of the above.
    >>All the settings are the same as with GroupShield 4.5, accounts, credentials,
    >>everything.
    >>
    >>Now, any idea whatsoever is welcomed, as I'm clueless here.
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>Haris

  4. Re: BackupExec 8.6 Unable to attach - Device cannot be found on Exchange 5.5 DS, IS, mailboxes after GroupShield 4.5 upgrade to Groupshield 5.0

    That would be a strange solution but then it works! :-)
    keep me updated!

    -jenn

    "Haris" wrote:

> [...]

    >>>FDD (A is excluded, in/out.
    >>>
    >>>Now, even with this problem, I was able to do backup of Exchange Directory
    >>>and Information store and backup individual mailboxes.
    >>>
    >>>Yesterday, I had GroupShield upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0. All the settings

    >>were
    >>>preserved from previous version, and everything went ok, including test

    >>with
    >>>EICAR.COM. Like a dream. Not for long, because my nightly Veritas BackupExec
    >>>8.6 backup failed with "Unable to attach..." and "Device cannot be found"
    >>>for all three (DS, IS, and mailboxes).
    >>>NetShield was up and running, since there was apparently no decent attempt
    >>>to actualy backup any of the above.
    >>>All the settings are the same as with GroupShield 4.5, accounts, credentials,
    >>>everything.
    >>>
    >>>Now, any idea whatsoever is welcomed, as I'm clueless here.

  5. Re: BackupExec 8.6 Unable to attach - Device cannot be found on Exchange 5.5 DS, IS, mailboxes after GroupShield 4.5 upgrade to Groupshield 5.0

    Running NT4 SP6A with Backup Exec 7, NetShield, Exchange 5.5 SP4 with GroupShield
    5.0.

    After upgrading from Groupsheild 4.5 to 5.0 the Backup Exec server service
    will no longer load.

    Any ideas?

    -Jennifer

    "Haris" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >NT4 SP6A with NetShield, Exchange 5.5 SP4 with GroupShield 4.5. Doing remote
    >backup from another mashine (W2K server, SP2, using Veritas BackupExec 8.6).
    >
    >Everything was "ok", I was able to do backup of MS Exchange store, although
    >McShield.exe would crash with the following in the NT Event viewer :
    >
    >Event Type: Error
    >Event Source: McLogEvent
    >Event Category: None
    >Event ID: 5051
    >Date: 7/15/2002
    >Time: 1:01:05 AM
    >User: ICMP\McAfee
    >Computer: SARSERV
    >A thread in process D:\Program Files\Network Associates\NetShield 2000\Mcshield.exe
    >took longer than 35000 ms to complete a request.
    > The process will be terminated. Thread id : 605 (0x25d)
    > Thread address : 0x77f6797f
    > Thread message :
    >
    > Build Jun 8 2000 11:56:49 / 8.52
    > Object being scanned = \Device\Floppy0 ( @ 25011 (10006,10010,25016,10006))
    >
    >Just to be sure, scanning outgoing files is "unchecked" and A: is on the
    >list of excluded items, in/out.
    >Another way to crash McShield.exe is to go to Properties and to click on
    >"exclusions" tab. After about 7-10 seconds window titled "McShield.exe -
    >application error" appears with "exception 0xe0070001" and "location 0x77f1d479"
    >(if this makes any difference to anyone). After clicking "OK", NetShield
    >is disabled, and I can start it manualy again, no problems. After second
    >crash (yes, crash - enable - crash) exclusions tab finally appears, stating
    >FDD (A is excluded, in/out.
    >
    >Now, even with this problem, I was able to do backup of Exchange Directory
    >and Information store and backup individual mailboxes.
    >
    >Yesterday, I had GroupShield upgraded from 4.5 to 5.0. All the settings

    were
    >preserved from previous version, and everything went ok, including test

    with
    >EICAR.COM. Like a dream. Not for long, because my nightly Veritas BackupExec
    >8.6 backup failed with "Unable to attach..." and "Device cannot be found"
    >for all three (DS, IS, and mailboxes).
    >NetShield was up and running, since there was apparently no decent attempt
    >to actualy backup any of the above.
    >All the settings are the same as with GroupShield 4.5, accounts, credentials,
    >everything.
    >
    >Now, any idea whatsoever is welcomed, as I'm clueless here.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >Haris

+ Reply to Thread