Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi All, Have had a problem where the media server refuses to see the remote agent installed on the target machine even though the service is installed and running, both servers are Win2K fyi. Have tried these tech docs already: ...

  1. Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    Hi All,

    Have had a problem where the media server refuses to see the remote agent
    installed on the target machine even though the service is installed and
    running, both servers are Win2K fyi.

    Have tried these tech docs already:

    All to no avail, have also tried drilling down to setupaa.cmd to try and
    install directly onto the target machine but again I get a message stating
    that the agent hasn't been found.

    Help! I've managed to fix most "quirks" with BE on my own but this one is
    starting to get a little frustrating! The job runs and backs up the files ok
    but then fails and puts the job on hold.

    Thanks in advance for any sollutions.

    Steve.

  2. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    Hi Steven:

    Too goog product...I've been using it from past 1 year and excellent results..

    Anyway,, as/your issue:

    Backup Exec Remote Agent software requires to be installed on each remote
    machine that needs to be protected with Backup Exec server.

    In case, the remote machine is running on a Server Operating System, such
    as Win NT Server, Win2K Server etc, then the remote agent license needs to

    be purchased and registered with the Media Server (BENT Server).
    On the other hand, license is not required for remote systems running Desktop
    Operating System, such as Win NT WkStn, W2K Pro etc.

    Remote Agent not only exposes all the Windows NT/2000 features for Backup
    Exec to back it up, but also increases
    throughput during the backup.

    For further information, please refer to the following TechNote :

    [General requirements for backing up remote Windows NT and Windows 2000

    servers and workstations using Backup Exec 8.x.]

    Following TechNote will assist you on installing this Agent :
    [ How to install the Backup Exec 8.x Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 ]

    ThanX!
    JG
    "Steven Rhoods" wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >Have had a problem where the media server refuses to see the remote agent
    >installed on the target machine even though the service is installed and
    >running, both servers are Win2K fyi.
    >
    >Have tried these tech docs already:
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240173.htm
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239756.htm
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    >
    >All to no avail, have also tried drilling down to setupaa.cmd to try and
    >install directly onto the target machine but again I get a message stating
    >that the agent hasn't been found.
    >
    >Help! I've managed to fix most "quirks" with BE on my own but this one is
    >starting to get a little frustrating! The job runs and backs up the files

    ok
    >but then fails and puts the job on hold.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any sollutions.
    >
    >Steve.

  3. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    I know the agent needs to be installed! The agent is installed but its not
    being recognised, thats the problem!

    Steve.

    "JG" wrote :

    > Hi Steven:
    >
    > Too goog product...I've been using it from past 1 year and excellent

    results..

    > Anyway,, as/your issue:
    >
    > Backup Exec Remote Agent software requires to be installed on each remote
    > machine that needs to be protected with Backup Exec server.
    >
    > In case, the remote machine is running on a Server Operating System,

    such
    > as Win NT Server, Win2K Server etc, then the remote agent license needs to
    >
    > be purchased and registered with the Media Server (BENT Server).
    > On the other hand, license is not required for remote systems running

    Desktop
    > Operating System, such as Win NT WkStn, W2K Pro etc.
    >
    > Remote Agent not only exposes all the Windows NT/2000 features for

    Backup
    > Exec to back it up, but also increases
    > throughput during the backup.
    >
    > For further information, please refer to the following TechNote :
    >
    > [General requirements for backing up remote Windows NT and Windows 2000
    >
    > servers and workstations using Backup Exec 8.x.]
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237500.htm
    >

    > Following TechNote will assist you on installing this Agent :
    > [ How to install the Backup Exec 8.x Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 ]
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236988.htm
    >

    > ThanX!
    > JG
    > "Steven Rhoods" wrote:
    > >Hi All,
    > >
    > >Have had a problem where the media server refuses to see the remote agent
    > >installed on the target machine even though the service is installed and
    > >running, both servers are Win2K fyi.
    > >
    > >Have tried these tech docs already:
    > >
    > >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240173.htm
    > >
    > >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239756.htm
    > >
    > >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    > >
    > >All to no avail, have also tried drilling down to setupaa.cmd to try and
    > >install directly onto the target machine but again I get a message

    stating
    > >that the agent hasn't been found.
    > >
    > >Help! I've managed to fix most "quirks" with BE on my own but this one is
    > >starting to get a little frustrating! The job runs and backs up the files

    > ok
    > >but then fails and puts the job on hold.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance for any sollutions.
    > >
    > >Steve.

  4. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    Hi Steven:

    Ensure that Remote Agent is really actioning or responding by issuing the
    following command from the console of Backup server:

    telnet ip_address_remote_machine 6103 (for windows 2000)

    - if only a blank screen is displayed then the connectivity between Remote
    Agent & backup server is fine, else an error message will be returned

    Also ensure that both the backup server & remote machine are there on the
    same domain. If both are on different domains then a trust relationship needs
    to be established.
    If both are part of the same domain then ensure that you are logged on to
    the domain rather than locally.

    If the issue persists then please revert with the exact error message.

    ThanX
    JG

    ]
    >> http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236988.htm
    >>

    >> ThanX!
    >> JG
    >> "Steven Rhoods" wrote:
    >> >Hi All,
    >> >
    >> >Have had a problem where the media server refuses to see the remote agent
    >> >installed on the target machine even though the service is installed

    and
    >> >running, both servers are Win2K fyi.
    >> >
    >> >Have tried these tech docs already:
    >> >
    >> >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240173.htm
    >> >
    >> >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239756.htm
    >> >
    >> >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/234471.htm
    >> >
    >> >All to no avail, have also tried drilling down to setupaa.cmd to try

    and
    >> >install directly onto the target machine but again I get a message

    >stating
    >> >that the agent hasn't been found.
    >> >
    >> >Help! I've managed to fix most "quirks" with BE on my own but this one

    is
    >> >starting to get a little frustrating! The job runs and backs up the files

    >> ok
    >> >but then fails and puts the job on hold.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance for any sollutions.
    >> >
    >> >Steve.

  5. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    Hi,

    I've connected to the server running the remote agent using "telnet adserver
    6103" and it connects up and displays the blank screen ok.

    The actual error message is:

    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    Warning: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows 2000 servers
    or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is
    installed and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or workstation to
    be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is
    not running while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.

    The files are then backed up as they should be but the job fails and then
    gets put on hold. The curious thing is that the service is running and that
    if you right click on the server on the media server and look at the
    properties for the server is shows that the remote agent is indeed running.

    Both servers are part of the same domain, one's the DC/File Server and the
    others running Exchange 2000 so I know the trust relationship between them
    is ok.

    Regards,

    Steve.

    "JG" wrote :

    > Hi Steven:
    >
    > Ensure that Remote Agent is really actioning or responding by issuing the
    > following command from the console of Backup server:
    >
    > telnet ip_address_remote_machine 6103 (for windows 2000)
    >
    > - if only a blank screen is displayed then the connectivity between Remote
    > Agent & backup server is fine, else an error message will be returned
    >
    > Also ensure that both the backup server & remote machine are there on the
    > same domain. If both are on different domains then a trust relationship

    needs
    > to be established.
    > If both are part of the same domain then ensure that you are logged on to
    > the domain rather than locally.
    >
    > If the issue persists then please revert with the exact error message.

  6. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    Ditto - EXACT same problem, Exact same config. Everything in all the notes
    mentioned has been followed and confirmed. There are no rights isssues, there
    is no connectivity issues, there is a valid license installed, the agent
    is installed and responding. THERE is a problem with the product and I would
    at least like to know that someone at Veritas is willing to admit to it and
    I want to know what they are doing to fix it!

    This is happening to WAY to many people to be a PEBCAK thing. If there is
    some trick to getting this to work let us know!

    DF

    "Steven Rhoods" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I've connected to the server running the remote agent using "telnet adserver
    >6103" and it connects up and displays the blank screen ok.
    >
    >The actual error message is:
    >
    >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >Warning: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows 2000 servers
    >or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000

    is
    >installed and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or workstation

    >be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000

    is
    >not running while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >
    >The files are then backed up as they should be but the job fails and then
    >gets put on hold. The curious thing is that the service is running and that
    >if you right click on the server on the media server and look at the
    >properties for the server is shows that the remote agent is indeed running.
    >
    >Both servers are part of the same domain, one's the DC/File Server and the
    >others running Exchange 2000 so I know the trust relationship between them
    >is ok.
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Steve.
    >
    >"JG" wrote :
    >>
    >> Hi Steven:
    >>
    >> Ensure that Remote Agent is really actioning or responding by issuing

    the
    >> following command from the console of Backup server:
    >>
    >> telnet ip_address_remote_machine 6103 (for windows 2000)
    >>
    >> - if only a blank screen is displayed then the connectivity between Remote
    >> Agent & backup server is fine, else an error message will be returned
    >>
    >> Also ensure that both the backup server & remote machine are there on

    the
    >> same domain. If both are on different domains then a trust relationship

    >needs
    >> to be established.
    >> If both are part of the same domain then ensure that you are logged on

    >> the domain rather than locally.
    >>
    >> If the issue persists then please revert with the exact error message.

  7. Re: Backup Exec 8.6 Remote Agent Problem

    The solution to my problem with the remote agent was found in this forum in
    an earlier thread. There was a entry for Appletalk in my Winsock transports
    in the registry - even though appletalk was not installed. I removed it,
    rebooted and the error went away.

    Sure would have been nice to find this information in a support article!

    DF

    "Derek Fradsham" wrote:

    >Ditto - EXACT same problem, Exact same config. Everything in all the notes
    >mentioned has been followed and confirmed. There are no rights isssues,

    there
    >is no connectivity issues, there is a valid license installed, the agent
    >is installed and responding. THERE is a problem with the product and I would
    >at least like to know that someone at Veritas is willing to admit to it

    and
    >I want to know what they are doing to fix it!
    >
    >This is happening to WAY to many people to be a PEBCAK thing. If there is
    >some trick to getting this to work let us know!
    >
    >DF
    >

    >"Steven Rhoods" wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I've connected to the server running the remote agent using "telnet adserver
    >>6103" and it connects up and displays the blank screen ok.
    >>
    >>The actual error message is:
    >>
    >>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >>Warning: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows 2000 servers
    >>or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000

    >is
    >>installed and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or workstation

    >>be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000

    >is
    >>not running while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >>
    >>The files are then backed up as they should be but the job fails and then
    >>gets put on hold. The curious thing is that the service is running and

    that
    >>if you right click on the server on the media server and look at the
    >>properties for the server is shows that the remote agent is indeed running.
    >>
    >>Both servers are part of the same domain, one's the DC/File Server and

    the
    >>others running Exchange 2000 so I know the trust relationship between them
    >>is ok.
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>
    >>Steve.
    >>
    >>"JG" wrote :
    >>>
    >>> Hi Steven:
    >>>
    >>> Ensure that Remote Agent is really actioning or responding by issuing

    >the
    >>> following command from the console of Backup server:
    >>>
    >>> telnet ip_address_remote_machine 6103 (for windows 2000)
    >>>
    >>> - if only a blank screen is displayed then the connectivity between Remote
    >>> Agent & backup server is fine, else an error message will be returned
    >>>
    >>> Also ensure that both the backup server & remote machine are there on

    >the
    >>> same domain. If both are on different domains then a trust relationship

    >>needs
    >>> to be established.
    >>> If both are part of the same domain then ensure that you are logged on

    >>> the domain rather than locally.
    >>>
    >>> If the issue persists then please revert with the exact error message.

+ Reply to Thread