Increase Backup Speed - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Increase Backup Speed - Veritas Backup Exec ; What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of: 1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model? 2. Update the firmware? 3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed? I would like to increase our ...

  1. Increase Backup Speed

    What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:

    1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    2. Update the firmware?
    3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?

    I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which is
    having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    Coffe hasn't started working yet - What kind of throughput is that, from
    the job log?
    Is this a local backup or network?
    if network is only one remote machine slow, or all of them?
    Is/Are the tape device/library on their own SCSI Controller?
    Is anything else scheduled to run on the backup server during backups?
    AV Scan? ScanDisk?
    Are your using a OGL screen saver on a non-OGL video card?

    plusign2 wrote:

    >What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:
    >
    >1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    >2. Update the firmware?
    >3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?
    >
    >I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which is
    >having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.
    >
    >Thanks in advance

  3. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    It's local backup with their own SCSI controller.

    No virus scanning or other job is running when the backup job is running and
    the server is not using any screen saver.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Coffe hasn't started working yet - What kind of throughput is that, from
    > the job log?
    > Is this a local backup or network?
    > if network is only one remote machine slow, or all of them?
    > Is/Are the tape device/library on their own SCSI Controller?
    > Is anything else scheduled to run on the backup server during backups?
    > AV Scan? ScanDisk?
    > Are your using a OGL screen saver on a non-OGL video card?
    >

    > plusign2 wrote:
    >
    > >What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:
    > >
    > >1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    > >2. Update the firmware?
    > >3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?
    > >
    > >I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which is
    > >having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance

  4. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    Make sure you're not using the options "write checksums to media" and "verify
    after backup". Those will kill your job times. If however they are important
    to have these done then you may be stuck.

  5. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    I have unchecked this option.

    "Jim Geith" wrote in message

    > Make sure you're not using the options "write checksums to media" and

    "verify
    > after backup". Those will kill your job times. If however they are

    important
    > to have these done then you may be stuck.

  6. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    "plusign2" wrote in message
    > What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:

    What's the throughput now?

    > 1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    > 2. Update the firmware?
    > 3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?
    >
    > I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which is
    > having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.

    You're backing up 700GB in 12 hrs??? That's fast already.

  7. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    The throughput now is 350MB/Min

    "Ron" wrote:
    >"plusign2" wrote in message
    >> What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:

    >What's the throughput now?
    >

    >> 1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    >> 2. Update the firmware?
    >> 3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?
    >>
    >> I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which

    is
    >> having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.

    >You're backing up 700GB in 12 hrs??? That's fast already.

  8. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    "Ron" wrote in message news:3d2b3105@hronntp01....
    > "plusign2" wrote in message
    > > What can we do to increase backup speed? What i can think of:

    > What's the throughput now?
    >

    > > 1. Replace the highest speed for scsi controller? Which model?
    > > 2. Update the firmware?
    > > 3. Is the CPU/RAM effecting the speed?
    > >
    > > I would like to increase our backup speed of Compaq storageworks which

    is
    > > having 700GB. It's currently taking 12 hours.

    > You're backing up 700GB in 12 hrs??? That's fast already.

    Sorry the capacity is being backup now only around 500GB

  9. Re: Increase Backup Speed

    Is this anywhere near the tape specs? The backup throughput depends on the
    data set. I've used an LTO tape drive to backup thousands of small text
    files, total size is 30GB. The throughput was slightly faster than a DAT
    (DDS3) tape drive (sad, isn't it?).

    350MB/min is approximately the speed of a DLT1 tape drive (compressed
    transfer rate). If you're using a DLT drive, that sounds about right.

    "plusign" wrote in message

    > The throughput now is 350MB/Min

+ Reply to Thread