Help - Error on a Request to Space to End of Data - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Help - Error on a Request to Space to End of Data - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup Exec 7.3 Rev. 2575 Lately I've been getting a lot of errors that say: "Storage device "EXABYTE 0" reported an error on a request to space to end of data. Error reported: The request could not be performed because ...

  1. Help - Error on a Request to Space to End of Data

    Backup Exec 7.3 Rev. 2575

    Lately I've been getting a lot of errors that say:

    "Storage device "EXABYTE 0" reported an error on a request to space to
    end of data.

    Error reported:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

    I have the overwrite protection period set to "None" and the append
    period set to "Infinite - Allow Append". The tapes are Exabyte 160mXL
    8mm data cartridges and have an uncompressed capacity of 7GB. We are
    currently pushing that limit and have the BENT compression settings at
    "Hardware (if available, otherwise software)". How would I know if
    hardware compression is available?

    What exactly is this error telling me? Is it telling me:

    1) The tapes are worn out (They've been used once a month for 5 years).
    2) The tapes are full.
    3) The tapes do not have the capacity to backup all the selected files.
    4) Something else (like maybe a hardware problem).

    Thanks for any help you can offer.

    --

    Please reply to the newsgroup so that all may learn
    from your wisdom.

    --Tom

  2. Re: Help - Error on a Request to Space to End of Data

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191694.htm

    Thomas M wrote:

    >Backup Exec 7.3 Rev. 2575
    >
    >Lately I've been getting a lot of errors that say:
    >
    >"Storage device "EXABYTE 0" reported an error on a request to space to
    >end of data.
    >
    >Error reported:
    >The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
    >
    >I have the overwrite protection period set to "None" and the append
    >period set to "Infinite - Allow Append". The tapes are Exabyte 160mXL
    >8mm data cartridges and have an uncompressed capacity of 7GB. We are
    >currently pushing that limit and have the BENT compression settings at
    >"Hardware (if available, otherwise software)". How would I know if
    >hardware compression is available?
    >
    >What exactly is this error telling me? Is it telling me:
    >
    >1) The tapes are worn out (They've been used once a month for 5 years).
    >2) The tapes are full.
    >3) The tapes do not have the capacity to backup all the selected files.
    >4) Something else (like maybe a hardware problem).
    >
    >Thanks for any help you can offer.

+ Reply to Thread