Devices Configuration Wizard - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Devices Configuration Wizard - Veritas Backup Exec ; Anybody having problems with the changers renaming an Exabyte EZ17 autoloader device. I'v deleted the changers and uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted and they still show up under devices. I'm trying to install an exact replacement of the autoloader and Veritas ...

  1. Devices Configuration Wizard

    Anybody having problems with the changers renaming an Exabyte EZ17 autoloader
    device. I'v deleted the changers and uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted
    and they still show up under devices. I'm trying to install an exact replacement
    of the autoloader and Veritas isn't liking it.

  2. Re: Devices Configuration Wizard

    This issue can be resolved by recreating driver database file:

    To Create a New PVL.Mdb, please perform the following:
    1. Stop ALL seven of the Backup Exec for Windows NT services using one
    of the following methods:
    a. From Control Panel/Services, Stop the Backup Exec Notification Server
    service. (See Figure 1). This will stop the Backup Exec Agent Browser, Backup
    Exec Alert Server, Backup Exec Job Engine & Backup Exec Server services as
    well. Then stop the two remaining services, which are the Backup Exec Device
    & Media Service and the Backup Exec Naming Service.
    Or
    b. From the Backup Exec Installation CD, Run \WINNT\UTILS\BESTOP.BAT. This
    will stop all seven services.

    2. Rename the C:\Program Files\veritas\Backup Exec\NT\PVL.MDB (default
    path) file to PVL.OLD
    If Backup Exec for Windows NT was not installed to the default path, please
    enter the correct one
    3. Insert the Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 cd into the cd rom drive
    4. When the autorun appears, click Quit
    5. Open Windows NT Explorer and browse to the Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000
    cd
    6. Locate the file PVL from the WINNT\Be\Utils directory and copy it into
    the NT directory where Backup Exec for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    7. Right click on the PVL file that was copied from the CD into the NT
    directory and click Properties
    8. Uncheck the "read only" box and click OK

    Note: After copying a new Pvl.mdb into the NT directory, all media sets
    will have to be created.

    Start all seven services of Backup Exec for Windows NT

    "John" wrote:

    >Anybody having problems with the changers renaming an Exabyte EZ17 autoloader
    >device. I'v deleted the changers and uninstalled the drivers. Rebooted
    >and they still show up under devices. I'm trying to install an exact replacement
    >of the autoloader and Veritas isn't liking it.

+ Reply to Thread