Dumb newbie question - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Dumb newbie question - Veritas Backup Exec ; My Scenario: I need to run 3 backup jobs onto 1 tape per night (mon>fri). I have setup standard GFS method thru the automated backup strategy wizard. Here is what I have for 'monday': Job1: backs up data & sys ...

  1. Dumb newbie question

    My Scenario: I need to run 3 backup jobs onto 1 tape per night (mon>fri).
    I have setup standard GFS method thru the automated backup strategy wizard.
    Here is what I have for 'monday':

    Job1: backs up data & sys state (OFO enabled, follow junction points
    disabled)
    Job2: backs up data & sys state (OFO disabled, follow junction points
    enabled)
    Job3: backs up SQL & Exchange

    All tapes initially in 'scratch set' (have 20 tapes for the year). Iv'e set
    Job1 to 'overwrite' with Jobs2 & 3 to 'append' - is this correct?. The
    above constitutes FULL backups and all 3 jobs onto one tape. Tue>Thu I need
    'DIFF' backups, but I still need all 3 of the Jobs to go onto 1 tape for
    each night (tue>thu) - what is the best way to achieve this and avoid any
    'please insert overwritable media' alerts etc.

    I simply want all 3 jobs backing up onto 1 tape per night (mon>fri) in a
    standard GFS type scheme...is it best to create each job manually...if so,
    how should this be done given my above scenario?... or should I use the
    'automated backup strategy wizard'. I have had several alerts to 'insert
    overwritable media' even tho I'm pretty sure i have set up my jobs to append
    correctly etc... Does the fact that I'm running '3' jobs onto 1 tape per
    night have an impact on the 'rotation' cycle or 'append' period being used
    up too quickly?

    any help greatly appreciated

    - ras -

  2. Re: Dumb newbie question

    You know what they say about "Dumb Questions"

    Personally I hate wizards, they often don't do what you expect them to

    Set media overwrite protection to "partial"

    Set up two media sets "Daily" and "Weekly". Set the retention period of
    each media set so that when you want to re-use the tapes, they will have
    expired

    Set up both Weekly jobs to use the "Weekly" set, Set both Daily jobs to use
    the "Daily" media set. Set the first job of the night to "overwrite" and
    the next/rest to "append"

    "Craig Pilkington" wrote:
    >My Scenario: I need to run 3 backup jobs onto 1 tape per night (mon>fri).
    >I have setup standard GFS method thru the automated backup strategy wizard.
    >Here is what I have for 'monday':
    >
    >Job1: backs up data & sys state (OFO enabled, follow junction points
    >disabled)
    >Job2: backs up data & sys state (OFO disabled, follow junction points
    >enabled)
    >Job3: backs up SQL & Exchange
    >
    >All tapes initially in 'scratch set' (have 20 tapes for the year). Iv'e

    set
    >Job1 to 'overwrite' with Jobs2 & 3 to 'append' - is this correct?. The
    >above constitutes FULL backups and all 3 jobs onto one tape. Tue>Thu I

    need
    >'DIFF' backups, but I still need all 3 of the Jobs to go onto 1 tape for
    >each night (tue>thu) - what is the best way to achieve this and avoid any
    >'please insert overwritable media' alerts etc.
    >
    >I simply want all 3 jobs backing up onto 1 tape per night (mon>fri) in a
    >standard GFS type scheme...is it best to create each job manually...if so,
    >how should this be done given my above scenario?... or should I use the
    >'automated backup strategy wizard'. I have had several alerts to 'insert
    >overwritable media' even tho I'm pretty sure i have set up my jobs to append
    >correctly etc... Does the fact that I'm running '3' jobs onto 1 tape per
    >night have an impact on the 'rotation' cycle or 'append' period being used
    >up too quickly?
    >
    >any help greatly appreciated
    >
    >- ras -

+ Reply to Thread