backup - DLT40/80 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on backup - DLT40/80 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have 2 DLT 40/80Gb on a server. I want to backup 120Gb... backupexec requires 3 tapes ... The directory which i backup up are not compressed with NT. I don't understand why the backup can't fit on 2 tapes ...

  1. backup - DLT40/80

    I have 2 DLT 40/80Gb on a server.
    I want to backup 120Gb...
    backupexec requires 3 tapes ...
    The directory which i backup up are not compressed with NT.
    I don't understand why the backup can't fit on 2 tapes ... 2 tapes can handle
    160GB !!

    Help please...
    thanks
    olivier

  2. Re: backup - DLT40/80

    "olivier" wrote in message

    > I don't understand why the backup can't fit on 2 tapes ... 2 tapes can

    handle
    > 160GB !!

    Nope 2 tapes can handle 80GB above that you rely on compression. If the data
    you backup isnt very compressible you need more tapes.

    Try to enable software compression and let the backup job complete it will
    show you the compression ratio

  3. Re: backup - DLT40/80

    80GB is based on 2:1 compression rate. In the real world, you may or may not
    get anywhere near 80GB, depending on the data set. If you're backing up text
    files, you'll get a very good compression rate. Other files such as mpeg,
    mp3 etc are already compressed.

    I'm backing up 42GB worth of data, all text files. Software compression is
    enabled. The compression rate is 2.3:1 The following is my backup log:

    Backup completed on 6/27/2002 at 6:41:03 AM.
    Backed up 842591 files in 60996 directories.
    Processed 42,000,439,612 bytes in 10 hours, 40 minutes, and 32 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 62.5 MB/min
    Software compression ratio: 2.3:1

    Verify completed on 6/27/2002 at 8:32:47 AM.
    Verified 842591 files in 60996 directories.
    0 files were different.
    Processed 18,244,804,595 bytes in 1 hour, 50 minutes, and 57 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 156.8 MB/min

    "olivier" wrote in message

    > I have 2 DLT 40/80Gb on a server.
    > I want to backup 120Gb...
    > backupexec requires 3 tapes ...
    > The directory which i backup up are not compressed with NT.
    > I don't understand why the backup can't fit on 2 tapes ... 2 tapes can

    handle
    > 160GB !!
    >
    > Help please...
    > thanks