Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello all, I am a newbie to BENT and have been asked to fix a customers backup problem with BENT 8.5. The backups were working fine until one day, they inserted the tape and it spat it back out asking ...

  1. Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP!

    Hello all,
    I am a newbie to BENT and have been asked to fix a customers backup problem
    with BENT 8.5.

    The backups were working fine until one day, they inserted the tape and it
    spat it back out asking to insert overwritable media.

    I have checked the overwrite settings and they are set to the correct overwrite
    settings for the media being inserted.

    This has been going on for approx 1 month for them and they have had other
    techs try to fix the problem with no joy, so I would dearly like to be the
    one that can fix it.

    They are running Win2K Pro, BENT 8.5 (with the latest update) and have sets
    of media that has a Full Monthly backup with the others being appended to
    Mon to Fri.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    thanks and regards

    Rossco

  2. Re: Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP!

    "Ross Hopkins" wrote in message

    > The backups were working fine until one day, they inserted the tape and it
    > spat it back out asking to insert overwritable media.

    > I have checked the overwrite settings and they are set to the correct

    overwrite
    > settings for the media being inserted.

    What about media managment ?, is overwrite protection enabled ?

    > This has been going on for approx 1 month for them and they have had other
    > techs try to fix the problem with no joy, so I would dearly like to be the
    > one that can fix it.

    Yikes one month, cancel all backup jobs running, clean the drive insert
    tape, try an inventory
    if that works try a label/erase of the tape to verify that the drive works

    Then try a backup

    it sounds like a defunct tape drive or misconfigured overwrite protection.

  3. Re: Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP!

    Thanks for that,
    the tape drive has already been replaced apparently! I overwrite protection
    is not on, I will try what you said and let you know what happens.

    regards

    Ross
    "Flemming Riis" wrote:
    >"Ross Hopkins" wrote in message
    >
    >> The backups were working fine until one day, they inserted the tape and

    it
    >> spat it back out asking to insert overwritable media.

    >> I have checked the overwrite settings and they are set to the correct

    >overwrite
    >> settings for the media being inserted.

    >What about media managment ?, is overwrite protection enabled ?
    >
    >> This has been going on for approx 1 month for them and they have had other
    >> techs try to fix the problem with no joy, so I would dearly like to be

    the
    >> one that can fix it.

    >Yikes one month, cancel all backup jobs running, clean the drive insert
    >tape, try an inventory
    >if that works try a label/erase of the tape to verify that the drive works
    >
    >Then try a backup
    >
    >it sounds like a defunct tape drive or misconfigured overwrite protection.

  4. Re: Tape ejecting within 30 seconds of insertion - HELP!

    Hi Again Riis,
    well I followed that article from Veritas that asked to move all the media
    concerned to the scratch media pool, and on Mondays tape it seemed to work
    partially.

    When I went into the logs it said that so many files and directories were
    backed up and the tape had ejected, but the job status is showing
    "pending"..

    Any ideas on what could of happened here?

    cheer

    Rossco

    "Flemming Riis" wrote in message
    > "Ross Hopkins" wrote in message
    >
    > > The backups were working fine until one day, they inserted the tape and

    it
    > > spat it back out asking to insert overwritable media.

    > > I have checked the overwrite settings and they are set to the correct

    > overwrite
    > > settings for the media being inserted.

    > What about media managment ?, is overwrite protection enabled ?
    >
    > > This has been going on for approx 1 month for them and they have had

    other
    > > techs try to fix the problem with no joy, so I would dearly like to be

    the
    > > one that can fix it.

    > Yikes one month, cancel all backup jobs running, clean the drive insert
    > tape, try an inventory
    > if that works try a label/erase of the tape to verify that the drive works
    >
    > Then try a backup
    >
    > it sounds like a defunct tape drive or misconfigured overwrite protection.

+ Reply to Thread