Autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Autoloader - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out ! The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the night is to short ...

  1. Autoloader

    Hello,

    i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !

    The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    night is to short !! :-)))

    So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device

    What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    and have tapes for a week ?

    Thanks
    Jürgen

  2. Re: Autoloader

    Have you considered DDS-4 DAT drives & media?

    It will hold 20/40GB per tape and it would still offer
    compatibility with your existing DDS-3 media.

    It may also come in handy if you need to restore
    from your existing library.

    H-P offers a DDS-4 autoloader (of course).

    Other vendors of DDS-4 Autoloaders include Sony
    (the model TSL-11000 holds eight DDS-4 cartridges)
    and Seagate (Scorpion).

    I hope this helps.

    pdp

    "Jürgen Breiner" wrote ...
    > Hello,
    >
    > i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    > DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !
    >
    > The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    > night is to short !! :-)))
    >
    > So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device
    >
    > What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    > and have tapes for a week ?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jürgen

  3. Re: Autoloader

    Moin Juergen,

    our exepirence with DAT autoloader shows,
    after 3 years of use you have to buy a new one.
    So it maybe not worse to look for a small DLT
    or LTO. They stay longer.
    They are more expencive.
    Good luck
    Rainer

    "Phil Pucci" wrote:
    >Have you considered DDS-4 DAT drives & media?
    >
    >It will hold 20/40GB per tape and it would still offer
    >compatibility with your existing DDS-3 media.
    >
    >It may also come in handy if you need to restore
    >from your existing library.
    >
    >H-P offers a DDS-4 autoloader (of course).
    >
    >Other vendors of DDS-4 Autoloaders include Sony
    >(the model TSL-11000 holds eight DDS-4 cartridges)
    >and Seagate (Scorpion).
    >
    >I hope this helps.
    >
    >pdp
    >
    >"Jürgen Breiner" wrote ...
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    >> DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !
    >>
    >> The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    >> night is to short !! :-)))
    >>
    >> So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device
    >>
    >> What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    >> and have tapes for a week ?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Jürgen

  4. Re: Autoloader

    Hello Jürgen,

    I agree with Rainer. We also stopped using our Autoloader after 3 years.
    We're using IBM LTO - works like a charm! Worth buying!

    -jenn

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote:

    >Moin Juergen,
    >
    >our exepirence with DAT autoloader shows,
    >after 3 years of use you have to buy a new one.
    >So it maybe not worse to look for a small DLT
    >or LTO. They stay longer.
    >They are more expencive.
    >Good luck
    >Rainer
    >
    >"Phil Pucci" wrote:
    >>Have you considered DDS-4 DAT drives & media?
    >>
    >>It will hold 20/40GB per tape and it would still offer
    >>compatibility with your existing DDS-3 media.
    >>
    >>It may also come in handy if you need to restore
    >>from your existing library.
    >>
    >>H-P offers a DDS-4 autoloader (of course).
    >>
    >>Other vendors of DDS-4 Autoloaders include Sony
    >>(the model TSL-11000 holds eight DDS-4 cartridges)
    >>and Seagate (Scorpion).
    >>
    >>I hope this helps.
    >>
    >>pdp
    >>
    >>"Jürgen Breiner" wrote ...
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    >>> DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !
    >>>
    >>> The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    >>> night is to short !! :-)))
    >>>
    >>> So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device
    >>>
    >>> What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    >>> and have tapes for a week ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Jürgen

  5. Re: Autoloader

    I agree with the last poster. An LTO unit is deffinately the way to go. IBM
    makes one (3581-L17) that hold 100/200 GBs and hold 7 tapes.

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote:

    >Moin Juergen,
    >
    >our exepirence with DAT autoloader shows,
    >after 3 years of use you have to buy a new one.
    >So it maybe not worse to look for a small DLT
    >or LTO. They stay longer.
    >They are more expencive.
    >Good luck
    >Rainer
    >
    >"Phil Pucci" wrote:
    >>Have you considered DDS-4 DAT drives & media?
    >>
    >>It will hold 20/40GB per tape and it would still offer
    >>compatibility with your existing DDS-3 media.
    >>
    >>It may also come in handy if you need to restore
    >>from your existing library.
    >>
    >>H-P offers a DDS-4 autoloader (of course).
    >>
    >>Other vendors of DDS-4 Autoloaders include Sony
    >>(the model TSL-11000 holds eight DDS-4 cartridges)
    >>and Seagate (Scorpion).
    >>
    >>I hope this helps.
    >>
    >>pdp
    >>
    >>"Jürgen Breiner" wrote ...
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    >>> DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !
    >>>
    >>> The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    >>> night is to short !! :-)))
    >>>
    >>> So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device
    >>>
    >>> What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    >>> and have tapes for a week ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Jürgen

  6. Re: Autoloader

    It is a bit offi-topic, but I would like to learn more about
    the relative economics of LTO drives and media.

    We just purchased a Sony TSL-11000 (eight cartridge
    DDS-4 autoloader) for less than US$1000. The cost of
    extra magazines is around US$75. These magazines
    each hold 8 cartridges, ostensibly seven DDS-4 (or
    other DDS media such as DDS-3) tapes and one
    cleaning cartridge for one week's backup requirements
    for environments that require less than 140GB (or less
    than 280GB compressed) per week. Specifically,
    seven cartridges of 20/40GB each plus the one
    cleaning cartridge. Of course, we run the full eight
    (160/320GB) and then run the cleaning cycle each
    week before inserting a separate eight cartridge
    magazine.

    So, if you run 20 to 30GB per night, as the poster
    suggests, I would like to compare the relative economy
    of this type of drive and media with that of the LTO drive
    and media as mentioned by yourself and others.

    Thanks in advance,

    pdp

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote ....
    > Moin Juergen,
    > our exepirence with DAT autoloader shows,
    > after 3 years of use you have to buy a new one.
    > So it maybe not worse to look for a small DLT
    > or LTO. They stay longer.
    > They are more expencive.
    > Good luck
    > Rainer

    > "Phil Pucci" wrote:
    > >Have you considered DDS-4 DAT drives & media?
    > >
    > >It will hold 20/40GB per tape and it would still offer
    > >compatibility with your existing DDS-3 media.
    > >
    > >It may also come in handy if you need to restore
    > >from your existing library.
    > >
    > >H-P offers a DDS-4 autoloader (of course).
    > >
    > >Other vendors of DDS-4 Autoloaders include Sony
    > >(the model TSL-11000 holds eight DDS-4 cartridges)
    > >and Seagate (Scorpion).
    > >
    > >I hope this helps.
    > >
    > >pdp

    > >"Jürgen Breiner" wrote ...
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> i´m looking for a new AutoLoader - the old HP Surestore
    > >> DAT 24x6 has many problems an the warranty is out !
    > >>
    > >> The Backupdata is to much for backup in the night - or the
    > >> night is to short !! :-)))
    > >>
    > >> So i need a DLT or AIT Storage Device
    > >>
    > >> What is the right device to backup 20-30 GB in the night
    > >> and have tapes for a week ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >> Jürgen

+ Reply to Thread