Nt veritas vs Win2k veritas - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Nt veritas vs Win2k veritas - Veritas Backup Exec ; Are there any difficulties to use veritas 7.x on a nt4 server and then reinstall the server, and then restore the backup with 8.x on a win2k server thats installad, do i loose the security structure ? Any other problems ...

  1. Nt veritas vs Win2k veritas

    Are there any difficulties to use veritas 7.x on a nt4 server and then
    reinstall the server, and then restore the backup with 8.x on a win2k
    server thats installad, do i loose the security structure ?

    Any other problems with this scenrio?

    Thnx
    /Rade

  2. Re: Nt veritas vs Win2k veritas

    Probably is going to depend on the mode in which you are wunning Win2k. If
    you are running Win2k with active directory, then no. But if you are still
    in a NT domain, and the security was set using domain level object (vs
    local), then, in theory, you should be able o maintain file permissions.

    You cannot restore user accounts/groups in this manner. NT and 2K are
    completely different in how they handle these type of objects.

    I suggest testing your senario in a test environment the mimics your
    production environment. Never rely on someone telling you it can or can't
    be done. Every situation is different. The only true way to know you can
    pull it off without blowing up your production environment is to
    test...test...test.

    Also, Microsoft has a lot of good articles on migrating NT to 2K.

    "rade" wrote in message news:3d1054c9$1@hronntp01....
    > Are there any difficulties to use veritas 7.x on a nt4 server and then
    > reinstall the server, and then restore the backup with 8.x on a win2k
    > server thats installad, do i loose the security structure ?
    >
    > Any other problems with this scenrio?
    >
    > Thnx
    > /Rade

+ Reply to Thread