restore selected files - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on restore selected files - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am new to BackUp Exec. When I selected certain files to restore to someone's folder, it took a couple of hours. Then it said it was loading the media. I cancelled out, because I didn't know if I was ...

  1. restore selected files

    I am new to BackUp Exec. When I selected certain files to restore to someone's
    folder, it took a couple of hours. Then it said it was loading the media.
    I cancelled out, because I didn't know if I was doing this right. I need
    to restore these files now! HELP!!

  2. Re: restore selected files

    First, I'm assuming the correct tape was inserted for the restore. If a job
    spans across tapes you will need to carefully examine the catalog for which
    tape in that particular job it needs to complete the restore. Secondly, did
    you inventory the tape? Thirdly, did you redirect the restore? If not, and
    you were attempting a large restore across the network this can be arduous
    and cause general slowdowns for the network, plus the target device must be
    running and accessible. It is often best to redirect the file to the local
    machine during the restore and then once completed move the file/s to
    wherever they need to go. This also prevents the accidental overwriting of
    same named files. After a redirect, you can always manually overwrite
    whatever you want, once you are sure.

    "AJM" wrote in message

    > I am new to BackUp Exec. When I selected certain files to restore to

    someone's
    > folder, it took a couple of hours. Then it said it was loading the media.
    > I cancelled out, because I didn't know if I was doing this right. I need
    > to restore these files now! HELP!!

  3. Re: restore selected files

    I agree with John. From my experience, if I(normally my assistant!) forget
    to do inventory on the tape, the restore job just hangs for hours! It is
    also important that the destination does exist or alive on the network.

    "John Gold" wrote:
    >First, I'm assuming the correct tape was inserted for the restore. If a

    job
    >spans across tapes you will need to carefully examine the catalog for which
    >tape in that particular job it needs to complete the restore. Secondly,

    did
    >you inventory the tape? Thirdly, did you redirect the restore? If not,

    and
    >you were attempting a large restore across the network this can be arduous
    >and cause general slowdowns for the network, plus the target device must

    be
    >running and accessible. It is often best to redirect the file to the local
    >machine during the restore and then once completed move the file/s to
    >wherever they need to go. This also prevents the accidental overwriting

    of
    >same named files. After a redirect, you can always manually overwrite
    >whatever you want, once you are sure.
    >
    >"AJM" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am new to BackUp Exec. When I selected certain files to restore to

    >someone's
    >> folder, it took a couple of hours. Then it said it was loading the media.
    >> I cancelled out, because I didn't know if I was doing this right. I need
    >> to restore these files now! HELP!!

+ Reply to Thread