Backup requiring two tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup requiring two tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec 29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because of this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of ...

  1. Backup requiring two tapes

    I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec
    29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because of
    this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

  2. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    "Jenifer" wrote:

    >I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec
    >29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because

    of
    >this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    >Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    >data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

    Backup Exec version is 8.5

  3. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    Do you have the latest drivers for your device from the drive mfg?
    Latest firmaware on the drive?
    Latest driver fo rthe SCSI controller?

    "Jenifer" wrote:

    >I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec
    >29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because

    of
    >this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    >Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    >data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

  4. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    "Jenifer" wrote:

    >I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec
    >29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because

    of
    >this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    >Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    >data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

    I have seen similar problems with 15/30 tapes. But it turned out to just
    be a bad tape. Are you having the same problem with every tape? Also is
    this a 40/80 or a 20/40? If it is a 20/40 then you should only expect to
    get the low number. I had to back up 127 GB on a 110/220 GB tape and it
    required two tapes because the data being backed up wasn't able to compress
    any smaller.

  5. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    I have found that I'm not getting compression on some drives (this is a
    20/40 drive, isn't it, and you have got hardware compression selected,
    haven't you?) unless I install the Veritas driver for the drive. But even
    then, you can't guarantee 2:1 compression, it depends upon the data type.

    Ken McNulty

    "Jenifer" wrote in message

    > I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an

    Adaptec
    > 29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because of
    > this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    > Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    > data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

  6. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    Yes, I have the latest driver for the tape drive and the latest firmware for
    the SCSI card.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Do you have the latest drivers for your device from the drive mfg?
    >Latest firmaware on the drive?
    >Latest driver fo rthe SCSI controller?
    >

    >"Jenifer" wrote:
    >>
    >>I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an Adaptec
    >>29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because

    >of
    >>this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and Backup
    >>Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    >>data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

  7. Re: Backup requiring two tapes

    Are you telling BE to use compression? By default it does not. Try setting
    the compressiont to "Hardware if available, otherwise Software". Generally
    40GB drives/tapes are 20GB native, 40GB compressed.

    "Jenifer" wrote in message

    > Yes, I have the latest driver for the tape drive and the latest firmware

    for
    > the SCSI card.
    >

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >Do you have the latest drivers for your device from the drive mfg?
    > >Latest firmaware on the drive?
    > >Latest driver fo rthe SCSI controller?
    > >

    > >"Jenifer" wrote:
    > >>
    > >>I have an HP 40Gb DAT drive with HP 40Gb tapes. The SCSI card is an

    Adaptec
    > >>29160 which we changed out due to a recommendation from Veritas because

    > >of
    > >>this problem. The problem is that I have 22Gb of data to backup and

    Backup
    > >>Exec stops at 19Gb then asks for another tape. How can I get all 22Gb of
    > >>data on one 40Gb tape. I have tried several tapes.

+ Reply to Thread