Uh-oh.....think I made a Restore mistake - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Uh-oh.....think I made a Restore mistake - Veritas Backup Exec ; was bringing our spare server online and trying to make sure that it was reading data correctly and would be able to restore and do backups in case of primary system crash. I threw in a tape, selected about 1GB ...

  1. Uh-oh.....think I made a Restore mistake

    was bringing our spare server online and trying to make sure that it was reading
    data correctly and would be able to restore and do backups in case of primary
    system crash.

    I threw in a tape, selected about 1GB of data and clicked RESTORE. since
    it was not on the same system as PDC, I figured it would prompt me for local
    drive to restore to, never did. checked the log about an hour later, said
    it had skipped about 128 files out of 10,500 but it had restored all others.

    after reading the report, I find that it restored the files back across the
    network to the PDC. oh sh*t says me! what I need to know now is what it restored.
    I never changed any of the options on the tabs and yet it restored about
    1GB of data. if the default is to skip if the existing file is more recent,
    then what was it restoring? files with exact same date/time? the option to
    restore over existing files was not selected, just the option "skip more
    recent file".

    servers are NT4, not win2k

    someone please alleviate my anxiety

    thanks,
    tlray

  2. Re: Uh-oh.....think I made a Restore mistake

    You can double check what was selected by seting up a restore again. It should,
    by default, restore the security and folder structure. Hopefully you didn't
    select the registry. You should also still be able to see the job you created
    and verify what you selected. If you chose data then it should not have
    overwritten anything. Hope this helps.
    "tlray" wrote:

    >was bringing our spare server online and trying to make sure that it was

    reading
    >data correctly and would be able to restore and do backups in case of primary
    >system crash.
    >
    >I threw in a tape, selected about 1GB of data and clicked RESTORE. since
    >it was not on the same system as PDC, I figured it would prompt me for local
    >drive to restore to, never did. checked the log about an hour later, said
    >it had skipped about 128 files out of 10,500 but it had restored all others.
    >
    >after reading the report, I find that it restored the files back across

    the
    >network to the PDC. oh sh*t says me! what I need to know now is what it

    restored.
    >I never changed any of the options on the tabs and yet it restored about
    >1GB of data. if the default is to skip if the existing file is more recent,
    >then what was it restoring? files with exact same date/time? the option

    >restore over existing files was not selected, just the option "skip more
    >recent file".
    >
    >servers are NT4, not win2k
    >
    >someone please alleviate my anxiety
    >
    >thanks,